Vectors to Final Approach

MMKAY2039

Want to see if I'm interpreting this correctly. Had an air carrier request direct the FAF and was almost on a straight in. Weather was involved and he didn't get the visual by the IAF. Gave him a 20 degree turn to intercept and he requested if he could go direct the FAF because he already had it dialed in. Told him to cross the FAF at 2500 and cleared him for the approach. 5-9-1 says this:

"Except as provided in para 7−4−2, Vectors for Visual Approach, vector arriving aircraft to intercept the final approach course:

a. Atleast2milesoutsidetheapproachgateunless one of the following exists:

1. When the reported ceiling is at least 500 feet above the MVA/MIA and the visibility is at least 3 miles (report may be a PIREP if no weather is reported for the airport), aircraft may be vectored to intercept the final approach course closer than 2 miles outside the approach gate but no closer than the approach gate.

2. If specifically requested by the pilot, aircraft may be vectored to intercept the final approach course inside the approach gate but no closer than the final approach fix.
"

I don't know what the ceiling was because the weather was moving pretty rapidly and an air carrier had gotten the visual no more than 5 min before this particular one. Would appreciate anyone's insight on this.

It’s in the .65

It doesn’t apply to rnav approaches

Edit: it literally says it right below the reference that the OP used that this does not apply to RNAV approaches

“EXCEPTION. Conditions 1 and 2 above do not apply to RNAV aircraft being vectored for a GPS or RNAV approach.“

Edit again: I see this is an old thread

It doesn’t apply to rnav approaches

Edit: it literally says it right below the reference that the OP used that this does not apply to RNAV approaches

“EXCEPTION. Conditions 1 and 2 above do not apply to RNAV aircraft being vectored for a GPS or RNAV approach.“

So they can't go direct to rnav faf? At old facility we'd do it all the time. "Proceed direct "xxxxx" (rnav faf), cross said FAF at 2500, cleared rnav rwy 25 straight-in

So they can't go direct to rnav faf? At old facility we'd do it all the time. "Proceed direct "xxxxx" (rnav faf), cross said FAF at 2500, cleared rnav rwy 25 straight-in
Not entirely sure about clearing him direct to the FAF not sure where it says anything about that but it specifically says directly under the reference that the OP used that it doesn’t apply to vectoring acft for RNAV approaches.

If he's direct on his own nav is it really a vector?

If I vector for an RNAV/GPS I set up a base and turn them just like an ILS. If they are doing their own nav I send them to an initial and clear them for the approach.

Back
Top Bottom