Visual separation on an Instrument approach

tmdarlan

My facility is discussing wether or not you can for example: tell an aircraft on an ILS approach to maintain visual seperation from A. The preceeding aircraft on an ils. Or B. Some random vfr/ifr target they are going to over fly.
I feel like you can. Just like any other application of visual. A little weird in A. Because you can just clear for the visual approach. But say they needed the ils for whatever reason.

The argument against is that if they are on an approach they arent able to maneuver to avoid the aircraft. Which seams silly to me. They can maneuver. It may create an unstable approach. But they can turn or climb or whatever if it comes to that.

Can anyone provide any reference that specifically says yes or no you can do this?

tell an aircraft on an ILS approach to maintain visual seperation from A. The preceeding aircraft on an ils
Is other approved separation ensured both before and after the application of visual separation? Is the lead aircraft smaller than a Super? Then yes, this is allowed.

. Or B. Some random vfr
Is the aircraft operating with a TRSA, or Class B/C airspace? If so, this is allowed. If not, other approved separation will not and cannot exist before and after the application of visual separation, so no, this is not allowed. But luckily you had no standard separation to lose in the first place.

/ifr target
Same consideration as the first scenario. Provided the underlying aircraft doesn't have a WT separation requirement from the overflying aircraft, as long as the overflying aircraft reports in sight, visual separation can be applied.

I just think it’s bad practice. I dislike messing with a precision approach with specific descent guidelines to safely land an aircraft.

Because we ALL KNOW that if something happens—even if the controller uses correct rules—the pilot(s) are never at fault and the controller(s) is.

Everyone agrees its not great practice. But i used it trying to save a final controller from a wake turbulence bust (small behind large 3.5nm.) but theres some debate on if it would actually make it legal or not. We also have an untowered field right on our final that causes issues.

You’d call the traffic, tell them to follow and caution for the wake and clear them for a visual at that point so it’s no longer an ILS. That’s what saves you
Why would you tell them to follow and clear them for a visual approach? Are pilots not able/allowed to maintain visual separation from an aircraft and fly an ILS approach at the same time?

This is exactly the question im asking
You won’t find anything saying they can’t. If pilots are really worried they can always adjust their speed and/or descent rate as long as they still comply with posted altitudes on the ILS. I’m a firm believer that most pilots don’t give a shit though and will just report the traffic in sight and continue on their merry way.

‘maintain visual separation from the proceeding b737 two miles ahead, cleared ILS rwy36’. Yup there ya go, good controlling! ~sarcasm~ you suck.

Why would you tell them to follow and clear them for a visual approach? Are pilots not able/allowed to maintain visual separation from an aircraft and fly an ILS approach at the same time?
That’s my thinking. I mean we use visual separation on aircraft in air on IFR flight plans. I still probably wouldn’t do it but seems like it wouldn’t be illegal

‘maintain visual separation from the proceeding b737 two miles ahead, cleared ILS rwy36’. Yup there ya go, good controlling! ~sarcasm~ you suck.
Oh no the guy in the PA28 now has to fly 100 feet above the glideslope to stay out of the wake of the 737 that is outrunning him. How will he manage to land on the 8000 foot runway so high above the glideslope without overshooting.

If they’re maintaining visual sep behind the preceding aircraft then technically it’s a visual approach based off having that traffic in sight not the airport. Instrument approaches have separation standards so changing the approach to a visual by calling preceding traffic in sight is what saves you from having a wake turbulence deal or loss of separation.

If there is some loophole around it and it’s legal fine but I would never work like that. In my opinion if they’re on an ILS, separation is our job- if you want to put separation on the pilot- it’s a visual

If they’re maintaining visual sep behind the preceding aircraft then technically it’s a visual approach
I don't agree with this thinking at all. If an IFR aircraft flying at 16000 feet is cleared direct to some fix, and then later they're instructed to maintain visual with another aircraft, are they now technically VFR? Of course not. Same thing here. The pilot is still cleared to fly the procedure but they're also required to avoid hitting the guy in front.

In almost every situation, pilot visual doesn't mean that the pilot does something drastically different than they were doing before—or even that they do anything different at all. It just means separation decreases from 3 miles to 2.4 and everything is still legal.

An IFR at 16000 is not the same as an IFR on final. Like I said if it’s legal fine, I think it’s sketchy and wouldn’t work like that. Cleared ILS, maintain visual separation (bc I’m about to have a deal), contact tower.

1. APPROACH SEPARATION RESPONSIBILITY
  1. The radar controller performing the approach control function is responsible for separation of radar arrivals unless visual separation is provided by the tower, or a letter of agreement/facility directive authorizes otherwise. Radar final controllers ensure that established separation is maintained between aircraft under their control and other aircraft established on the same final approach course.

*unless provided by the tower (not the pilot)

1. APPROACH SEPARATION RESPONSIBILITY
  2. The radar controller performing the approach control function is responsible for separation of radar arrivals unless visual separation is provided by the tower, or a letter of agreement/facility directive authorizes otherwise. Radar final controllers ensure that established separation is maintained between aircraft under their control and other aircraft established on the same final approach course.

*unless provided by the tower (not the pilot)
We’re not talking about approach controllers here. We’re talking about tower controllers working aircraft that are already established on final and talking to the tower. Maybe that’s where the confusion is

Back
Top Bottom