Shoot The Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Homie you know I love you to death but if you think the housing crisis in this country has nothing to do with large firms buying huge numbers of houses to control supply and pricing, and to generate income from mass rental property ownership, among other things (including the insane cost of an education keeping young people too poor to afford a home to begin with for many years), or that the last pre covid economic dump had nothing to do with mega banks playing money games in relation to bad real estate investments to make a buck (which ended up being another backwards ass wealth transfer scam in and if itself) .... Man I've got nothing to say to that, that's short sighted at the very best.

I'm not saying that's the case everywhere (obviously population density and an actual supply problem plays a factor in places like Long Island or the bay area) but look at places like Dallas where huge numbers of homes are being bought up by holding companies for cash only to flip, rent, or control supply. Shit is happening everywhere.

The faster we all realize we aren't all billionaires in waiting and start voting in our own best interests, not what our interests may be one day, the better.
Dawg imma let you finish...but I absolutely agree with you. I wasnt saying that corporations are blameless...I'm saying that the govt paves the way for them to write their own legislation to make it easier for them to stifle competition. One hand is feeding the other...how many SEC members are former big bank employees, and vice versa? My point was that companies and people are always going to take advantage of opportunities presented to them. Is BoA an "evil company?" Most definitely, but I doubt that there's any publicly held bank beholden to its stockholders that wouldn't make the same moves presented with the same opportunities.

Dawg imma let you finish...but I absolutely agree with you. I wasnt saying that corporations are blameless...I'm saying that the govt paves the way for them to write their own legislation to make it easier for them to stifle competition. One hand is feeding the other...how many SEC members are former big bank employees, and vice versa? My point was that companies and people are always going to take advantage of opportunities presented to them. Is BoA an "evil company?" Most definitely, but I doubt that there's any publicly held bank beholden to its stockholders that wouldn't make the same moves presented with the same opportunities.
Okay so let's regulate more and make rules against buying influence, instead of deregulating more (which is a huge part of the problem in the financial sector). How is saying fuck it do whatever gonna help?

I don't see how you or Edds can ignore that there were essentially zero financial collapses between the 30s and the 70s while the new deal banking and financial regulations where in place, and once those started getting chipped away, we started having problems again and have been propping the market up ever since in one way or the other.

Between Edds being totally revisionist in his views on gilded age America (the most "libertarian" in American history mind you) and how that led to the great depression, and ignoring how many people the new deal put back to work and got us on the road to recovery, not thru trickle down, but thru gov works projects and public infrastructure work and your acknowledgement that the companies are a big part of the problem, so we should let them..... Do more shiesty shit to make money I really don't know how to counter that if you can't see the disconnect there.

Yall need to put down the rand utopia novels and pick up some chomsky. All I know is people like you and me don't do any better while BOA execs line their pockets and pay bonuses with our tax dollars because they are too big to fail. In tired of let them eat cake economics.

Okay so let's regulate more and make rules against buying influence, instead of deregulating more (which is a huge part of the problem in the financial sector). How is saying fuck it do whatever gonna help?

I don't see how you or Edds can ignore that there were essentially zero financial collapses between the 30s and the 70s while the new deal banking and financial regulations where in place, and once those started getting chipped away, we started having problems again and have been propping the market up ever since in one way or the other.

Between Edds being totally revisionist in his views on gilded age America (the most "libertarian" in American history mind you) and how that led to the great depression, and ignoring how many people the new deal put back to work and got us on the road to recovery, not thru trickle down, but thru gov works projects and public infrastructure work and your acknowledgement that the companies are a big part of the problem, so we should let them..... Do more shiesty shit to make money I really don't know how to counter that if you can't see the disconnect there.

Yall need to put down the rand utopia novels and pick up some chomsky. All I know is people like you and me don't do any better while BOA execs line their pockets and pay bonuses with our tax dollars because they are too big to fail. In tired of let them eat cake economics.
The new deal was signed in 33 and the economy was still shit in 39 until we joined WW2 so idk how you can say FDR and his big ol government checkbook saved the day. 6 years of big government spending and work projects and the economy was still a disaster. Also, I'm not pro big business. I hate the corporatism/cronyism being disguised as capitalism that we have today because true capitalism gets blamed for everything that goes wrong. Businesses should be allowed to fail and the Republicans are just as corrupt as the Dems. Both sides are evil and to pretend one isn't as bad as the other is just ignorant of the truth.

Here you go...

Yeah, and the government used the Great Depression to swoop in and take on a role as "champion of the downtrodden" while they chipped away at personal liberties and freedoms, just like the Patroit Act was extremely patriotic. You can look at pretty much any example of any crisis in US history and there will be a corresponding move by the government "helping" by taking away personal freedoms.

The New Deal programs enacted tripled the tax revenue taken in by the government by robbing Peter to give to Paul. The taxes imposed by the New Deal to fund these unicorn programs prolonged the high unemployment rates that were really only tempered by the onset of WWII...although granted I'd probably be much more ok with building $1t on new dams and bridges than $1t on the F35. They also imposed minimum wages that were unsustainable for many low-skill sector jobs (see Seattle for a great example on how artificially inflating minimum wage increases low-income worker prosperity).

I dont claim to have a degree in economics, but the deliberate obfuscation of the inner workings of the Federal Reserve doesnt make it easier. In general, the more involved in anything the government gets into, the worse off the consumer.

Even $20/hour at 50 hours a week for 4 months a year wouldnt make a dent in the average college tuition. It's much more involved than just an earnings disparity.
But your citing 1 government policy and disregarding another which was way better back then. Minimum wage.

The Spanish Flu killed 675,000...... so its not a fact. LOL
You owned me. Maybe we can do more Benghazi investigations then

Yeah, and the government used the Great Depression to swoop in and take on a role as "champion of the downtrodden" while they chipped away at personal liberties and freedoms, just like the Patroit Act was extremely patriotic. You can look at pretty much any example of any crisis in US history and there will be a corresponding move by the government "helping" by taking away personal freedoms.

The New Deal programs enacted tripled the tax revenue taken in by the government by robbing Peter to give to Paul. The taxes imposed by the New Deal to fund these unicorn programs prolonged the high unemployment rates that were really only tempered by the onset of WWII...although granted I'd probably be much more ok with building $1t on new dams and bridges than $1t on the F35. They also imposed minimum wages that were unsustainable for many low-skill sector jobs (see Seattle for a great example on how artificially inflating minimum wage increases low-income worker prosperity).

I dont claim to have a degree in economics, but the deliberate obfuscation of the inner workings of the Federal Reserve doesnt make it easier. In general, the more involved in anything the government gets into, the worse off the consumer.
Such simple concepts, yet so hard to understand for so many. It's nice to see some brothers who get it. I tell ya, I'd love grab a pint someday with the Libertarian Lads of this site such as yourself and GulfCharlie. Next time The War on Drugs (the band, not the horrible failure of yet another bad gov policy) comes to Philly, first round is on me.

Is this supposed to be an own? So it’s the 4th worst? Does that make it any better?
Are you counting flu deaths? That would make it 5th, or maybe medical malpractice, or maybe car crashes, heart disease? China released a virus and the goverment couldnt do anything to stop it even if they pulled out all the bells and whistles. The 14 days to flatten the curve was a stopgap to not overwhelm hospitals, not a cure all. So to say it's one of the worst things in history is hardly accurate.

Are you counting flu deaths? That would make it 5th, or maybe medical malpractice, or maybe car crashes, heart disease? China released a virus and the goverment couldnt do anything to stop it even if they pulled out all the bells and whistles. The 14 days to flatten the curve was a stopgap to not overwhelm hospitals, not a cure all. So to say it's one of the worst things in history is hardly accurate.
Were talking about single events. A flu epidemic Is one event, so like Spanish flu or swine flu. You don’t count every flu death ever and compare it to covid, of course that’s not the same thing.

Flu deaths? There’s not 200,000 flu deaths in 6 months

Flu deaths? There’s not 200,000 flu deaths in 6 months
If you start counting people who die from motorcycle wrecks and gunshots(and every other random thing they could) it makes getting to that number a lot easier.

Were talking about single events. A flu epidemic Is one event, so like Spanish flu or swine flu. You don’t count every flu death ever and compare it to covid, of course that’s not the same thing.
Well what about obesity in the US per year?

Reactions: twn
I don't see how you or Edds can ignore that there were essentially zero financial collapses between the 30s and the 70s while the new deal banking and financial regulations where in place,

I mean, between the Indo-Chinese war and WW2 there was only one industrial superpower, fairly easy to be successful when there isn't competition. Then companies kept focusing on quality over quantity, then slowly lean chains and quality focus gave rise to foreign companies fucking up US companies. Best example of this is Toyota.

Such simple concepts, yet so hard to understand for so many. It's nice to see some brothers who get it. I tell ya, I'd love grab a pint someday with the Libertarian Lads of this site such as yourself and GulfCharlie. Next time The War on Drugs (the band, not the horrible failure of yet another bad gov policy) comes to Philly, first round is on me.
Big brain time over here Screenshot_20200922-223125_BaconReader.jpg

Libertarians believe in some kind of Corporate Utopia where business expects profits based on doing good services that will benefit mankind rather than the abuse of workers, shortcuts, and greed that they have shown again and again is their norm. The tech industry, Tesla, Boeing and Amazon being the latest prime examples. The Libertarian utopia is about as obtainable and realistic as the Communist Workers Paradise.

I mean, between the Indo-Chinese war and WW2 there was only one industrial superpower, fairly easy to be successful when there isn't competition. Then companies kept focusing on quality over quantity, then slowly lean chains and quality focus gave rise to foreign companies fucking up US companies. Best example of this is Toyota.
I mean that's good and fine of course there were other factors but that doesn't account for the fucking the US populace is getting today at the behest of giant corporations and financial institutions when 70 percent of our economy is based on finding new and more complex ways of moving fake digital money around so rich dudes can get richer, and that same wealthy donor class convinces entities in the government to enable them to rob us all blind.

Hell general electric makes more money on financial holdings these days than it does actually making shit. But Ya, it's definitely them rice burnin cars causing the issue huh?

The whole thing is an artifical shell game. That's part of the reason why the China, S Korea and Japan are skyrocketing to the moon economically speaking. They still produce tangible things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom