VGT Midair

Any insight on what happened at VGT yesterday?
RIP to those involved.

The audio isn't super clear and I'm not a tower guy so it's hard to say, but it sounded to me like they were using parallel runways, and there MAY have been some resequencing and confusion between 30L and 30R.. I really don't know though

Resposting from what I saw on Reddit, but seems one aircraft (the PA46) overshot his base-to-final and ran into the Cessna already on final for the parallel. Or lined up for the wrong runway. If that's indeed the case, some visual blanking too - low-wing Piper turning and descending into high-wing Cessna, so neither saw the other.

If a mod has a problem with anything I said, feel free to nuke it.

I watched the falcon replay and what was said above looks correct. I don’t know about wrong runway or overshoot though. Looked like PA46 came in from the north and overflew the Cessna in the right downwind while crossing over the field for left downwind 30L. Oddly enough their targets merged when they overflew with 500ft sep.

The Cessna was ahead of the Malibu on the opposing base for 30R by a little and turned final first. Malibu turned right up his ass and then they were below the radar coverage. Poor Cessna was just out beating up the pattern.

I watched the falcon replay and what was said above looks correct. I don’t know about wrong runway or overshoot though. Looked like PA46 came in from the north and overflew the Cessna in the right downwind while crossing over the field for left downwind 30L. Oddly enough their targets merged when they overflew with 500ft sep.

The Cessna was ahead of the Malibu on the opposing base for 30R by a little and turned final first. Malibu turned right up his ass and then they were below the radar coverage. Poor Cessna was just out beating up the pattern.
Can you tell if proper traffic calls were exchanged?

Can you tell if proper traffic calls were exchanged?
I didn’t have voice when I pulled it up but a buddy said they listened to tapes and traffic was NOT exchanged according to them. Take that for what it’s worth lol.

ATO report said no traffic was exchanged at any point.

Wow. I was afraid this would be the case; but ya dont know until ya know. Like i said, if you are working local here you aren't coming back from this. I don't say that to be provocative and maybe it speaks for itself , but that's worst case nightmares stuff. Its a big sky, until it isn't.

It gets sent to our ATM. He forwards it to me. I think at some places it ends up in the staff office. It gives a report of the last couple days of accidents and operational errors.

what happens in Vegas, doesn't stay in Vegas? ?

what happens in Vegas, doesn't stay in Vegas? ?
Haha only if they were allegedly waste on position.

After a situation or sigficant event like this, the ATM and staff does a system service review (SSR). It happens quick, like the same or next day. That information gets put in the ATO safety report. It's a quick fact finding deal.

Haha only if they were allegedly waste on position.

After a situation or significant event like this, the ATM and staff does a system service review (SSR). It happens quick, like the same or next day. That information gets put in the ATO safety report. It's a quick fact finding deal.
Man, I just honestly can't imagine NOT giving traffic in this situation. Even on first contact how do you not tell them there is someone in the pattern on the parallel runway, whether its on the ATIS or not... yikes
I feel for the person. Whether they get canned or not they probably wont be able to sleep for a long while

How does it work when you have 2 locals working patterns so close? Do you just have to know what’s going on with the other pattern?

How does it work when you have 2 locals working patterns so close? Do you just have to know what’s going on with the other pattern?

Always have to maintain situational awareness, right? If not you better have a damn good excuse. Aircraft in the tower pattern at a VFR tower should be IN SIGHT, you would think. Especially when they're so close to the tower that they crash on the tarmac.

Back
Top Bottom