Training while on OT

OrangeYOGAMat

FAA
Facility
MKC Kansas City Downtown Tower
What are your thoughts as an CPC-IT or Dev on training while on an 8 hour OT shift?

I should clarify this is when DEVs and CPC-Its on their regular work days are not getting training.

I thought it was stupid we couldn’t train on our OT day. We were mandatory 6 day weeks as soon as we checked out in CD/FD so we were there regardless. Seemed like a waste of time when I could have been training as well.

I guess the question is, are they trying to make you train? And you don’t want to because they don’t let you train on your normal shifts? Get some “payback”?

Do what’s best for you. If you’re the dev then jump in and train.

If I was a trainee I wouldn't wanna. I'd rather just chill and buy my coworkers some sweet sweet KC BBQ.

As a trainer sure why not, keep those differentials coming!
If only I had a Z man!

I get plenty of training on my normal days, and I'd rather stay home with my family. If I wanted to train on an RDO, I would ask for credit.

Ya I mean the trainee doesnt run the rotation. A trainee should never turn down training unless they have the fucking clap or are extremely hungover. I still dont understand the point of this line of questioning.

I had a coworker who trained on a holiday OT night shift. Never worked out what the pay was for that but I've always wondered. Same with a Sunday eve OT where somebody trained.

If they call you for OT and then you spend all day training, they shouldn't have called/scheduled you/made you come in. If at some point in the day you are able to get training, take it if you can (or if you'd rather be with family, see if staffing at that point can accommodate you leaving).
Management logic is: if we need someone for overtime but then train them at any point in the day, it looks like we didn't need them. So some supes will not allow it even if it can be done.

If they call you for OT and then you spend all day training, they shouldn't have called/scheduled you/made you come in. If at some point in the day you are able to get training, take it if you can (or if you'd rather be with family, see if staffing at that point can accommodate you leaving).
Management logic is: if we need someone for overtime but then train them at any point in the day, it looks like we didn't need them. So some supes will not allow it even if it can be done.

I think this might be the original point of the question.

A trainee should never turn down training unless they have the fucking clap or are extremely hungover.

Sounds like someone who’s never worked at a snoozy level 5. Yes I get on and train whenever I can, but probably 60% of the time I’ll talk to maybe two planes in an hour, and it’ll only get worse in the winter from what I’ve been told.

But hey, quantity over quality I guess.

Sounds like someone who’s never worked at a snoozy level 5. Yes I get on and train whenever I can, but probably 60% of the time I’ll talk to maybe two planes in an hour, and it’ll only get worse in the winter from what I’ve been told.

But hey, quantity over quality I guess.

Yeah I was gonna say so long as that training time is quality training time. No point in staring at a blank scope burning hours just to say you got trained.

Idk I've never worked at a facility where I had the option of whether or not I wanted to train...FLM says "Get on and train" so you get on and train. I guess if I worked where the CIC said "Do you want to train" and it was supposed to be slow then I'd say no unless I was trying to burn hours.

If you ask to leave on OT and it's denied for so you can train. Isn't it then a question of being denied leave?

Back
Top Bottom