Shoot The Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should be rethinking the virus. The tech ops guy with fast food wrappers littered throughout his entire car got it and survived. The only bit of excercise he gets is when he waddles down the hallway once every 3 weeks to check the plugs on the EDST when we say it’s not working. My 93 year old grandfather got it and survived. I have a greater chance of killing someone with car on the way to work (made this stat up). Should I not drive? Let’s chill on the Covid scare. If the government really gave a shit about us they would have banned junk food as a measure towards public safety.
The number one killer in the US is Heart disease with 655,381, far more than the corona virus, the cost of freedom is the freedom to eat like shit and die of a preventable heart disease. The same way with corona virus. If they are so scared of a virus with a 99.9% survival rate then maybe they should take some more precautions.

The number one killer in the US is Heart disease with 655,381, far more than the corona virus, the cost of freedom is the freedom to eat like shit and die of a preventable heart disease. The same way with corona virus. If they are so scared of a virus with a 99.9% survival rate then maybe they should take some more precautions.
The glaring issue with this argument is that heart disease isn’t contagious.

Yeah, not contagious but a far more deadly issue. The idea being that it is your own choice for the risks you take. At what point do we stop leaning on the government and let people decide for themselves whats an acceptable amount of risk? A bad flu year is more comparable to COVID than ever before, are we going to shut down the economy every fall until we know how bad it is? I'm just saying that shutting everything down again is a mistake now that we know that the mortality rate is almost non existent for those under 65, protect the vulnerable and elderly but no reasons kids cant go to school if their parents arent high risk.

Yeah, not contagious but a far more deadly issue. The idea being that it is your own choice for the risks you take. At what point do we stop leaning on the government and let people decide for themselves whats an acceptable amount of risk? A bad flu year is more comparable to COVID than ever before, are we going to shut down the economy every fall until we know how bad it is? I'm just saying that shutting everything down again is a mistake now that we know that the mortality rate is almost non existent for those under 65, protect the vulnerable and elderly but no reasons kids cant go to school if their parents arent high risk.

A bad year of flu kills like 50-60k. Covid is at 250k. We declared war on a 3rd world nation for less than 3k deaths and spent trillions dropping bombs on huts. Yet we're at 250k+ deaths with minimal done.

How about you freedom lovers protest seat belts too so we can have less of you around for the next election. I have a Trumper friend that now all of a sudden gives a shit about covid because they thought they gave their kid it. Trumpers care about nothing until it affects them.

A bad year of flu kills like 50-60k. Covid is at 250k. We declared war on a 3rd world nation for less than 3k deaths and spent trillions dropping bombs on huts. Yet we're at 250k+ deaths with minimal done.

How about you freedom lovers protest seat belts too so we can have less of you around for the next election. I have a Trumper friend that now all of a sudden gives a shit about covid because they thought they gave their kid it. Trumpers care about nothing until it affects them.
So at what number of flu deaths should we shut down the economy, at what number is too much?

So at what number of flu deaths should we shut down the economy, at what number is too much?

Should have been done back in April. Instead we were lied to that the worst would be done by Easter. Had everyone done what they were supposed to for 1 month this could have been done with. Instead we're going to have 1k-2k Americans dying a day, but they had pre-existing conditions or were old so fuck them right?

This is a great argument. I’m just saying do we have to live in fear at all times? Trump isn’t going to run in 4 years. I just feel like a lot of it is fear tactics.

That’s a little harsh. Guy is just trying to tell his side.

\
Should have been done back in April. Instead we were lied to that it would be over by Easter. Had everyone done what they were supposed to for 1 month this could have been done with. Instead we're going to have 1k-2k Americans dying a day, but they had pre-existing conditions or were old so fuck them right?
You never answered the question, at what point are the flu deaths too many? 100k? 150k? At some point we would have to concede that once the flu has a bad enough year we need to shut down the economy the same way, curfews, kill small businesses. It spreads the same way, no reason to treat it any different.

You never answered the question, at what point are the flu deaths too many? 100k? 150k? At some point we would have to concede that once the flu has a bad enough year we need to shut down the economy the same way, curfews, kill small businesses. It spreads the same way, no reason to treat it any different.

Flu has a vaccine available, is it always good for that year? Not necessarily but we have one. We have nothing for covid. Covid also spreads easier than the flu and has a lot more long lasting effects. People are still testing positive for covid months after having it, a lot we dont know about it. A lot of people dont get flu vaccines so they help with the flu deaths and spreading. I wouldn't be surprised if people start wearing masks during flu season years after this to help for their own safety.

Flu has a vaccine available, is it always good for that year? Not necessarily but we have one. We have nothing for covid. Covid also spreads easier than the flu and has a lot more long lasting effects. People are still testing positive for covid months after having it, a lot we dont know about it. A lot of people dont get flu vaccines so they help with the flu deaths and spreading. I wouldn't be surprised if people start wearing masks during flu season years after this to help for their own safety.
So your saying under no circumstance we should shut down the economy as long as we have a vaccine? Sounds like you don't care about the grandma's of the world.

So your saying under no circumstance we should shut down the economy as long as we have a vaccine? Sounds like you don't care about the grandma's of the world.

If people got the vaccine the flu wouldn't be as bad. But I refer you to my earlier point, people are selfish and don't give a shit about anyone but themselves so they don't get it. Kind of like being a big baby that people ask you to wear a mask to help stop the spread, it's barely even a mild inconvenience but sure enough there are plenty of you that will cry about it.

If people got the vaccine the flu wouldn't be as bad. But I refer you to my earlier point, people are selfish and don't give a shit about anyone but themselves so they don't get it. Kind of like being a big baby that people ask you to wear a mask to help stop the spread, it's barely even a mild inconvenience but sure enough there are plenty of you that will cry about it.
At a certain point we have to leave it up to our citizens to decide whats best for them, cant have the goverment dictating every single step we take of our day for our "safety". I prefer dangerous freedom(99% chance of safety) over peaceful slavery.

At a certain point we have to leave it up to our citizens to decide whats best for them, cant have the goverment dictating every single step we take of our day for our "safety". I prefer dangerous freedom(99% chance of safety) over peaceful slavery.

Drunk driving only accounts for about 10k deaths a year. Why is the government telling me what to do?
Car accidents in general only account for 36k deaths, why do I need to wear a seatbelt? It's unconstitutional.

Some of you really like to show that we're one of the highest paid jobs that only requires a high school education.

Car accidents in general only account for 36k deaths, why do I need to wear a seatbelt? It's unconstitutional.
I actually agree, its not the governments place to dictate seat belt safety. I also think that your insurance shouldn't be forced cover medical bills if its proven you weren't wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident.

This post violates site guidelines and has been removed. (Personal attack)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so we've come full circle and are back to "social shaming" now after 8 months of "2 weeks to stop the spread."

Yes, I'll be going to Thanksgiving dinner with my family. We'll all be there voluntarily and no, I won't feel remotely bad about it.

Too bad we're not in China or you could weld the doors to my house shut! Oh wait but Ben Franklin's quote about trading liberty for security isn't actually applicable in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom