Air National Guard Tech School vs. FAA Academy Difficulty

For those who have joined the Air Force or the Air National Guard that have also went to Oklahoma City, how difficult was the program at Keesler compared to when you went through initial tower with the FAA? For reference, I did not make it through the terminal program in OKC and I am thinking about joining the guard.

To me, military was more difficult as you do tower and radar school in the same timeframe as the academy. You’re able to be washed out each week depending on your scores and performance, not only at the end.

Then add in PT and formations every morning before the sun rises, curfews, and the fact that you’re not a civilian employee who can’t be yelled at or belittled by instructors for mistakes…

Ultimately, if you wash from tech school, you’re still in the military…. You’re just a janitor now

Granted the new military isn’t the same as when I was in.

It’s different, but I did pass pass rtf (or whatever the radar faa class is called). In the faa they actually teach you stuff, in the Air Force they just see if you’ll be able to learn the material once you get to your facility.

If you get washed out at Air Force tech school as a guardsman you are a special type of stupid. They usually will just pass you and if you’re trash they’ll let your unit handle it.

To me, military was more difficult as you do tower and radar school in the same timeframe as the academy. You’re able to be washed out each week depending on your scores and performance, not only at the end.

Then add in PT and formations every morning before the sun rises, curfews, and the fact that you’re not a civilian employee who can’t be yelled at or belittled by instructors for mistakes…

Ultimately, if you wash from tech school, you’re still in the military…. You’re just a janitor now

Granted the new military isn’t the same as when I was in.
As a guardsman if that were the case, will I be able to choose a different track to go along to or is that it? I am joining for ATC, but I am also open to other options too.
If you get washed out at Air Force tech school as a guardsman you are a special type of stupid. They usually will just pass you and if you’re trash they’ll let your unit handle it.
Is that what they usually do with folks who join the guard? I have talked with a couple friends about it and they said with my background prior and after OKC, I do have a good foundation to build on. Yes I know ANG is different than FAA and I need to focus on military rules, but other than that, I have a good general idea what is going on. Looking back on things, there where a few scenarios in the lab I should have been more aggressive about and others that came as an afterthought and I want to give myself another chance.

As a guardsman if that were the case, will I be able to choose a different track to go along to or is that it? I am joining for ATC, but I am also open to other options too.

Is that what they usually do with folks who join the guard? I have talked with a couple friends about it and they said with my background prior and after OKC, I do have a good foundation to build on. Yes I know ANG is different than FAA and I need to focus on military rules, but other than that, I have a good general idea what is going on. Looking back on things, there where a few scenarios in the lab I should have been more aggressive about and others that came as an afterthought and I want to give myself another chance.
What are military rules?

Military still uses the .65 like the faa. 204v3 or whatever it is doesn’t really apply a lot for tech school, and they’ll teach you what you need to know. Just don’t go into tech school saying you were at OKC at the faa academy. Don’t tell the instructors, and don’t tell your classmates. If you have more questions about specific Ang units send me a pm

Typically the guard gives you another choice if you don’t succeed. However, open careers depend on what is needed at the time.

If you join the military, active duty or not, and wash out in ATC, you reclass to another job. You still have an obligation to the military for the length of your enlistment

If you join the military, active duty or not, and wash out in ATC, you reclass to another job. You still have an obligation to the military for the length of your enlistment
That's not exactly true, at least in the Air Force. I had a guy fail in my class then separated under failure to adapt. Didn't get a discharge or anything, it was pretty much like he wasn't in the military.

ATC is not easy, u gotta study

lol

A monkey could pass the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center. You can literally drink fifteen 3.2% beers per night and never study. You're more likely to get washed away by a Tornado than one of the 60 year old thrice divorced instructors there.

Even tho all the ATC instructors at Keesler are sleeping w each other, working as parttime cocktail waitresses at the Beau Rivage, loss prevention at Winn-Dixie, retail at the Edgewater Mall, or marrying tech school students in Slidell on the weekend; it is actually possible to wash out there. It's ironic because once these military controllers get to FAA facilities and talk non-stop about the Air Force 24/7 (especially Nellis & Shepherd controllers), it rarely seems as if they have actually ever talked to planes. World's weird and probably a simulation anyway. ? #NATCA4evZ

In other words Keesler is harder, but its a close race.

Phone Monkey GIF

Last edited:
lol

A monkey could pass the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center. You can literally drink fifteen 3.2% beers per night and never study. You're more likely to get washed away by a Tornado than one of the 60 year old thrice divorced instructors there.

Even tho all the ATC instructors at Keesler are sleeping w each other, working as parttime cocktail waitresses at the Beau Rivage, loss prevention at Winn-Dixie, retail at the Edgewater Mall, or marrying tech school students in Slidell on the weekend; it is actually possible to wash out there. It's ironic because once these military controllers get to FAA facilities and talk non-stop about the Air Force 24/7 (especially Nellis & Shepherd controllers), it rarely seems as if they have actually ever talked to planes. World's weird and probably a simulation anyway. ? #NATCA4evZ

Phone Monkey GIF
The Slidell comment made me chortle.

lol

Phone Monkey GIF

Don't forget the female instructors *ahem* giving releases to all the combat controllers they can reel in. That said, when I went through, we started with 24 and ended up with like 8 or something passing.

After passing the academy, I know you get some paid days to relocate to the new city. Can you request a longer time to relocate (unpaid, of course)? How far out could you push it?

Was he Air Force or National Guard?

Air National Guard
Oh yeah, well ANG is basically like the officers going through tech school. Lol

But the discharges were actually a few. I think they atleast would wash you back ONCE then after that you were done but it was like the last half of my time there. I remember them re-classing washouts to Base Ops or C2BMO in the beginning.

That's not exactly true, at least in the Air Force. I had a guy fail in my class then separated under failure to adapt. Didn't get a discharge or anything, it was pretty much like he wasn't in the military.
I was guard and was with a guy that washed at the facility and they just let him pick another job. But I guess it depends on the needs of the service at the time, maybe??

Back
Top Bottom