Triangle on Flight Strips?

VikerATC

How do you write a VFR overflight strip?
Ex. Airplane going East to West through the airspace. Anybody use a triangle? Asking for a friend.

How do you write a VFR overflight strip?
Ex. Airplane going East to West through the airspace. Anybody use a triangle? Asking for a friend.
I don’t. But if I did I’d use a circle with the arrow going through it based on the direction of the transition.

Why are you writing one? If it is an overfiight it should come via FDIO. If it is something you are inputting it will still print out of FDIO
Privileged much? Some of us still have paper strips sitting in front of us for VFR callups. Not everything goes into the system to receive a NAS code.

I don’t. But if I did I’d use a circle with the arrow going through it based on the direction of the transition.
We only use the circle for SVFR operations, which is in line with 2–3–10d. We don't use a circle for normal VFR overflights.

To answer the question: We do use the triangle ("while in/enter/out of control area") for operations in conjunction with a presidential TFR, but that's a rarity. Other than that, and other than SVFR, I hand-write a VFR overflight strip sort of as if it printed out of the FDIO: I don't have fixes in boxes 6/7 and I don't have a time in box 8, but I do enter "VFR/xxx" for their altitude in box 9. I don't enter a route of flight either.

Privileged much? Some of us still have paper strips sitting in front of us for VFR callups. Not everything goes into the system to receive a NAS code.

We only use the circle for SVFR operations, which is in line with 2–3–10d. We don't use a circle for normal VFR overflights.

To answer the question: We do use the triangle ("while in/enter/out of control area") for operations in conjunction with a presidential TFR, but that's a rarity. Other than that, and other than SVFR, I hand-write a VFR overflight strip sort of as if it printed out of the FDIO: I don't have fixes in boxes 6/7 and I don't have a time in box 8, but I do enter "VFR/xxx" for their altitude in box 9. I don't enter a route of flight either.
Idk why I read the original post as svfr but you right. My bad. Either way I never do vfr overflight strips lol.

The triangle is actually a Delta symbol and used for class delta transition strip marking, or at least that’s how I used it when in the AF. Don’t use strips now.

To me an overflight is someone who originates outside of your airspace, flies through your airspace and exits out of your airspace landing somewhere else.... at my facility that would be in the NAS.

We have paper strips for VFR callups as well, but we only use them if they're a local code and staying in the local area. Everyone else goes in the NAS.

We don’t use strips at all for VFR call ups that will go out of the sector. We use the scratcpad and the next controller knows what their doing based on the scratchpad. “Read the date tag”

You are pimping your traffic count wrong then.
The strip is the traffic count. Well, technically the radar scope is the traffic count and the strip is the backup for the audit. If they tag up on the scope, they're counted. Putting them in for a NAS code makes no difference. That's how it was explained to me.

To me an overflight is someone who originates outside of your airspace, flies through your airspace and exits out of your airspace landing somewhere else.... at my facility that would be in the NAS.

We have paper strips for VFR callups as well, but we only use them if they're a local code and staying in the local area. Everyone else goes in the NAS.
To me an overflight is someone you provide services to but doesn't land in your airspace.... like a class C transition, for example, which is the vast majority of such strips that I write. "Local" transitions are overflights and "flight following" transitions that get handed off to the next facility are also overflights. I'll always ask them to clarify if they want flight following or just a transition though the airspace. FF requests obviously get a NAS code and a printed strip, transition-only requests get a local code and a hand-written strip.

Why are you guys bothering to write strips and not just input the flight plan via ARTS/STARS or whatever
I'm using STARS both times, it's a question of getting a local code or a NAS code. Getting a NAS code for a local flight is a waste of a code (not that that's usually an issue but there's no sense in pushing it), and it takes more keystrokes than what's required to get a local code, and it takes longer for the code to display on the screen. You do get a pre-printed strip but the benefit is in no way worth the cost.

Now maybe all of you work at enlightened large TRACONs where you don't have the option of not putting someone in for a NAS code, but that isn't universal.

FDIO would print an overflight strip for anything in the system. Locally always used a V which is "cleared over" for IFR, but never anything for VFR. I think any strip marking for handwritten VFRs would just come down to local orders. I guess ?could make sense.

ΔWhile in control area
↘︎ΔEnter control area
↗︎ΔOut of control area

Back
Top Bottom