Any OKC controllers?

Lower upper middle class that’s a new one lol.

But in all seriousness I thought okc was a fine. Don’t get all the hate it gets. I’m guessing living there is way different than 3-4 months but overall it has almost everything you could want from a city.
Haha ya by that I mean you can afford a nice house, good transportation, can afford to take vacations and/or have expensive hobbies and not have to worry about money too much, within reason of course. If you have a spouse that works, even better.

I'm a CPC-it and my wife's income is basically our play money for vacations and hobbies stuff. We have a kid on the way, and she got furloughed for covid and none of that has necessitated a change in our spending habits really.

I definitely don't feel rich, but I know I make more than many of my local married friends combined incomes by myself as a CPC-it.

That can't be said for many many other places on a fed salary.

Lower upper middle class that’s a new one lol.

But in all seriousness I thought okc was a fine. Don’t get all the hate it gets. I’m guessing living there is way different than 3-4 months but overall it has almost everything you could want from a city.
As someone who has lived in OKC for 2.5 years (not as a controller), it gets old pretty quick. Downtown has some decent spots but the wind, weather, hail, tornadoes and horrible red clay, etc really adds no value to my life personally. Just my .02

Both of my RTF trainers were OKC controllers that were probably about 2 years ago I think. One quit at a relatively young age because it was so toxic I guess and the other retired out of there but agreed that the person that quit got a raw deal. Retired guy still said if I was interested, I shouldn't be discouraged from applying but after reading all the online rumors, it's probably off my list.
Those were my instructors too.

OKC is a great place to live. No its not NY or LA or SFO, but it doesn't come with the pitfalls of those places either. Got a great bar, restaurant and brewery scene for a mid sized city, cheap cost of living (level 8 pay here puts you solidly in the lower end of upper middle class) , lots of spousal work opportunities, I could go on.

Ya, there's a white trash backwards element to Oklahoma, and you gotta be picky about school districts moreso than a lot of other areas, but other than that its all good.

People that come to the academy and hang out at jojos and cowboys every weekend as if that's the only thing to do and then say how terrible okc is aren't really taking the time to see the whole picture.
It’s horrendous for anyone that likes to do outside stuff

It’s horrendous for anyone that likes to do outside stuff
I'm a big time hunter, I love to fish, camp, float, hike, boat I do all that shit. You can do it all here except ski. Hell I own a sailboat. I'm 500 miles away from the nearest ocean.

Again assuming you leave the premises of kims place and jojos, and spend more than 2 months here you'd know that.

Ya it's hot as fuck in the summer. Just means it's lake time.

I'm a big time hunter, I love to fish, camp, float, hike, boat I do all that shit. You can do it all here except ski. Hell I own a sailboat. I'm 500 miles away from the nearest ocean.

Again assuming you leave the premises of kims place and jojos, and spend more than 2 months here you'd know that.

Well i mean it’s flat. I like to snowboard, hike, mountain bike. Etc.

Well i mean it’s flat. I like to snowboard, hike, mountain bike. Etc.
Ya you aren't getting much skiing or snowboarding in, but eastern ok is actually pretty hilly. Tons of state land with good hiking trails here with lots of varied terrain.

Frankly I lived in Texas for almost 5 years and it was way worse in terms of outdoor opportunities. Hell NY was better than Texas for outdoor stuff suprsingly enough.

Ya you aren't getting much skiing or snowboarding in, but eastern ok is actually pretty hilly. Tons of state land with good hiking trails here with lots of varied terrain.

Frankly I lived in Texas for almost 5 years and it was way worse in terms of outdoor opportunities. Hell NY was better than Texas for outdoor stuff suprsingly enough.
I mean New York has mountains and us the state with the most ski areas.

The one that quit because they wouldn't approve a continued part-time schedule? When the rest of the facility was working Overtime?
I didn't get too many details but I think that sounds about right. I remember they had a family and wanted to spend more time with their kid or a more normal schedule or something along those lines now that you've refreshed my memory. Maybe OKC ain't so bad after all.

Come to MI man, surrounded by Great Lakes and 1,000’s of inland lakes, world leading walleye fishing, hunting is plentiful for whitetail, camping, etc. No piping hot weather. You get all 4 seasons which is nice unless you despise snow and getting ice on your beard but ice fishing is always fun along with other winter activities. To each their own, everyone likes their own places for certain reasons. I’m a northern Midwest guy.

I actually was extremely surprised by okc when I went for the academy, I thought it was going to be back country hillbilly land but it’s actually one of my favorite cities I’ve ever been to, there’s a reason it’s consistently on the top ten cities of its size to live in

I actually was extremely surprised by okc when I went for the academy, I thought it was going to be back country hillbilly land but it’s actually one of my favorite cities I’ve ever been to, there’s a reason it’s consistently on the top ten cities of its size to live in
Yea no shortage of people willing to meet behind the Culver’s dumpster for a bang right?

Back
Top Bottom