Any OKC controllers?

Mdawg777

FAA
Facility
FLO Florence Tower
Current cpc looking for general info about the OKC ATC facility...not the academy. Training length and success rate, working environment, management style and relationship, etc. I’m new on .65 so hopefully this is the correct place to post. Any help is very much appreciated!!

Not a controller there, but some of the info you're looking for is on the facility page

Current cpc looking for general info about the OKC ATC facility...not the academy. Training length and success rate, working environment, management style and relationship, etc. I’m new on .65 so hopefully this is the correct place to post. Any help is very much appreciated!!
Ask Nhstadt
He’s a CPC-IT there.. he likes to voice his opinion on the training lol

I'm not at OKC. But, have heard OKC is a train wreck inside a burning dumpster. Apparently the ATM is a real piece of work.
I heard the same thing and have for years, it always blew my mind how that facility could be consistently so bad. It should be a “country club”. Decently high level, low cost of living, fun mix of traffic, tons of work details and extra activities to do at the academy to do at the academy if you want to dodge traffic, “legendary” FAA facility, etc..... It should be paradise.

I heard the same thing and have for years, it always blew my mind how that facility could be consistently so bad. It should be a “country club”. Decently high level, low cost of living, fun mix of traffic, tons of work details and extra activities to do at the academy to do at the academy if you want to dodge traffic, “legendary” FAA facility, etc..... It should be paradise.
What's legendary about okc? Like I'm here and genuinely have no clue what would make this place legendary aside from being across the field from headquarters.

What's legendary about okc? Like I'm here and genuinely have no clue what would make this place legendary aside from being across the field from headquarters.
I mean everything but the “legendary” part seems right though? It does seem like one that should be high sought after

My enroute class often talked at the academy how God awful it must be to be terminal and get assigned OKC after being in that damn place for 4 months when all you want to do is get out of Oklahoma at the end of it all

Both of my RTF trainers were OKC controllers that were probably about 2 years ago I think. One quit at a relatively young age because it was so toxic I guess and the other retired out of there but agreed that the person that quit got a raw deal. Retired guy still said if I was interested, I shouldn't be discouraged from applying but after reading all the online rumors, it's probably off my list.

My enroute class often talked at the academy how God awful it must be to be terminal and get assigned OKC after being in that damn place for 4 months when all you want to do is get out of Oklahoma at the end of it all
OKC is a great place to live. No its not NY or LA or SFO, but it doesn't come with the pitfalls of those places either. Got a great bar, restaurant and brewery scene for a mid sized city, cheap cost of living (level 8 pay here puts you solidly in the lower end of upper middle class) , lots of spousal work opportunities, I could go on.

Ya, there's a white trash backwards element to Oklahoma, and you gotta be picky about school districts moreso than a lot of other areas, but other than that its all good.

People that come to the academy and hang out at jojos and cowboys every weekend as if that's the only thing to do and then say how terrible okc is aren't really taking the time to see the whole picture.

OKC is a great place to live. No its not NY or LA or SFO, but it doesn't come with the pitfalls of those places either. Got a great bar, restaurant and brewery scene for a mid sized city, cheap cost of living (level 8 pay here puts you solidly in the lower end of upper middle class) , lots of spousal work opportunities, I could go on.

Ya, there's a white trash backwards element to Oklahoma, and you gotta be picky about school districts moreso than a lot of other areas, but other than that its all good.

People that come to the academy and hang out at jojos and cowboys every weekend as if that's the only thing to do and then say how terrible okc is aren't really taking the time to see the whole picture.
Lower upper middle class that’s a new one lol.

But in all seriousness I thought okc was a fine. Don’t get all the hate it gets. I’m guessing living there is way different than 3-4 months but overall it has almost everything you could want from a city.

Back
Top Bottom