Wake turbulence with go around

Spiralbox21

FAA
Facility
BDL Bradley Tower
Hey all, controller in training here. I have a few wake turbulence questions regarding Small+/large aircraft on a go around.
Scenario: small+ aircraft goes around for whatever reason. Theres a small aircraft waiting full length who's ready to depart. Would it be a 3 minute wait? What about with a large aircraft?

7110 doesn't seem to say anything about this so I'm leaning no on the answer. Maybe just a caution wake turb to COA.

Now 7110 does say it would be 3 mins for opposite direction large go around, but what a about if it was a small+ opposite direction go around?

Hey all, controller in training here. I have a few wake turbulence questions regarding Small+/large aircraft on a go around.
Scenario: small+ aircraft goes around for whatever reason. Theres a small aircraft waiting full length who's ready to depart. Would it be a 3 minute wait? What about with a large aircraft?

7110 doesn't seem to say anything about this so I'm leaning no on the answer. Maybe just a caution wake turb to COA.

Now 7110 does say it would be 3 mins for opposite direction large go around, but what a about if it was a small+ opposite direction go around?
There's no wake turbulence for the same runway, full-length, small behind a large or smaller. If the large aircraft was a touch-and-go, then you treat it as an intersection departure and apply correct wake turbulence separation. It just depends on where the large goes around. Did the aircraft go around full-length? Then I'd consider it no wake. Did they go around on their touch-and-go? Then I'd consider wake.

Give wake advisory. They can wait for wake if they choose full length or intersection.

Once the large crosses the runway threshold, he would be considered a departure, making the small now an "intersection" departure. Which would constitute 3 minutes hold. Same with small plus.

For a same direction operation, if an aircraft goes around there would be no wake turbulence separation for a small at the full length. Doesn’t matter what size aircraft went around. For opposition direction ops it’s a different story.

If a small+ goes around opposite direction there is no wake turbulence separation for an opposite direction takeoff. If anything large or bigger goes around and a small is departing opposite direction then wake turbulence sep in 3-9-6 j, k, or m applies.

Once the large crosses the runway threshold, he would be considered a departure, making the small now an "intersection" departure. Which would constitute 3 minutes hold. Same with small plus.
Very vague. Low approaches count as full length departures so only standard separation applies (you can apply 5-5-4). Now if it involves a “touch and go” or a “stop and go” those count as interaction departures so wake turbulence separation if applicable I.E - 3 minutes.
Large - small are waiverable.

I always thought that the stop and go / touch and go would be intersection departures from the point at which they stop or touch the runway and as such if there was an aircraft waiting at the end of the runway the wake turbulence wouldn’t be a factor. I’m fairly certain intersection wake turbulence is for when the smaller aircraft is farther down the runway from the aircraft departing so they down climb into the wake turbulence.

For a same direction operation, if an aircraft goes around there would be no wake turbulence separation for a small at the full length. Doesn’t matter what size aircraft went around. For opposition direction ops it’s a different story.

If a small+ goes around opposite direction there is no wake turbulence separation for an opposite direction takeoff. If anything large or bigger goes around and a small is departing opposite direction then wake turbulence sep in 3-9-6 j, k, or m applies.
Thanks!

Very vague. Low approaches count as full length departures so only standard separation applies (you can apply 5-5-4). Now if it involves a “touch and go” or a “stop and go” those count as interaction departures so wake turbulence separation if applicable I.E - 3 minutes.
Large - small are waiverable.
So if you had a small waiting full length with a small+/large in the pattern, would the small waiting to depart have to wait 3 minutes?

Edit: nevermind, sorry for the dumb questions just overthinking in training rn.

Don't worry. It'll all make more sense when you get CWT and they consolidate it from 5 categories down to 9. But once that happens, they'll give you 4 different cheat sheets that you will have to sift through and find the right scenario. By the time you either do that or break out the 7110, 3 minutes will have passed and you'll be good.

Real answer; in this case, you are good to go right away regardless of what the arrival does; just apply the correct SRS.

I think there’s a misconception that when you send somebody around you’re still on the hook for same runway separation. If they go around prior to the threshold then you took away their clearance to operate on that runway and runway separation no longer applies. If someone can show me where it says otherwise, please do. To make the example easy let’s say you’re in a class D. Large VFR goes around half-mile final. There is a small VFR waiting to depart at an intersection on the same runway, same direction. No runway separation would apply here, including wake turbulence for intersection departures, since the large VFR wasn’t cleared to operate on the runway. A missed approach is not the same thing as a low approach even though it may look similarly out the window.

Now if it’s an ODO then the rules are different. The book explicitly adds ‘missed approach’ to the operations that would require wake turbulence separation. They don’t include ‘missed approach’ for same direction ops.

IMG_4471.jpeg

this has to be a joke right? I'm not on here enough to know if people give fake answers like on reddit or something..... yikes

Back
Top Bottom