UFO Shootdowns over Alaska & Yukon

I’ve seen reports at least some are “carrying payloads.” I feel like a good old fashioned brrrrrrrt would do the trick but I’m also not in defense logistics. I’m also under the impression we are using the AIM-9X which is heat seeking as opposed to the old 9M which wasn’t. Seems slight overkill but ??‍♂️

400k per missile . Thats N90 money!

I for one don’t mind us stretching our legs wings a little, even if it’s shooting down a flock of Canadian geese. To be fair, they do kinda suck and it’s not unbelievable to think that they were the aggressors.

I for one don’t mind us stretching our legs wings a little, even if it’s shooting down a flock of Canadian geese. To be fair, they do kinda suck and it’s not unbelievable to think that they were the aggressors.
I heard a flight was responsible for some incident on the Hudson back in like in ‘09 or something. 1/3 of the flight was KIA.

I’ve seen reports at least some are “carrying payloads.” I feel like a good old fashioned brrrrrrrt would do the trick but I’m also not in defense logistics. I’m also under the impression we are using the AIM-9X which is heat seeking as opposed to the old 9M which wasn’t. Seems slight overkill but ??‍♂️

Wrong type of balloons for bullets to do anything. They have so little pressure in them that the leak caused from bullets takes days to weeks to be effective. Back in the 70’s the Canadians shot a rogue weather balloon over 1,000 times and it took a week to come down.

Why are they using so many military assets on these things? Are they weapons? Why is the public being kept in the dark?

I wouldn’t be surprised if these things have been around routinely and we knew about them but didn’t deem them a threat but now that the public knows about them they have to take action.

I wouldn’t be surprised if these things have been around routinely and we knew about them but didn’t deem them a threat but now that the public knows about them they have to take action.
Pretty likely. I'm not too familiar with the geopolitics of everything, but the US has similar capabilities with surveillance balloons, and have been somewhat forthcoming about which countries we fly them over. Example from this past summer: U.S. military’s newest weapon against China and Russia: Hot air

Kind of leads me to believe that most countries are somewhat aware they're being spied on but due to the current political landscape, it benefits us to come forward with accusations first, both for PR reasons (garnering public support, both domestically and in adjacent nations that were also overflown) and because it is a legitimate threat to have this shit flying in our airspace at 20,000 ft.

Just saw some speculation on Twitter from an Aviation journalist that what was happening was the air defense radar systems were filtering out the "objects" because of thier slow speed. They reset the filter limits and are now seeing them.

Seems both very plausible and a big time oof on the part of NORAD.

Just saw some speculation on Twitter from an Aviation journalist that what was happening was the air defense radar systems were filtering out the "objects" because of thier slow speed. They reset the filter limits and are now seeing them.

Seems both very plausible and a big time oof on the part of NORAD.
What's scarier is that when I was in Bagram before joining the FAA, I got to witness firsthand C-RAMs. They have like a ~20% accuracy. Much protection. Very safe.

What's scarier is that when I was in Bagram before joining the FAA, I got to witness firsthand C-RAMs. They have like a ~20% accuracy. Much protection. Very safe.
Ya same when I was in Baghdad. Was very cool to watch at night though. Lots of lead going out.

Ya same when I was in Baghdad. Was very cool to watch at night though. Lots of lead going out.
lol I remember the first time I saw one after the alarm. Pitch black out and I hear the C-RAM go off and see the tracer rounds. This was within 24 hours of stepping off the plane. "Can I just go back home?" was my first thought.

Back
Top Bottom