Current CPC % to Target
-
Projected CPC % to Target
-

Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

Local Area​

External Links​

I didn't work at ZLA however I did live in Palmdale while working for a different FAA facility. I loved it, my husband hated it. It's always windy almost every day. For 3 months its super hot and for 3 months it's super cold under 40. It can snow but happens once every few years.

It has one of the highest per capita sexual offenders. The Megan's law website will be your friend in choosing housing. I lived near the golf course off of Rancho Vista and never had a problem with crime and the schools are great. Anything west of the freeway is generally okay.

Everything is super cheap compared to other parts of California. You are about an hour away from everything in LA. It would take me 45 mins to get to the LA zoo on non traffic days. 1 hour to Malibu, 35 mins to Pasadena.

I use to call the locals of the high desert, dirty desert people. I don't know if it's the UV rays or what but everyone who was local had this weird splotchy tan that made them look dirty. Everyone was super nice, just had weird tans.

Everytime I went to the facility everyone was super happy to be there. It seemed like the moral was high.

The building itself is really nice, its the nicest center I have been in. They have 24hr day care and a cafeteria. If you have a family its a really nice place to work and live large while banking tons of money.

If you are single it's still a great place, live in Santa Clarita and commute about 30 mins while being on the fringe of the city.

Palmdale has a train that goes into LA. So getting to Burbank airport is easy if you like to travel.

It's an easy level 12 with high locality, I would work there.

I didn't work at ZLA however I did live in Palmdale while working for a different FAA facility. I loved it, my husband hated it. It's always windy almost every day. For 3 months its super hot and for 3 months it's super cold under 40. It can snow but happens once every few years.

It has one of the highest per capita sexual offenders. The Megan's law website will be your friend in choosing housing. I lived near the golf course off of Rancho Vista and never had a problem with crime and the schools are great. Anything west of the freeway is generally okay.

Everything is super cheap compared to other parts of California. You are about an hour away from everything in LA. It would take me 45 mins to get to the LA zoo on non traffic days. 1 hour to Malibu, 35 mins to Pasadena.

I use to call the locals of the high desert, dirty desert people. I don't know if it's the UV rays or what but everyone who was local had this weird splotchy tan that made them look dirty. Everyone was super nice, just had weird tans.

Everytime I went to the facility everyone was super happy to be there. It seemed like the moral was high.

The building itself is really nice, its the nicest center I have been in. They have 24hr day care and a cafeteria. If you have a family its a really nice place to work and live large while banking tons of money.

If you are single it's still a great place, live in Santa Clarita and commute about 30 mins while being on the fringe of the city.

Palmdale has a train that goes into LA. So getting to Burbank airport is easy if you like to travel.

Thank you very much for the detailed information. We don't have kids yet but the info about the crime is still very appreciated!!! I also heard the moral and the people there are good for the most part. Thank you once again

Judging by the one time I visited the morale was really high, they have a good attitude towards checking people out. However, they have issues most 12's have, borderline mandatory six day work weeks, OT call's on your day off that week if not already scheduled etc. Overall, I only know cool people there, if it wasn't for some circumstances I would have ERR'd there.

Do you know much about living in Lancaster? I would assume it's very similar to Palmdale. But I really don't know much about Lancaster.

Do you know much about living in Lancaster? I would assume it's very similar to Palmdale. But I really don't know much about Lancaster.
Lancaster is the same, you want to be west of the freeway and the further west you go the better the neighborhoods are. The best neighborhoods are in the southwest corner. Here is a crime map of Lancaster.

Lancaster

There is a prison in the northwest corner of Lancaster and a friend of mine lived in the neighborhood adjacent to it and never had any issues. If you decide to live east of the freeway you will experience car theft and should just be mindful of that when parking your car. I would not live over there to save money, to me its not worth it.

Lancaster is the same, you want to be west of the freeway and the further west you go the better the neighborhoods are. The best neighborhoods are in the southwest corner. Here is a crime map of Lancaster.

Lancaster

There is a prison in the northwest corner of Lancaster and a friend of mine lived in the neighborhood adjacent to it and never had any issues. If you decide to live east of the freeway you will experience car theft and should just be mindful of that when parking your car. I would not live over there to save money, to me its not worth it.
Thanks

I've known a couple people who lived in tehachapi and commuted to ZLA. It's a little under an hour on a 2 lane road that never has any traffic. But gives you a small town feel (with mountains and snow), with very affordable housing. If I ever went back to that area, that is the only place I would want to live.

I've known a couple people who lived in tehachapi and commuted to ZLA. It's a little under an hour on a 2 lane road that never has any traffic. But gives you a small town feel (with mountains and snow), with very affordable housing. If I ever went back to that area, that is the only place I would want to live.
I second Tehachapi for weather/less smog, small town feel, cheaper California living, and good for families.

Hey, I worked at ZLA for four years before transferring to ZDV a few months ago.

I’m currently at ZLA and it’s a good facility for the most part. The only downside is the area. You have to drive over an hour to go do anything, there’s no nightlife, there’s tons of crime, lot of homeless people, and everything is still very expensive such as the real estate market. The basic and easy explanation is LA purposely tries to move their “less fortunate” up here which ultimately brings down the quality of the city. I don’t see it ever getting better if anything probably worse with the new home less shelter opening up in Lancaster.

The weather just as mentioned above is awful and it’s basically mostly really hot or really cold coupled with intensive wind.

If you’re thinking about coming here again it’s a pretty good facility but just keep in mind the location and area. Too many times people transfer here and have no idea what they’re getting themselves into.

Hey, I worked at ZLA for four years before transferring to ZDV a few months ago.
What did you think of it?

I’m currently at ZLA and it’s a good facility for the most part. The only downside is the area. You have to drive over an hour to go do anything, there’s no nightlife, there’s tons of crime, lot of homeless people, and everything is still very expensive such as the real estate market. The basic and easy explanation is LA purposely tries to move their “less fortunate” up here which ultimately brings down the quality of the city. I don’t see it ever getting better if anything probably worse with the new home less shelter opening up in Lancaster.

The weather just as mentioned above is awful and it’s basically mostly really hot or really cold coupled with intensive wind.

If you’re thinking about coming here again it’s a pretty good facility but just keep in mind the location and area. Too many times people transfer here and have no idea what they’re getting themselves into.
Thanks for the info. I know southern California pretty well and have a good general idea of the location and that it kinda sucks lol. I was a little more interested in the moral of the facility, how good or bad the training program is how good or poor the staffing is. Basically is it one of those facilities that washes people a lot and if it's one of those facilities that works non stop OT

Does ZLA get a lot of guys transferring from JCF?
a decent amount, but they are always hit or miss in training. From those I have known 50% wash out, but that doesn't mean those from JCF shouldn't continue giving ZLA a shot.

What did you think of it?

Thanks for the info. I know southern California pretty well and have a good general idea of the location and that it kinda sucks lol. I was a little more interested in the moral of the facility, how good or bad the training program is how good or poor the staffing is. Basically is it one of those facilities that washes people a lot and if it's one of those facilities that works non stop OT

I liked it a lot. I transferred for family reasons. I enjoyed ZLA airspace and people. Only big downside is nowhere really to live, Palmdale stinks and the next livable place takes nearly an hour depending on how deep in the city you are (Santa Clarita).

Just graduated and pumped to be headed to ZLA here shortly. Anyone currently working here? Just looking to get an idea of what the center is like, training pipeline, etc. Thanks so much!

Hey guys, just wanted to ask about the state of the center atm- would enjoy working somewhere near LA since I've grown up in SoCal for most of my life.

I also like working overtime (I don't really have much of a social life) and I'm fine with living somewhere small/cheap.

How common are 6 day workweeks? How much does an average person take home annually at ZLA (I looked at numbers at 123atc but wanted to know your guys' opinions as well.)

Hey guys, just wanted to ask about the state of the center atm- would enjoy working somewhere near LA since I've grown up in SoCal for most of my life.

I also like working overtime (I don't really have much of a social life) and I'm fine with living somewhere small/cheap.

How common are 6 day workweeks? How much does an average person take home annually at ZLA (I looked at numbers at 123atc but wanted to know your guys' opinions as well.)

ZLA is a fantastic place to work. The ATM and NATCA work very well together. Training gets started fairly quickly. Depending on what area you're assigned too will determine how long it takes to CPC. Overtime is also dependant on what area you're assigned too. As a CPC you'll be able to get it in all areas if you want it but some areas have mandatory six day work weeks.

ZLA is a fantastic place to work. The ATM and NATCA work very well together. Training gets started fairly quickly. Depending on what area you're assigned too will determine how long it takes to CPC. Overtime is also dependant on what area you're assigned too. As a CPC you'll be able to get it in all areas if you want it but some areas have mandatory six day work weeks.
Frankly, I'm new to all this ATC stuff (didn't look super deep into it until I got my FOL)

I don't really have a problem with mandatory overtime. How many areas are there in ZLA?

Could I ask you some questions about the Enroute placement list?

Back
Top Bottom