Shoot The Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you can fix some of those things. Like capping education costs or consumer protections in lending like they did after 2008 but were repealed by the current admin.

also the post office is a god send for anyone that is rural to get packages at non astronomical prices.
I respect the constitution which establishes the post office but that doesn't mean it should operate at a loss to deliver packages to Bumfuck, AK.

Why is your solution to "fix things" to implement more government regulations? Don't you get it? The government caused all of the problems. They don't have the ability to fix anything. Do you really think the government is going to make the best decisions for every individual on their behalf by writing legislation? No, they are going to distort and fuck up the market even more.

The only thing that can fix those issues is the free market. The absolute biggest problem today is that interest rates are too low. The fed should not be setting interest rates. Who is some government appointed bureaucrat to say what the correct level of interest rates are? If the government got out of the loan business that they shouldn't even be in and let markets set interest rates, almost every problem would be solved. It would bring about some pain in the short term as a result of the recovering from all the problems and bubbles that have been inflated in the past 20 years but it is the only way to solve all the problems.

Who the fuck would be dumb enough to loan an 18 year old kid 100k to go major in dance or philosophy? The government. That's it. Why do you have such a hard on for big government telling you what you can and can't do? Why do you like them having so much control of your life? Maybe some day once all you have willingly voted away all of your independence, you will reminisce on the good old days but at that point it will be too late.

I respect the constitution which establishes the post office but that doesn't mean it should operate at a loss to deliver packages to Bumfuck, AK.

Why is your solution to "fix things" to implement more government regulations? Don't you get it? The government caused all of the problems. They don't have the ability to fix anything. Do you really think the government is going to make the best decisions for every individual on their behalf by writing legislation? No, they are going to distort and fuck up the market even more.

The only thing that can fix those issues is the free market. The absolute biggest problem today is that interest rates are too low. The fed should not be setting interest rates. Who is some government appointed bureaucrat to say what the correct level of interest rates are? If the government got out of the loan business that they shouldn't even be in and let markets set interest rates, almost every problem would be solved. It would bring about some pain in the short term as a result of the recovering from all the problems and bubbles that have been inflated in the past 20 years but it is the only way to solve all the problems.

Who the fuck would be dumb enough to loan an 18 year old kid 100k to go major in dance or philosophy? The government. That's it. Why do you have such a hard on for big government telling you what you can and can't do? Why do you like them having so much control of your life? Maybe some day once all you have willingly voted away all of your independence, you will reminisce on the good old days but at that point it will be too late.

The government is so bad I’m going go ahead and work for it

The government is so bad I’m going go ahead and work for it
More like "the government has offered me the opportunity to take advantage of it, so dont mind if I do."

Adding to what edds said, the reason you can't buy a house or put yourself through college by working a few summers during high school isn't because of big bad evil corporations, it's because of government overreach causing the cost of consumer goods and services to outpace inflation immeasurably.

“I don’t understand how anyone could have a different opinion than me so I’m going to criticize you!”

More like "the government has offered me the opportunity to take advantage of it, so dont mind if I do."

Adding to what edds said, the reason you can't buy a house or put yourself through college by working a few summers during high school isn't because of big bad evil corporations, it's because of government overreach causing the cost of consumer goods and services to outpace inflation immeasurably.
I’ll be honest, I didn’t think I’d see the “actually corporations are good” argument today.

given that you work for the government, I’m going to take your advice and assume you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.

This is utter nonsense. Go look at what happened in Canada during the housing crisis. Their banks weren't caught with their pants down because of the banking capital regulations. The greed of the free market is what caused the situation to spiral out of control in the first place.

this is why people should read an economics textbook before they say anything about the economy,

there are philo and dance majors at major US banks making more than you or I ever will lmao

source: one of my best friends is a "lowly" philo major at a major bank making 200K+ all in a year under the age of 25

given that you work for the government, I’m going to take your advice and assume you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.
I may work for the government, but opposite the typical government stance, I do not claim to know what is best for you and your life. I don't want to control your life through laws that I deem are necessary to make your life better. I just want to leave you alone and let you make the best choices for you. But sure, go ahead and make a little joke because you can't refute what I said.

This is utter nonsense. Go look at what happened in Canada during the housing crisis. Their banks weren't caught with their pants down because of the banking capital regulations. The greed of the free market is what caused the situation to spiral out of control in the first place.
The only reason the banks were caught with their pants down in America is because the government insured all the loans so they couldn't lose. The gov got in bed with the free market and fucked everything up. Absent federal loan guarantees, no bank would be dumb enough to loan 400k to someone with no income and a shit fico score to buy a house.

this is why people should read an economics textbook before they say anything about the economy,

there are philo and dance majors at major US banks making more than you or I ever will lmao

source: one of my best friends is a "lowly" philo major at a major bank making 200K+ all in a year under the age of 25
Damn bro, then you and your Masters in Keynesian Economics are probably qualified to make minimum $1M at a bank. Why tf are you still here doing ATC? If what you say is true, your friend is an anomaly. I'd venture to say most philo and dance majors are working jobs that don't require a degree at all.

I may work for the government, but opposite the typical government stance, I do not claim to know what is best for you and your life. I don't want to control your life through laws that I deem are necessary to make your life better. I just want to leave you alone and let you make the best choices for you. But sure, go ahead and make a little joke because you can't refute what I said.

The only reason the banks were caught with their pants down in America is because the government insured all the loans so they couldn't lose. The gov got in bed with the free market and fucked everything up. Absent federal loan guarantees, no bank would be dumb enough to loan 400k to someone with no income and a shit fico score to buy a house.

Damn bro, then you and your Masters in Keynesian Economics are probably qualified to make minimum $1M at a bank. Why tf are you still here doing ATC? If what you say is true, your friend is an anomaly. I'd venture to say most philo and dance majors are working jobs that don't require a degree at all.

I'm here because working at a bank is soul sucking and the money isn't too important to me lmao. Experienced that first hand.
Glad you remembered though.

Most philo and dance majors aren't in it for the money, but yes, I agree with the point that people shouldn't go into debt for a major with limited earnings potential. Thinking that the government shouldn't affect the free market is ludicrous though. Should the economy just have been allowed to collapse during the Great Depression? I doubt many people would agree with you when the unemployment rate hit 25%, government intervention (along with JP Morgan) literally saved the country from collapsing.

How did I do that? You aren’t actually making a claim here. You’re trying to justify supporting a president who isn’t interested in leading the nation by I think saying AOCs intentions aren’t genuine. Trump is solely interested in power and political gains and doesn’t care if he sacrifices the health of the nation to get it.
That is so delusional the dude literally loses money every day personally. He definitely isn’t interested in leading us with lowest unemployment numbers across the board pre pandemic and now 3 peace deals and pulling troops. Do you actually want him to start WW3 so y’all can be right?

Does anyone live in one of these places where you can get a drink after the mid? I’m always so tired I can barely make it home to sleep
In the south. At a bar. Without a mask. Or corona.

Even with relaxed lending standards, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae didn't deal in the loans to people with no jobs and no income. They did hold a sizable amount of subprime loans, but they never dealt in the CDOs that precipitated the crisis.

I personally do not believe that government is infallible or that government can solve all our problems for us. But the unregulated free market has some tremendous drawbacks that need to be taken into account. Heck, read some Adam Smith and even he had some misgivings

Yeah, anyone who is still on the privatization bandwagon at this point is out of their mind. The government definitely isn’t perfect, but if there’s one thing we’ve learned over this year, this is about the most fucking stable paycheck/employment you can have, even if you’re “non essential.”
So you don’t agree with Paul and Trish so we’re clear. Cause they’ve been selling us downstream toward privatization for years. It’s disguised as Stable Predictable Funding

I find it funny that people think private corporations do things cheaper than the government does, as if the we should be happy that the corp that gives zero pto and overworks their employees is SUCH a better option. Bootlicking corps is gross

Is the government bad or is it big business that's bad?
Answer: what is actually bad is that big business heavily influences government, which then is bad too.

Free market... pssh.
I'm of the opinion that we should all have the opportunity to accumulate so much wealth that we don't know what to do with it, and currently we do.
What I'm against is accumulating so much wealth that we don't know what to do with it, and then multiplying that by 100 or 1000.

It’s also because minimum wage then is equal to over 20
Dollars an hour now.

That is so delusional the dude literally loses money every day personally. He definitely isn’t interested in leading us with lowest unemployment numbers across the board pre pandemic and now 3 peace deals and pulling troops. Do you actually want him to start WW3 so y’all can be right?
That’s hilarious that you think he’s losing money when he makes the secret service rent golf carts at his resort for six figure costs.

just using AF1 is a presidential salary cost saving over his clapped out 757

but we’ll never know because he won’t release his tax returns. Even though he said he would after the election or after the audit which I guess is 5 years long now. Another lie.

That’s hilarious that you think he’s losing money when he makes the secret service rent golf carts at his resort for six figure costs.

just using AF1 is a presidential salary cost saving over his clapped out 757

but we’ll never know because he won’t release his tax returns. Even though he said he would after the election or after the audit which I guess is 5 years long now. Another lie.
I stared at my phone for like 5 minutes trying to figure out what he was talking about.

Is the government bad or is it big business that's bad?
Answer: what is actually bad is that big business heavily influences government, which then is bad too.

Free market... pssh.
I'm of the opinion that we should all have the opportunity to accumulate so much wealth that we don't know what to do with it, and currently we do.
What I'm against is accumulating so much wealth that we don't know what to do with it, and then multiplying that by 100 or 1000.
Yep.

Politicians exist for the mere illusion of freedom of choice. We do not have a choice, voice, whatever. Vote all you want and however you want, but at the end of it all, these politicians have been bought off and paid for by the true owners of our country: Big business.

Homie you know I love you to death but if you think the housing crisis in this country has nothing to do with large firms buying huge numbers of houses to control supply and pricing, and to generate income from mass rental property ownership, among other things (including the insane cost of an education keeping young people too poor to afford a home to begin with for many years), or that the last pre covid economic dump had nothing to do with mega banks playing money games in relation to bad real estate investments to make a buck (which ended up being another backwards ass wealth transfer scam in and if itself) .... Man I've got nothing to say to that, that's short sighted at the very best.

I'm not saying that's the case everywhere (obviously population density and an actual supply problem plays a factor in places like Long Island or the bay area) but look at places like Dallas where huge numbers of homes are being bought up by holding companies for cash only to flip, rent, or control supply. Shit is happening everywhere.

The faster we all realize we aren't all billionaires in waiting and start voting in our own best interests, not what our interests may be one day, the better.

Last edited:
I'm here because working at a bank is soul sucking and the money isn't too important to me lmao. Experienced that first hand.
Glad you remembered though.

Most philo and dance majors aren't in it for the money, but yes, I agree with the point that people shouldn't go into debt for a major with limited earnings potential. Thinking that the government shouldn't affect the free market is ludicrous though. Should the economy just have been allowed to collapse during the Great Depression? I doubt many people would agree with you when the unemployment rate hit 25%, government intervention (along with JP Morgan) literally saved the country from collapsing.
I know we're going to disagree here but let's try anyways... the Great Depression was caused and subsequently made worse by monetary and fiscal policy. The easy money policies of the 1920's which lead to great expansion lead to the Great Depression once credit began to contract. Obviously, the following few years were nothing short of a disaster but where I disagree with you is that the New Deal did anything to bring us out of the Great Depression. Some say the New Deal actually dragged out the depression longer than it otherwise would have lasted. Idk what they taught you in school but contrary to popular belief, the government spending borrowed or printed money doesn't stimulate any organic growth. It can only sometimes create the illusion that it's working. If all problems could be solved by spending gov money, the world's problems would've been solved by now. Government can only redistribute money/purchasing power that it first extracts from someone else, but it inefficiently squanders some of it in the process.

Even with relaxed lending standards, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae didn't deal in the loans to people with no jobs and no income. They did hold a sizable amount of subprime loans, but they never dealt in the CDOs that precipitated the crisis.

I personally do not believe that government is infallible or that government can solve all our problems for us. But the unregulated free market has some tremendous drawbacks that need to be taken into account. Heck, read some Adam Smith and even he had some misgivings
Whether or not the made NINJA loans, they made massive amount of subprime loans to people who ultimately couldn't afford to pay them and ended up taking huge losses, which ultimately fell on the taxpayers when the federal government completely took them over and their toxic balance sheets in 2008.

Free markets aren't completely perfect, but they are the most perfect system that exists. What are the biggest drawbacks that concern you?

Homie you know I love you to death but if you think the housing crisis in this country has nothing to do with large firms buying huge numbers of houses to control supply and pricing, and to generate income from mass rental property ownership, among other things (including the insane cost of an education keeping young people too poor to afford a home to begin with for many years), or that the last pre covid economic dump had nothing to do with mega banks playing money games in relation to bad real estate investments to make a buck (which ended up being another backwards ass wealth transfer scam in and if itself) .... Man I've got nothing to say to that, that's short sighted at the very best.

I'm not saying that's the case everywhere (obviously population density and an actual supply problem plays a factor in places like Long Island or the bay area) but look at places like Dallas where huge numbers of homes are being bought up by holding companies for cash only to flip, rent, or control supply. Shit is happening everywhere.

The faster we all realize we aren't all billionaires in waiting and start voting in our own best interests, not what our interests may be one day, the better.
It all leads to back to government intervention fucking things up in the first place. How do you think these companies are able to borrow so much money to be able to buy up all these homes that you speak of? Interest rates are too low and allow speculators to come in and gamble with borrowed money. Plus the way the tax codes are written, they could just write off a lot of the expenses and if it doesn't work out, they'll just walk away. The risk reward ratio is what makes it possible but I'm sure voting Democrat will fix all of that. The only thing is they want even more government debt funded by the printing press which require interest rates to stay at 0 or even go negative forever because of the amount of debt the U.S. is already in. Also, if they raise taxes on the rich and discourage capital investment, who's going to build new homes for you to buy? Then you'll be forced to buy from the evil holding company you speak of. At this point, I don't even thinkg you guys even realize you've been voting against your best interests for your entire lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom