FAA CRASHPADS Just 5m from the FAA Academy!

ATCOV Color Vision Test

BravoCharlie

FAA
Facility
ZNY New York Center
what was the time frame from taking your medical exam to taking this test?
Took my medical December 5th, test tomorrow so 2 weeks about. The wait is basically them approving the funding for your travels. If you happen to live near your region's testing center it may move faster if you can just get there yourself.

jmbialk1

Took my medical December 5th, test tomorrow so 2 weeks about. The wait is basically them approving the funding for your travels. If you happen to live near your region's testing center it may move faster if you can just get there yourself.
do they give you a range of dates to choose from? I'm trying to plan a trip that might be right around the time when the color vision test would be

BravoCharlie

FAA
Facility
ZNY New York Center
do they give you a range of dates to choose from? I'm trying to plan a trip that might be right around the time when the color vision test would be
Yes, they ask when you are available. My suggestion: get it done as soon as possible, unless you're in no hurry to get to the academy. But the last thing I want is something on my medical holding me up.

jmbialk1

Yes, they ask when you are available. My suggestion: get it done as soon as possible, unless you're in no hurry to get to the academy. But the last thing I want is something on my medical holding me up.
I agree thanks! one last thing does it have to be completed within the 60 days like everything else?

BravoCharlie

FAA
Facility
ZNY New York Center
what was the time frame from taking your medical exam to taking this test?
I'm really not too positive on that one... I didn't want to take any chances so I made sure it was within the 60 days, but no one ever mentioned that it had to be done I'm just assuming it does since it's part of your medical. Maybe someone else can vouch in this thread on that one?

BravoCharlie

FAA
Facility
ZNY New York Center

If any of you in this thread have a few minutes even if you have already taken the ATCOV I'm curious to see what "type" of color troubles you have. At the end of the test it will tell you. If you have already taken the ATCOV please state if you passed or not along with this test result.

Last edited:

arturoh3

If any of you in this thread have a few minutes even if you have already taken the ATCOV I'm curious to see what "type" of color troubles you have. At the end of the test it will tell you. If you have already taken the ATCOV please state if you passed or not along with this test result.
I got “MODERATE DEUTAN”. I passed the ATCOV test back in April.

BravoCharlie

FAA
Facility
ZNY New York Center
I got “MODERATE DEUTAN”. I passed the ATCOV test back in April.
Sweet thanks! Mine came out to be Strong Protan. I take the test tomorrow in Salt Lake. Anyone else in here have a type of Protan color blindness and passed the ATCOV?

qkoronap

I ended up passing everything but the radar identification (87.7% fail). The person administering it was on her first day of the job and told me she wasn’t sure if those results means if I move on or not.

Last edited:

qkoronap

Just an update for anyone who has future questions about the ATCOV:

You are not medically disqualified if you fail a portion of the ATCOV. For instance, I failed Ocean 21 due to me not being able to distinguish between white and sky blue. As a result, I will likely be restricted to just terminal positions.

Don't give up before or even during your ATCOV, you can move on to the next phase just fine.

32andBelow

Legendary Member
Just an update for anyone who has future questions about the ATCOV:

You are not medically disqualified if you fail a portion of the ATCOV. For instance, I failed Ocean 21 due to me not being able to distinguish between white and sky blue. As a result, I will likely be restricted to just terminal positions.

Don't give up before or even during your ATCOV, you can move on to the next phase just fine.
Ocean21 is used by like a very small amount of en route controllers

jdatc

Forum Sage
Ocean21 is used by like a very small amount of en route controllers

Instead call it Atops and people will think you are old school. Seriously failing that is a blessing, no one wants to work that. It’s boring and way too easy. Good move.

Top Bottom