VGT Midair

DVT and FFZ run two locals for parallels like that every day.

Traffic calls when appropriate, constant scan to ensure A/C don’t go through final when they make their base turn to final and/or to ensure they don’t drift left/right to the parallel in the upwind. It’s a constant struggle when you have 7 in the pattern all day on one side and lots of constant itinerant on the other runway.

How does it work when you have 2 locals working patterns so close? Do you just have to know what’s going on with the other pattern?
Typically you would split the airspace in half right down the middle of the parallels and would have to APREQ with the other local to use their side if there are no rules spelled out in an SOP. You should definitely know what’s happening on their final in the event of an overshoot

There's not two locals.
Back when I was there (four years ago?) there were two locals. Airspace was split down the center with LC1 working 12R/30L and LC2 working 12L/30R. You would have to coordinate to use 7/25. I don't recall issuing traffic to everyone. It got busy back then and you would just need an assist to issue traffic to six guys in your pattern constantly.

I do not know who or what configuration they were working when this happened. I just know that there is a possibility for a LC2 to be staffed at VGT.

The configuration at the time of the accident was one local working both runways and a CIC/clearance delivery/ground. The ATM was on vacation and the OS was on leave. Two people were on break or other duties or whatever, not in the tower cab.

The configuration at the time of the accident was one local working both runways and a CIC/clearance delivery/ground. The ATM was on vacation and the OS was on leave. Two people were on break or other duties or whatever, not in the tower
If only the ATM was downstairs and the OS was on the desk, nothing ever happens when that's the case. Lol

The configuration at the time of the accident was one local working both runways and a CIC/clearance delivery/ground. The ATM was on vacation and the OS was on leave. Two people were on break or other duties or whatever, not in the tower cab.
Do you think that limits the liability of the controller? Seems like it’s rare the whole tower would be combined at a level 7 tower only.

Do you think that limits the liability of the controller? Seems like it’s rare the whole tower would be combined at a level 7 tower only.
Two people isn’t uncommon for periods of light traffic. Honestly I don’t think he has any liability anyway. The jet prop overshot final after reading back the correct runway assignment at least 3 times. Just an unfortunate accident

One local isn't even close to "whole tower combined", realistically a normal config is an LC and then GC/CIC combined with everything else.

Now, if there was one controller working LC and alllll other positions...while the other 3-4 people were on break...then yeah that's whole tower combined.

Back
Top Bottom