We just got our terminal list

The goal should be certifying ASAP, training on radar gives you another chance to wash and it gives you almost no advantage in transferring. If you have an interest in radar then by all means do it, but if you just want to get to a specific facility as quickly as possible, go to the best staffed tower-only with the quickest checkout times so you have the most chances to play NCEPT roulette. I was in and out of my level 5 tower in 20 months from day of arrival to reporting to the one I wanted. Three of my classmates are still waiting to check out on radar at a 7, with at least one not even to RTF yet...

I agree, but I really think it depends on the facility. I know people who trained on level 7 up downs faster than people at level 5 towers. It's more about the # of trainees in the building, how fast they train, what they consider trainable traffic. Right now, none of that even matters because there is no training in sight.

I agree, but I really think it depends on the facility. I know people who trained on level 7 up downs faster than people at level 5 towers. It's more about the # of trainees in the building, how fast they train, what they consider trainable traffic. Right now, none of that even matters because there is no training in sight.
You keep repeating this but I can't for the life of me understand what difference it makes... Training will restart when training will restart. The location anyone chooses will have no impact on that. Would I rather be in Santa Barbara than Elmira for a long period of time? Yes of course, but if its say, 10 years in Santa Barbara then back to home vs 4 in Elmira then back home, I would choose Elmira all day.

I won't deny there are probably a couple 5 Tower only's that have bad training times, but in the vast majority of cases a 5 tower only trainee will certify before someone who has to essentially certify on their own level 5 tower and then do RTF and then certify on their Radar too. I definitely said to look at staffing and training times, both of which are publicly available

You keep repeating this but I can't for the life of me understand what difference it makes... Training will restart when training will restart. The location anyone chooses will have no impact on that. Would I rather be in Santa Barbara than Elmira for a long period of time? Yes of course, but if its say, 10 years in Santa Barbara then back to home vs 4 in Elmira then back home, I would choose Elmira all day.

I won't deny there are probably a couple 5 Tower only's that have bad training times, but in the vast majority of cases a 5 tower only trainee will certify before someone who has to essentially certify on their own level 5 tower and then do RTF and then certify on their Radar too. I definitely said to look at staffing and training times, both of which are publicly available

My point is that nobody should go somewhere with the mindset of, "this place sucks but it's only going to be for a few quick years." So if the choice is a level 5 that you're happy at or a level 7 you're going to hate - go with the level 5. I agree with you the rate relative to the facilities previous training times will be the same slow rate agency wide, if training resumes.

I'm really specifically talking about localities and cities/living situations, nothing to do with the facility itself.

New hire classes are all that's open (tower and enroute.)
No BUE or management employees going for classes. So RTF and TSEW is on hold.

huh. almost like things controlled solely by management continue and things that have natca involvement are halted?

edit: i guess that doesn't totally explain why mgmt classes are halted...

Back
Top Bottom