2020 January pay raise.

I just broke $170k gross in PP26 and can say that that isnt nearly enough when a 1br in any part of Brooklyn where I wont get stabbed rents for $3000/mo.

Sorry to anyone stuck in Sioux City for 10 years but trust me your L5 Pay isnt much less than mine when cost of living and taxes are factored in.

And if there are other facilities in the NY area that are on the hour on/hour off break rotation, please let me know who I have to break the kneepads out for to get on that program.

I don' want any worse of an oligarchy than we already have, and its pretty bad as it is. It will never be enough! Greed begets more greed.

Ppl reading you guys complaining about making 250k+ a year are going full David @ the Dentist. "Is this even real life!?"

I don’t make $250k or the cap. But I am at 12 so I’ll give you that. People also read the complaints during the shutdown about how people making $75k can have so many issues over a late check. $75k is a lot of damn money to a lot of people.

We work a lot of traffic and we earn our money. With that being said, if you want to go to N90 then go for it and I won’t complain about a single extra dollar you get. I would never want to live on Long Island and I’m thankful that there are people who do.

to the rest of the country that’s still too much city for them.

it’s too much city for me too. Was just pointing out that even though we aren’t in the city it’s still city-expensive. Hell ZNY is 60 miles from NYC and the CoL isn’t any cheaper.

I just broke $170k gross in PP26 and can say that that isnt nearly enough when a 1br in any part of Brooklyn where I wont get stabbed rents for $3000/mo.

Sorry to anyone stuck in Sioux City for 10 years but trust me your L5 Pay isnt much less than mine when cost of living and taxes are factored in.

And if there are other facilities in the NY area that are on the hour on/hour off break rotation, please let me know who I have to break the kneepads out for to get on that program.

my buddy (not ATC) lives outside Charleston, SC making $90k and lives like a king compared to me.

The line between a legitimate grievance and victimization is often tough.

I made $6 an hour working fast food, and I embraced what people told me: "if you don't like it, find something better. You're not entitled to more." I believed them.
Fast forward 15 years and the most uneducated people are saying to my colleagues regarding delayed pay during the shutdown: "if you don't like it, find something better". Now frankly, most of us could have stashed away a rainy day fun instead of blowing it on Tesla's and vacations, but even had we all been prepared for 6 months worth of a shutdown, come month 7 would the public open their eyes and take action on our behalf or would they just continue their chant of "if you don't like it, find something better"? I'm willing to bet the latter.

To the point of whether we should be getting more, something that is often overlooked: "current law dictates that a 2.6 percent across-the-board increase for the base General Schedule is set to take effect on Jan. 1, 2020, plus a 24 percent average increase in “locality pay."

This has been the case for many many years. And for those same many years the President- whoever it has been- has instead implemented an alternate pay plan, either miniscule increases or a complete pay freeze.

So...by law... we are actually entitled to a giant pay raise. But the Presidents have kept it from happening again and again.

my buddy (not ATC) lives outside Charleston, SC making $90k and lives like a king compared to me.

and you make more than twice that and only “work” 4 hours a day. That’s why the public, who pays us, will never understand that we don’t make enough. Regardless of what you and I know and think from inside the profession. I’m sorry but in my experience you tell people how much me make and they can’t believe it, plus all the benefits, the pension, early retirement, social security early. Etc etc etc. I’m sorry but there are very few comparisons outside of our profession in terms of work/pay balance.
For clarity that wasn’t a knock on you just using this as an example. I m not trying to troll just trying to make the point that even you working in one of the most expensive areas, the message of needing to make more will never reach the masses. And I agree with you, there is a lot to be said about making less but being way more comfortable.

Ya that's cuz you Western Union like 70% of your paycheck to a Turkish terrorist organization

The line between a legitimate grievance and victimization is often tough.

I made $6 an hour working fast food, and I embraced what people told me: "if you don't like it, find something better. You're not entitled to more." I believed them.
Fast forward 15 years and the most uneducated people are saying to my colleagues regarding delayed pay during the shutdown: "if you don't like it, find something better". Now frankly, most of us could have stashed away a rainy day fun instead of blowing it on Tesla's and vacations, but even had we all been prepared for 6 months worth of a shutdown, come month 7 would the public open their eyes and take action on our behalf or would they just continue their chant of "if you don't like it, find something better"? I'm willing to bet the latter.

To the point of whether we should be getting more, something that is often overlooked: "current law dictates that a 2.6 percent across-the-board increase for the base General Schedule is set to take effect on Jan. 1, 2020, plus a 24 percent average increase in “locality pay."

This has been the case for many many years. And for those same many years the President- whoever it has been- has instead implemented an alternate pay plan, either miniscule increases or a complete pay freeze.

So...by law... we are actually entitled to a giant pay raise. But the Presidents have kept it from happening again and again.
I'm on board with this. A lot of my coworkers are mad because I earn credit on a Wednesday on my RDO and burn it on Saturday to get an actual weekend day off (splitting my RDOs basically) and complain that I "steal overtime" from them, but nobody told them to have 2 kids and a stay-at-home wife. There's lots of things I complain about but at the end of the day I'm in it for the long-haul, to get the pension and if the grass ended up being greener, I'd leave for something better but as it stands, I'm here to stay.

I also agree that, being as we work for the federal government, if we dont get raises to at least keep up with inflation that that's a fuckin travesty.

A certain facility, strategically excluded from the “Metropolitan Tower Complex”.... You’ll gross 10k less, but have significantly cheaper rent ?

I make level 12 pay. I live in an expensive city. My rent is $3200. So basically 35-40% of my take home goes to rent. If I bought, my mortgage would be 50% of my income. People that don’t live near the ocean can’t relate.
I think people for the most part would agree that capping a salary at some random number, regardless of COL, doesn't make sense. But remember these same people that can't "relate" aren't maxing their TSPs or saving nearly the same amount for retirement. If they did, they would be putting 40-50% of their pay towards housing as well. Even if you live the same quality of life as someone at a lvl 5 during your career, you're set in retirement. You can retire at 50, (sooner for some), sell your million dollar home, and take a much higher pension/TSP to a lower COL area and live like a king. Hell, you could pay cash for a house next door to a lvl 5 CPC the same age. That same CPC will still be working because they can't afford to walk away at minimum age. When they do finally retire your income would be twice as much for the next 30+ years.

Last edited:
I think people for the most part would agree that capping a salary at some random number, regardless of COL, doesn't make sense. But remember these same people that can't "relate" aren't maxing their TSPs or saving nearly the same amount for retirement. If they did, they would be putting 40-50% of their pay towards housing as well. Even if you live the same quality of life as someone at a lvl 5 during your career, you're set in retirement. You can retire at 50, (sooner for some), sell your million dollar home, and take a much higher pension/TSP to a lower COL area and live like a king. Hell, you could pay cash for a house next door to a lvl 5 CPC the same age. That same CPC will still be working because they can't afford to walk away at minimum age. When they do finally retire your income would be twice as much for the next 30+ years.

yeah but we’re going to die before hitting 60 from all the 60 hour weeks and mids and garbage incinerators.

Agree to all but I mean there has to be some pay disparity commensurate to facility level

This is right in theory but you would be shocked how few people are disciplined to do anything close to this. Lots of level twelve people I know only put 5% into the TSP because “that’s all the FAA matches up to” or rent because “my credit rating would never allow me to qualify for a mortgage”.

Back
Top Bottom