Training hold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know of people that have been called back to facilities starting this weekend. However haven't heard of anything resembling OJT/classroom being restarted. So I'm not sure why they're being called in.

Today's news:
Waiting to get all the PPE out to facilities. OJT needs to mean something it isn't going to just be a "we need to start OJT just to get it going again."
Serious conversations are being had about what training will look like
Most likely at the larger facilities and places with more than ten trainees, they'll be phased in starting with the people closer to certification (D3, then D2, etc...)
Smaller facilities with less than ten trainees may as well bring them all back together

The face covering MOU is meant to stand by itself. Managers are urged not to put out additional guidance about it, and it's self explanatory as is. Employees are expected to immediately comply with face covering, if some is not in compliance, they should be instructed to come into compliance with the MOU. After that, they're referred to Professional Standards.
Mask is mandatory, any face shield is optional in addition to the mask. Can't wear a shield without a mask.

For the people that have been or will be out for 120 days without working, do not do any training to recertify them. Since they need OJT for recertification, they also fall under the training hold.
High risk employees if they are recalled because of staffing to traffic needs and they wish to remain at home: employee will talk with flight surgeon, provide any documentation that requires them to remain outside of the facility, and then most likely placed on sick leave if they stay home.

Mentioned on a national call today that OJT will be hopefully be restarted in a matter of days. (My opinion: not going to happen.)

Stinger - not laughing or making fun of you AT ALL, but...

anyone wanna take bets on this?
This month when they said they'll test the shields and then get training started within a couple days of facilities receiving them was the most concrete answer they could give. Sounded good, precautions had been taken, traffic climbing, may as well start training.
Since then, there's been nothing mentioned resembling that same level of confidence in an OJT restart.
Could facilities start training soon? Absolutely.
But past evidence is suggesting it won't.

I know of people that have been called back to facilities starting this weekend. However haven't heard of anything resembling OJT/classroom being restarted. So I'm not sure why they're being called in.

Today's news:
Waiting to get all the PPE out to facilities. OJT needs to mean something it isn't going to just be a "we need to start OJT just to get it going again."
Most likely at the larger facilities and places with more than ten trainees, they'll be phased in starting with the people closer to certification (D3, then D2, etc...)
Smaller facilities with less than ten trainees may as well bring them all back together

The face covering MOU is meant to stand by itself. Managers are urged not to put out additional guidance about it, and it's self explanatory as is. Employees are expected to immediately comply with face covering, if some is not in compliance, they should be instructed to come into compliance with the MOU. After that, they're referred to Professional Standards.
Mask is mandatory, any face shield is optional in addition to the mask. Can't wear a shield without a mask.

For the people that have been or will be out for 120 days without working, do not do any training to recertify them. Since they need OJT for recertification, they also fall under the training hold.
High risk employees if they are recalled because of staffing to traffic needs and they wish to remain at home: employee will talk with flight surgeon, provide any documentation that requires them to remain outside of the facility, and then most likely placed on sick leave if they stay home.

Mentioned on a national call today that OJT will be hopefully be restarted in a matter of days. (My opinion: not going to happen.)
OJT Mean something in what sense

This month when they said they'll test the shields and then get training started within a couple days of facilities receiving them was the most concrete answer they could give. Sounded good, precautions had been taken, traffic climbing, may as well start training.
Since then, there's been nothing mentioned resembling that same level of confidence in an OJT restart.
Could facilities start training soon? Absolutely.
But past evidence is suggesting it won't.

I'm trying to speak as not to reveal or dox ... but it's pretty clear with one party saying one thing and the other party saying the exact opposite that it's anyone guess how national negotiations collaborations are going...
or rather... we know that progress isn't being made.

Last edited:

Today's news:

This is good news on a few fronts, but it flies in the face of the "breaking news" someone reported on a conference call on Monday and is kind of hard to believe. It blows my mind that allegedly Jeff Vincent said "OJT is still suspended indefinitely" 48 hours ago and now it can come back "in a matter of days". The FAA is fucked up though so of course both stories could very well be true. I am glad they might hold the "high risk" people accountable into using their own leave if they want to keep hiding at home.

The other good news is that the penalties for not wearing a mask are just being asked to wear one, then referred to professional standards if you still don't do it. Shows the policy has no teeth they probably expected a lot of pushback, FAA and some local NATCA chapters will probably move to publicly shaming you if you don't wear one after professional standards.

This is good news on a few fronts, but it flies in the face of the "breaking news" someone reported on a conference call on Monday and is kind of hard to believe. It blows my mind that allegedly Jeff Vincent said "OJT is still suspended indefinitely" 48 hours ago and now it can come back "in a matter of days". The FAA is fucked up though so of course both stories could very well be true. I am glad they might hold the "high risk" people accountable into using their own leave if they want to keep hiding at home.

The other good news is that the penalties for not wearing a mask are just being asked to wear one, then referred to professional standards if you still don't do it. Shows the policy has no teeth they probably expected a lot of pushback, FAA and some local NATCA chapters will probably move to publicly shaming you if you don't wear one after professional standards.
Who tf is Jeff Vincent.

It blows my mind that allegedly Jeff Vincent said "OJT is still suspended indefinitely" 48 hours ago and now it can come back "in a matter of days". The FAA is fucked up though so of course both stories could very well be true.

OPINION: I think part of the issue here is that I suspect since there are two parties involved and they're "collaborating" that the "collaborations" aren't going very well... it would easily explain the mixed signals people have reportedly heard on natca calls vs what is coming from the FAA side. Just my thought.

OPINION: I think part of the issue here is that I suspect since there are two parties involved and they're "collaborating" that the "collaborations" aren't going very well... it would easily explain the mixed signals people have reportedly heard on natca calls vs what is coming from the FAA side. Just my thought.
FAA always says that they're obligated to collaborate with NATCA. And also that "collaboration" does not mean negotiation.
If the FAA truly wanted to, they could say "we've taken NATCA input and are going to start training because we want to."
There has to be something more to the continued training stoppage than just NATCA saying they don't want to train. (even though I think that is most of the reason.)

And the biggest question here: if NATCA really is actively fighting against trainee; and in turn the best interest of hundreds of bargaining members’ careers, why don’t they just say so?

If the FAA truly wanted to, they could say "we've taken NATCA input and are going to start training because we want to."

Correct. More people need to realize this. NATCA is not the catch all and does not truly run the show. they only get away with exactly what the FAA allows them to get away with.

I suspect there is some legal or political leverage NATCA is using if this is true and also political leverage going on that the FAA is allowing NATCA to run this out as long as they can.

And the biggest question here: if NATCA really is actively fighting against trainee; and in turn the best interest of hundreds of bargaining members’ careers, why don’t they just say so?

because instead of losing the 10 people who figured it out they'd be losing all of the trainees. It's like shooting hostages in war.

I was told today that over 181 positive cases of controllers contracting COVID have been confirmed. There were 46 confirmed cases back in May.

Perhaps that is a selling point on the training hold?

I was told today that over 181 positive cases of controllers contracting COVID have been confirmed. There were 46 confirmed cases back in May.

Perhaps that is a selling point on the training hold?
If it were they would do more to clean facilities and enforce masks and social distancing

Stop saying hundreds. There are thousands of trainees. There are 400 people just waiting to start the academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom