Shoot The Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, anyone who is still on the privatization bandwagon at this point is out of their mind. The government definitely isn’t perfect, but if there’s one thing we’ve learned over this year, this is about the most fucking stable paycheck/employment you can have, even if you’re “non essential.”

“Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority, still more when you superadd the tendency or the certainty of corruption by authority”. This is true of both parties. Anyone who cannot see this is willfully blind and a fool as both parties answer to those they belong to and it’s not the people. I usually vote Republican or libertarian because they more closely mirror my beliefs but I have no illusions. It’s amazing when partisan fools on here act as if AOC isn’t owned by outside interests and isn’t less than a mental genius. They also act as if the Clintons aren’t among the most crooked politicians in recent American history. Is Trump dishonest ? You don’t achieve what he has in New York real estate without being able to play the system but he more closely mirrors my beliefs so that’s where my vote goes.

“Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority, still more when you superadd the tendency or the certainty of corruption by authority”. This is true of both parties. Anyone who cannot see this is willfully blind and a fool as both parties answer to those they belong to and it’s not the people. I usually vote Republican or libertarian because they more closely mirror my beliefs but I have no illusions. It’s amazing when partisan fools on here act as if AOC isn’t owned by outside interests and isn’t less than a mental genius. They also act as if the Clintons aren’t among the most crooked politicians in recent American history. Is Trump dishonest ? You don’t achieve what he has in New York real estate without being able to play the system but he more closely mirrors my beliefs so that’s where my vote goes.
10/10 on the Casablanca reference ?

bothsidesisms is a Trump fan favorite.

bothsidesisms is a Trump fan favorite.
You prove the point with your response. Find a mirror. “No young man should go into politics if he wants to get rich or if he expects an adequate reward for his services. An honest public servant can’t become rich in politics. He can only attain greatness and satisfaction by service.” Harry Truman, Democrat, and yes that is true of both sides

You prove the point with your response. Find a mirror. “No young man should go into politics if he wants to get rich or if he expects an adequate reward for his services. An honest public servant can’t become rich in politics. He can only attain greatness and satisfaction by service.” Harry Truman, Democrat, and yes that is true of both sides
How did I do that? You aren’t actually making a claim here. You’re trying to justify supporting a president who isn’t interested in leading the nation by I think saying AOCs intentions aren’t genuine. Trump is solely interested in power and political gains and doesn’t care if he sacrifices the health of the nation to get it.

How did I do that? You aren’t actually making a claim here. You’re trying to justify supporting a president who isn’t interested in leading the nation by I think saying AOCs intentions aren’t genuine. Trump is solely interested in power and political gains and doesn’t care if he sacrifices the health of the nation to get it.
You really have drank the left wing kool aide haven’t you. Have you ever stopped to consider that it just might be possible the the unintended consequences of your precious party’s shut down will cost more lives in the long run than the virus ? Is that possible or are you that blinded by partisan hate ? Is it possible that the administration is doing its best to balance the health costs with the economic cost ? They are tied together whether you are blinded to that or not. I am not asking if you agree with the policy, just whether it is possible. I believe Bill Clinton governed well when he was in office in spite of his morals. Can you say one good thing you think Donald Trump has done? If not then there is no discussion as you are a zealot. Read the last sentence of your post. Someone who truly believes that is incapable of independent thought.

You really have drank the left wing kool aide haven’t you. Have you ever stopped to consider that it just might be possible the the unintended consequences of your precious party’s shut down will cost more lives in the long run than the virus ? Is that possible or are you that blinded by partisan hate ? Is it possible that the administration is doing its best to balance the health costs with the economic cost ? They are tied together whether you are blinded to that or not. I am not asking if you agree with the policy, just whether it is possible. I believe Bill Clinton governed well when he was in office in spite of his morals. Can you say one good thing you think Donald Trump has done? If not then there is no discussion as you are a zealot. Read the last sentence of your post. Someone who truly believes that is incapable of independent thought.
Absolutely absurd take. This is the 3rd most deadly event in US history after WW2 and The Civil War. And that’s a fact.

Lol okay dude, it’s pretty funny that you can type all of that out and say I’m the one who’s drinking the kool aid.

I think trump has some good ideas but his delivery is so ham fisted and inept that it always blows up in his face. He literally has no concept of how to lead a nation or how to effectively govern. I’m not a partisan, I don’t belong to a political party but I know a fool who isn’t good for this country when I see one and that’s what trump is. I don’t like Biden that much but you bet your ass I’ll vote for him before I vote for trump or stay at home.

Lol okay dude, it’s pretty funny that you can type all of that out and say I’m the one who’s drinking the kool aid.

I think trump has some good ideas but his delivery is so ham fisted and inept that it always blows up in his face. He literally has no concept of how to lead a nation or how to effectively govern. I’m not a partisan, I don’t belong to a political party but I know a fool who isn’t good for this country when I see one and that’s what trump is. I don’t like Biden that much but you bet your ass I’ll vote for him before I vote for trump or stay at home.
I’d vote for Romney or McCain if it confirmed trump is out and I’m a full blown libtard

Have you ever stopped to consider that it just might be possible the the unintended consequences of your precious party’s shut down will cost more lives in the long run than the virus ?

possible, but unlikely. Can you admit it’s possible the shutdown and subsequent economic damage etc would be less if the fed government bothered to govern and instituted nationwide policies to curb the spread rather than let each state come up with whatever it felt like doing unaided by any national guidance? Imagine if the whole nation was at the point that Ny and most of the rest of the northeast was at.
Is it possible that the administration is doing its best to balance the health costs with the economic cost ?
No, it’s not. Trumps boy Kuschner deliberately stalled forming a national task force or implementing a plan because it was only blue states that were getting hit. The administration had a golden opportunity to unite the country and show leadership and blew it, killing Americans in the process.
Can you say one good thing you think Donald Trump has done?
We haven’t invaded anyone new since he took office.

they don’t want to govern. Their whole philosophy is that government is bad. Their strategy is to gain control, ruin government agencies and legislate then to the point of being unable to function, and then hold them up as examples of how government is broken and doesn’t work. Their current attack on the USPS is a perfect example. The only reason the USPS is in the state it is now is because of Republican legislature from 2006.
The problem with so many people these days, yourself included, is they think that government is good. Government undoubtedly is broken and doesn't work. Look at anything the government has ever gotten involved with. The costs go up and the quality goes down. Government intervention distorts markets and picks winners and losers. The government exacerbates hardship and inequality where it otherwise would not be nearly as extreme. Government isn't meant to provide for you or give you things. It's meant to secure your inalienable rights. Alas, let's take a closer look at just a few of the things the government has royally fucked up over the years.

1. Housing: You know who orchestrated the 2008 financial collapse with good intentions? Government. The Bush administration wanted everyone to own a house whether they could afford it or not and were approving everyone and their brother for a loan. Banks didn't care because they were getting fees and all the loans were guaranteed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (gov organizations) so the banks couldn't lose. It couldn't possibly go tits up. Until one day it did. All the moral hazard finally caught up and the whole market crashed and brought down everything with it. Not to mention the Fed, which kept interests rates low after the dotcom bubble popped in 2000. They are complicit too because without their help, it wouldn't have been so easy for people to borrow and speculate on things they couldn't afford with someone else's money. Fast forward to today and home ownership is still unattainable for much of our generation. Low interest rates for the past 12 years have helped to re-inflate the housing bubble but hey, the Fed says theirs no inflation anywhere to be seen so fuck it!

2. Education: Any idea why college is so expensive and new college grads have insurmountable debt? Government. They wanted to make it more affordable for everyone to attend so they decided to guarantee all student loans before eventually just taking over and lending directly to the students. No one should be denied an education based on their inability to pay (or even get a degree which would enable them to pay it back) so here, take out as much money as you need and don't worry about it! What could go wrong? The only problem is universities know it too so they raise tuition far above the rate of inflation every year and schools are still full because the government has unlimited money to lend out and no shortage of idiots willing to borrow it. Then it all backfires and the Dems say we need student loan forgiveness and free college but they forget that it was the government trying to make college more affordable that made it so expensive in the first place.

3. Healthcare: Another area that is ridiculously expensive and significantly outpaces inflation. It used to be affordable for Americans to have good health insurance at a low price. Then Obamacare came along and with it came soaring healthcare costs. Insurance companies could no longer turn anyone away or charge them more. That meant even if the insurance company knew they were never going to be able to profit because someone had a preexisting condition, they were still forced to insure them. For some people, in essence it was just a cheaper way to pay for their healthcare and expensive procedures because it's cheaper to just pay for the insurance. Unfortunately, insurance companies must make a profit to stay in business so everyone's premiums had to rise substantially. Before you get all mad and say "Oh, so people should just die in the streets?" Fuck the greedy insurance companies, make them pay!" the answer is no people didn't die in the streets before obamacare and yes insurance companies are need to make a profit to stay in business. Even with insurance companies making a profit, healthcare is more affordable and higher quality than when the government fucks it up.

4. Social Security: Not much to say here. It's the biggest ponzi scheme in history and it's insolvent. All of it's "assets" are just government bonds which basically just means that the government taxed you, bought their own bonds with the money, and put it in a trust fund. Then they spent the proceeds of the bond sale but now it's an unfunded liability that needs to be paid back with interest. That's government efficiency at it's finest.

5. Wealth Inequality: Libs love to hate on guys like Jeff Bezos but the only reason he is so rich is because of excess taxes and regulations making it so hard for smaller businesses to compete. The big multinational companies of the world can afford to deal with minimum wage laws, pay mandated health benefits to full time workers, OT, etc. But making those things required as opposed to a private agreement between employer and employee limits freedom of choice while making it harder and more expensive for anyone to compete. Additionally, the Fed has kept interest rates so low for so long that it has completely destroyed anyone's ability to save in a bank or bond so everyone has to have stock market exposure. That's why when coronavirus or something else comes along and crushes the market, the Fed has to print trillions and trillions of dollars to prop it back up or else every average Joe with a 401k is fucked. In the process, Bezos becomes $100B richer and everyone else is still poor or worse off than before.

6. USPS: I was going to leave this one out but since you love to go back to this example time and time again, I'll address it. The USPS is outdated and antiquated. It's 2020. Who the fuck is still sending snail mail other than Subway mailing me some coupons? At the very least, USPS needs to be downsized and increase prices to stop operating at a loss. I know you love to talk about how the R's fucked it over by making them fund pensions for 75 years but that's a false claim. Back in 2006, they did pass a bill to require them to fund retiree health benefits, not pensions. Yes, it sucked that they required all of the benefits to be funded within 10 years but after the Great Recession in '09 (only 3 years) the USPS ended up just defaulting and not funding them. In 2019, the health fund paid out $3.7B while it took in $3.775B to cover those expenses plus $789M to fund future expenses. So basically it cost them $789M extra. After all was said and done, the USPS lost a total of $8.8B in FY19 but yeah, I guess we could blame all their woes on the R's from '06.

The problem with so many people these days, yourself included, is they think that government is good. Government undoubtedly is broken and doesn't work. Look at anything the government has ever gotten involved with. The costs go up and the quality goes down. Government intervention distorts markets and picks winners and losers. The government exacerbates hardship and inequality where it otherwise would not be nearly as extreme. Government isn't meant to provide for you or give you things. It's meant to secure your inalienable rights. Alas, let's take a closer look at just a few of the things the government has royally fucked up over the years.

1. Housing: You know who orchestrated the 2008 financial collapse with good intentions? Government. The Bush administration wanted everyone to own a house whether they could afford it or not and were approving everyone and their brother for a loan. Banks didn't care because they were getting fees and all the loans were guaranteed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (gov organizations) so the banks couldn't lose. It couldn't possibly go tits up. Until one day it did. All the moral hazard finally caught up and the whole market crashed and brought down everything with it. Not to mention the Fed, which kept interests rates low after the dotcom bubble popped in 2000. They are complicit too because without their help, it wouldn't have been so easy for people to borrow and speculate on things they couldn't afford with someone else's money. Fast forward to today and home ownership is still unattainable for much of our generation. Low interest rates for the past 12 years have helped to re-inflate the housing bubble but hey, the Fed says theirs no inflation anywhere to be seen so fuck it!

2. Education: Any idea why college is so expensive and new college grads have insurmountable debt? Government. They wanted to make it more affordable for everyone to attend so they decided to guarantee all student loans before eventually just taking over and lending directly to the students. No one should be denied an education based on their inability to pay (or even get a degree which would enable them to pay it back) so here, take out as much money as you need and don't worry about it! What could go wrong? The only problem is universities know it too so they raise tuition far above the rate of inflation every year and schools are still full because the government has unlimited money to lend out and no shortage of idiots willing to borrow it. Then it all backfires and the Dems say we need student loan forgiveness and free college but they forget that it was the government trying to make college more affordable that made it so expensive in the first place.

3. Healthcare: Another area that is ridiculously expensive and significantly outpaces inflation. It used to be affordable for Americans to have good health insurance at a low price. Then Obamacare came along and with it came soaring healthcare costs. Insurance companies could no longer turn anyone away or charge them more. That meant even if the insurance company knew they were never going to be able to profit because someone had a preexisting condition, they were still forced to insure them. For some people, in essence it was just a cheaper way to pay for their healthcare and expensive procedures because it's cheaper to just pay for the insurance. Unfortunately, insurance companies must make a profit to stay in business so everyone's premiums had to rise substantially. Before you get all mad and say "Oh, so people should just die in the streets?" Fuck the greedy insurance companies, make them pay!" the answer is no people didn't die in the streets before obamacare and yes insurance companies are need to make a profit to stay in business. Even with insurance companies making a profit, healthcare is more affordable and higher quality than when the government fucks it up.

4. Social Security: Not much to say here. It's the biggest ponzi scheme in history and it's insolvent. All of it's "assets" are just government bonds which basically just means that the government taxed you, bought their own bonds with the money, and put it in a trust fund. Then they spent the proceeds of the bond sale but now it's an unfunded liability that needs to be paid back with interest. That's government efficiency at it's finest.

5. Wealth Inequality: Libs love to hate on guys like Jeff Bezos but the only reason he is so rich is because of excess taxes and regulations making it so hard for smaller businesses to compete. The big multinational companies of the world can afford to deal with minimum wage laws, pay mandated health benefits to full time workers, OT, etc. But making those things required as opposed to a private agreement between employer and employee limits freedom of choice while making it harder and more expensive for anyone to compete. Additionally, the Fed has kept interest rates so low for so long that it has completely destroyed anyone's ability to save in a bank or bond so everyone has to have stock market exposure. That's why when coronavirus or something else comes along and crushes the market, the Fed has to print trillions and trillions of dollars to prop it back up or else every average Joe with a 401k is fucked. In the process, Bezos becomes $100B richer and everyone else is still poor or worse off than before.

6. USPS: I was going to leave this one out but since you love to go back to this example time and time again, I'll address it. The USPS is outdated and antiquated. It's 2020. Who the fuck is still sending snail mail other than Subway mailing me some coupons? At the very least, USPS needs to be downsized and increase prices to stop operating at a loss. I know you love to talk about how the R's fucked it over by making them fund pensions for 75 years but that's a false claim. Back in 2006, they did pass a bill to require them to fund retiree health benefits, not pensions. Yes, it sucked that they required all of the benefits to be funded within 10 years but after the Great Recession in '09 (only 3 years) the USPS ended up just defaulting and not funding them. In 2019, the health fund paid out $3.7B while it took in $3.775B to cover those expenses plus $789M to fund future expenses. So basically it cost them $789M extra. After all was said and done, the USPS lost a total of $8.8B in FY19 but yeah, I guess we could blame all their woes on the R's from '06.
Umm dyk that we too are the government

4F7B4D1E-0B1B-4D79-93CE-CF6253CA3668.jpeg

Umm dyk that we too are the government
Yes but that doesn't negate what I said. I work for the government because I enjoy the job and the have a monopoly on the industry. You know as well as I do that the government isn't efficient/doesn't make cost effective decisions because they don't have to. If they did, you would be a CPC washout by now and my facility would be closed, but here we are.

Then continue to live in blissful ignorance.

Yes but that doesn't negate what I said. I work for the government because I enjoy the job and the have a monopoly on the industry. You know as well as I do that the government isn't efficient/doesn't make cost effective decisions because they don't have to. If they did, you would be a CPC by now and my facility would be closed, but here we are.

Then continue to live in blissful ignorance.
You know you can fix some of those things. Like capping education costs or consumer protections in lending like they did after 2008 but were repealed by the current admin.

also the post office is a god send for anyone that is rural to get packages at non astronomical prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom