Training hold

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s hazardous to the point where high risk shouldn’t be in the building at all but not hazardous enough to tell a trainee to wear a mask if you’re going to sit side by side.

Well after 8 hours working in the 90 degree heat for $11/hr today... please bring us back

Is this the part where at-risk employees can hardship to smaller facilities with less people in the room that have the potential to get them sick? For "liability" reasons?

;-)

#askingforafriend
Some dumpster fires will never stop burning, but personally I would not say no if offered XD

So I'll say this about furloughs. I found it interesting on a recent telcon that the union said you should thank your union for no furloughs and that other air traffic controllers have been furloughed. Now, I don't doubt that other ATC have been furloughed around the world. But I can't find of any and I am guessing that they are part of a privatized system which the union has repeatedly advocated for.

As for stateside, DHS which includes TSA & CBP as well as US Customs & Immigration have issued 13,000 furlough notices and from what I can tell, classified it as a reduction in force. Now, it doesn't appear that any of them will be permanently removed but they do think it will be 30-90 days.

Here is one article. You can find plenty more if you want to do a Google.

So I'll say this about furloughs. I found it interesting on a recent telcon that the union said you should thank your union for no furloughs and that other air traffic controllers have been furloughed. Now, I don't doubt that other ATC have been furloughed around the world. But I can't find of any and I am guessing that they are part of a privatized system which the union has repeatedly advocated for.

As for stateside, DHS which includes TSA & CBP as well as US Customs & Immigration have issued 13,000 furlough notices and from what I can tell, classified it as a reduction in force. Now, it doesn't appear that any of them will be permanently removed but they do think it will be 30-90 days.

If natca got their privitazarion they would have stayed on 5 and 2 and furloughed half the controllers

NATCA posting center ops down 45% YOY now. Will be interesting to see what it is by the end of the month as airlines add a ton of flights back the next couple weeks.

TSA was created post 9/11 out of whole cloth and should not exist as a federal agency. The idea that you need to take your belt, shoes, everything off to fly from NY to DC as an American in good standing is outrageous. I feel bad on an individual level, empathy for people who are out of work... but the TSA should be abolished. Anyone on here who is a pilot already knows that you can fly from a small little country airport to a major hub, and taxi to a gate or ramp there and access the "secured area" without ever having been through TSA or security yourself. The security TSA provdes is a myth. I truly do have empathy for those agents tho, I think it is very high up in the running for worst federal job. aka #BestJobinTheWorld

The hypocrisy of this statement when I heard it just made me chuckle, I think we were on the same call, remember Caesar can do no wrong. Fortunately the landscape in our leadership will be drastically different in less than 5 years, and while I am eternally grateful to the Union for somethings, to essentially lie, bully and intimidate the membership into jumping on the privatisation bandwagon is something I will never forgive or forget. The NEB, was in my honest opinion, quick to put us at the mercy of the airlines which most if not all have issued notices for furloughs after October 1st.

Good find to the other agencies, you have given me some things to research.

TSA was created post 9/11 out of whole cloth and should not exist as a federal agency. The idea that you need to take your belt, shoes, everything off to fly from NY to DC as an American in good standing is outrageous. I feel bad on an individual level, empathy for people who are out of work... but the TSA should be abolished. Anyone on here who is a pilot already knows that you can fly from a small little country airport to a major hub, and taxi to a gate or ramp there and access the "secured area" without ever having been through TSA or security yourself. The security TSA provdes is a myth. I truly do have empathy for those agents tho, I think it is very high up in the running for worst federal job. aka #BestJobinTheWorld
When I worked for TSA as a BDO (at Will Rogers ironically, was waiting on the FAA) my colleagues were top notch! Granted most of them only had a high school diploma but they were 9/11 hires who had been there for years and were quite the pleasure to work with. Not a day went by that we did not find a gun in either a carry on or one that was NOT checked into the cargo hold (there is a strict procedure, I fly with my weapons checked all the time, yes you actually can do that). Sure TSA gives people a physical crutch or reassurance, but there are important roles that must be fulfilled.

When I worked for TSA as a BDO (at Will Rogers ironically, was waiting on the FAA) my colleagues were top notch! Granted most of them only had a high school diploma but they were 9/11 hires who had been there for years and were quite the pleasure to work with. Not a day went by that we did not find a gun in either a carry on or one that was NOT checked into the cargo hold (there is a strict procedure, I fly with my weapons checked all the time, yes you actually can do that). Sure TSA gives people a physical crutch or reassurance, but there are important roles that must be fulfilled.

these are good anecdotes. tons of good ppl work for TSA. I applied also, but got hired in ATC pretty quick. And nothing wrong with NOT having been brainwashed by commie professors lol. Life experience is > than your liberal arts degree imo :lol:

these are good anecdotes. tons of good ppl work for TSA. I applied also, but got hired in ATC pretty quick. And nothing wrong with NOT having been brainwashed by commie professors lol. Life experience is > than your liberal arts degree imo :lol:
What do you think a liberal arts degree is, and why is it worse than a “normal” degree?

Reactions: CF
I had quite the racket going, RPO by night TSA during the day (for almost a year), then I got picked up by Aircraft Registration (ASO) for the FAA as a GS-5 like a week before Thanksgiving (Raytheon days lol), then January '15 they opened the direct hire bid... Either position offered some good jumping off points if I had not been picked up on the direct hire bid, that GS-5 job was 5/7/9 in like 3 years or less... :)

What do you think a liberal arts degree is, and why is it worse than a “normal” degree?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom