2020 January pay raise.

This is right in theory but you would be shocked how few people are disciplined to do anything close to this. Lots of level twelve people I know only put 5% into the TSP because “that’s all the FAA matches up to” or rent because “my credit rating would never allow me to qualify for a mortgage”.

Inability due to personal reasons doesn't necessarily compare to inability due to opportunity.

If you work for 30 years at a level 5, that was really your choice.

Of course it is if you use extremes, but even the lack of opportunity a single year makes regarding the compounded income for a TSP account can be staggering over the span of it's lifetime.

Especially the earlier years of an L20xx account.

You're talking to someone who has had many a coworker given 8+ year release dates prior to NCEPT. Get back to me in the other 5/6.

Or like you said the impact over 8+ years.

At that point it is quite obvious there is a lack of opportunity, not personal choice.

I never said there was tons of opportunity to move around. But the implication that everyone in high COL areas can easily max out their TSP and afford a million dollar house clearly doesn't understand the actual cost of living, or how much a million dollar house costs if you don't save up a cool 500+k first.

I never said there was tons of opportunity to move around. But the implication that everyone in high COL areas can easily max out their TSP and afford a million dollar house clearly doesn't understand the actual cost of living, or how much a million dollar house costs if you don't save up a cool 500+k first.

By your previous reasoning, that's their fault if the spend 30 years in Long Island.

12 controller here, idk if my reading comprehension is bad but are people actually suggesting we can afford a million dollar home on our salary? Lol, I don't think it's possible unless you have other income streams or inheritance

Back
Top Bottom