Academy Post-COVID

TOTALLY disagree. One man's "separation not ensured" is another man's , you had situational awareness and were "watching it". I cant think of many more subjective things tbh. obviously a true loss of actual lateral/vertical speaks for itself, but its way more grey than that
Once AGAIN, PT nails it.

Once AGAIN, PT nails it.
You’ve got a fan, PushingTin !
TOTALLY disagree. One man's "separation not ensured" is another man's , you had situational awareness and were "watching it". I cant think of many more subjective things tbh. obviously a true loss of actual lateral/vertical speaks for itself, but its way more grey than that
That’s literally the point I was making. Yeah sure there are some things that are black and white but if you do something that’s outside of his expectations for running the problem he’ll nail you for not being efficient or whatever bullshit catch all mark down they have.

You’ve got a fan, PushingTin !

That’s literally the point I was making. Yeah sure there are some things that are black and white but if you do something that’s outside of his expectations for running the problem he’ll nail you for not being efficient or whatever bullshit catch all mark down they have.

and that’s OUR point .... if you run a problem and show you got what it takes - you don’t get the delay points deducted. If you suck, they grab the catch all.

it similar to an OJTI in the field. If you own up to your mistake and learn from it - it’s probably not gonna be on the -25, maybe a positive control write up. You pull an attitude or argue with me? a1 all day.

and that’s OUR point .... if you run a problem and show you got what it takes - you don’t get the delay points deducted. If you suck, they grab the catch all.

it similar to an OJTI in the field. If you own up to your mistake and learn from it - it’s probably not gonna be on the -25, maybe a positive control write up. You pull an attitude or argue with me? a1 all day.
Well I’m glad we agree then!

I can’t remember what the specific situation was but a guy who was doing local while I was on ground did something that was kinda unorthodox but totally fine and wouldn't have been a box anything in the field and they marked him for it. He scored like a 90 on the run so it’s not like he was fucking a bunch of other shit up too.

You three are literally arguing semantics...
Let us be miserable!

maybe in another life. I feel like this is a trap... this isn't the shoot the shit thread. might get locked.
lol I’m not some master manipulator trying to get under your skin. I’m prone to my fair share of trolling but it’s not personal. We’re all equal in this hell scape called point65.

Depends, we have OJTIs that write up A1 for no actual losses or situations that you fix

Yeah. “Oh well you descended this guy to xxx and realized he clips this higher terrain and stopped him above it, but you gave the initial clearance below the terrain, so A1”

?

if the trainer didn't have to say anything and the trainee automatically went back and fixed it, that's some BS.

this always really bothered me at the academy. as soon as you "unkeyed" that was your transmission. Supposedly, no fixing it, even if you IMMEDIATELY went back and corrected it. So silly, because the whole idea of being a controller is to see mistakes, fix them, monitor situations, etc. We aren't always going to do everything right, but you have to react and fix your mistakes to make it right.
(mods - *cough* CF *cough* - if you're listening, I brought the derailed convo back to academy stuff. You should be thrilled.)

Posted this in a less relevant thread earlier and got rerouted here. :D Could anyone who's been through the more recent classes please give me their thoughts on how much Basics and general head knowledge factor into success with Tower training across the street? Obviously, it's best to try as hard as one can, every step of the way... but I'd read other forum posts from Academy grads who claim they'd barely passed the academic bits but were great at separating planes. Is this common? Or would going back to solidly memorize the stuff we covered in Basics be one of the best things one could do before going across the street?

but I'd read other forum posts from Academy grads who claim they'd barely passed the academic bits but were great at separating planes. Is this common?

Not a "recent" grad - but how do you "barely" pass academics? It's only worth like 5 or 10% of your grade? You literally can't fail it. Unless you mean 0%? In which case... see my earlier point, it barely matters.

And if you mean basics... and you barely passed that.... good freaking luck.

Not a "recent" grad - but how do you "barely" pass academics? It's only worth like 5 or 10% of your grade? You literally can't fail it. Unless you mean 0%? In which case... see my earlier point, it barely matters.

There’s always idiot savants I guess

Thanks for taking time to respond! Yeah, not having been across the street yet, I don't have a firm grasp myself on what people are referring to. I know that at least one guy here said he "had some of the worst book test scores and passed 3rd in [his] class, doesn’t mean you’re out if you score low on the CKT". Perhaps that helps give more context?

Thanks for taking time to respond! Yeah, not having been across the street yet, I don't have a firm grasp myself on what people are referring to. I know that at least one guy here said he "had some of the worst book test scores and passed 3rd in [his] class, doesn’t mean you’re out if you score low on the CKT". Perhaps that helps give more context?

I assume this is referring to the academics part of tower/enroute, which when they initially started the scoring rubric vs subjective pass/fail, was worth like 10% of your grade. You needed 70 overall points to pass, and 10 of them were from academics. Basically, if you ran all the sims perfect but bombed the paper tests, you'd still have a 90. The point is, the block exams/academics are weighted, and while they can help, you shouldn't be banking on those since it's relatively worth a small portion of the overall grade. PM me if you want more info.

I assume this is referring to the academics part of tower/enroute, which when they initially started the scoring rubric vs subjective pass/fail, was worth like 10% of your grade. You needed 70 overall points to pass, and 10 of them were from academics. Basically, if you ran all the sims perfect but bombed the paper tests, you'd still have a 90. The point is, the block exams/academics are weighted, and while they can help, you shouldn't be banking on those since it's relatively worth a small portion of the overall grade. PM me if you want more info.
Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much for the helpful explanation!

Back
Top Bottom