UAW were on Strike for 6 weeks and....

If we were to strike I doubt we would all be fired… Even President Reagan gave ATC several days to get back to work. Shut down the NAS for 48 hour and let us all cower back to our jobs when we are given notice.

We need 100% of controllers to really shut it down though. It would cost the US Economy Billions if we shut down the NAS for just 1 day. In fact the economical impact just 1 day closer of the NAS would be enough to over double everyones salary.

We need 100% of controllers to really shut it down though.
Boots would say he is in solidarity but then the day of he would go in and help work it with the sups and the trainees on probation scared to strike.

Like in the old WWF Royal Rumbles when two heels would team up clear out the ring and to be co-champions but then as they are about to celebrate one would push the other from behind over the top rope so they can win it all alone.

I don't think striking will ever be the answer unless things get so bad that the pilots union and flight attendants unions are willing to all strike in solidarity. We're not even close to that level. We will not win the public opinion game and any competent administration is going to be able to outmaneuver us because of the no-strike provision.

I suspect now that we have a permanent FAA Administrator in Mike Whitaker, working conditions and pay will improve. Paraphrasing his main points in his confirmation hearing: ~part of my role as Administrator is to be the chief recruiting officer; to make the FAA an employer of choice~, and ~assessing the workforce is my first goal. It's a tight workforce right now in aerospace and we recruit the same place as private industry and we have to be competitive.~

I don't think striking will ever be the answer unless things get so bad that the pilots union and flight attendants unions are willing to all strike in solidarity. We're not even close to that level. We will not win the public opinion game and any competent administration is going to be able to outmaneuver us because of the no-strike provision.

I suspect now that we have a permanent FAA Administrator in Mike Whitaker, working conditions and pay will improve. Paraphrasing his main points in his confirmation hearing: ~part of my role as Administrator is to be the chief recruiting officer; to make the FAA an employer of choice~, and ~assessing the workforce is my first goal. It's a tight workforce right now in aerospace and we recruit the same place as private industry and we have to be competitive.~
That first video quote lol! Reminds me exactly of NATCA leadership. Guy only semi jokes, yeah we all got fired, but at least it means we don’t have to go to work on Christmas. Reminds me of NATCA when they say be grateful for NCEPT or you would have nothing at all (not true) and their annual Facebook posts celebrating the 1.6% raise or 5% off Penn State online tuition lol.

That first video quote lol! Reminds me exactly of NATCA leadership. Guy only semi jokes, yeah we all got fired, but at least it means we don’t have to go to work on Christmas. Reminds me of NATCA when they say be grateful for NCEPT or you would have nothing at all (not true) and their annual Facebook posts celebrating the 1.6% raise or 5% off Penn State online tuition lol.
if we didn’t have NCEPT we wouldn’t be able to transfer… kinda like it is now…

With NCEPT at least there is an illusion of movement.

if we didn’t have NCEPT we wouldn’t be able to transfer… kinda like it is now…

With NCEPT at least there is an illusion of movement.
There would be more jobs on USAJOBS for controllers and there would still be movement just would look different. Now that staffing has gotten so shitty I don’t know what it would look like but they would put bids out to staff the places that need people most. DEN wouldn’t get to keep picking up people while it stays a country club more people would have to leave then they may again in the future.

There would be more jobs on USAJOBS for controllers and there would still be movement just would look different. Now that staffing has gotten so shitty I don’t know what it would look like but they would put bids out to staff the places that need people most. DEN wouldn’t get to keep picking up people while it stays a country club more people would have to leave then they may again in the future.
The agency would meter bids the same way they meter NCEPT.

The agency would meter bids the same way they meter NCEPT.
Were those older controller bids competitive? Or would it be he same shit now where they can just pull from only the fat level 5s? Controller to controller is still same grade and not career progression.

Were those older controller bids competitive? Or would it be he same shit now where they can just pull from only the fat level 5s? Controller to controller is still same grade and not career progression.
They’d cap it at 100 a quarter and you’d have to be green

They need to just stop manipulating people applying for jobs. Any opening should be available to anyone qualified
They’re scared the short facilities would be shorter. Right now they short the short facilities constantly but it’s to pad the bloated (and growing) management tree. And for that you will always have a labor law trump card. And it doubles as a blow to the union. Win win.

They’re scared the short facilities would be shorter. Right now they short the short facilities constantly but it’s to pad the bloated (and growing) management tree. And for that you will always have a labor law trump card. And it doubles as a blow to the union. Win win.
Then they’d be forced to make actual incentives to fill those places. 2 year bid with free dream list after. Move money, bonuses. NCEPT is anti worker and prevents us from actual good job offers

I’m not sure how they made the decisions on who got selected. But this current way is broken. If people were interested they had to pay attention to openings and apply way more often then just throwing in paperwork every 18 months. And why would people apply to places they weren’t interested in going as much as it happens via NCEPT.

I’m not sure how they made the decisions on who got selected. But this current way is broken. If people were interested they had to pay attention to openings and apply way more often then just throwing in paperwork every 18 months. And why would people apply to places they weren’t interested in going as much as it happens via NCEPT.
I was more a fan of that system on USAJOBS, it worked out much better but "buried" HR in paperwork... *rolls eyes*

I was more a fan of that system on USAJOBS, it worked out much better but "buried" HR in paperwork... *rolls eyes*
District level HR now been really only going through FLM packages. And adding ERR to their program they use for tracking. Not sure what else they do?!

They’d cap it at 100 a quarter and you’d have to be green

This is a huge issue right now. FAA it seems is playing both sides. They really aren't approving that many deviations, but at the same time taking anyone and everyone from eligible facilities that will apply. There are recent instances of a facility going "green" to release 1 on NCEPT, and management trying to take 3 as supes. And when I get brought up, they point to each supe in isolation, that the facility is green. Not taking into account taking 3 bodies. The other issue is, other than kicking and screaming, NATCA doesn't have real power. It's FAAs right to hire.

There were a ton of military controllers back then. A bunch even did pseudo en route functions. That is not the case today.
I believe 82% of the active controllers walked out when the strike was called. The President gave us 3 days to return to work or be fired and I think about another 15-20% went back to work during that time. That means that about 60% of controllers stayed out. So with those that stayed and supervisors and military, the FAA was able to avoid a total shutdown. I'm doing this from memory so the percentages could be off but I think they are close. The labor movement was much stronger back then, you would never get anything close to that now.

Back
Top Bottom