ATSA Compilation

By randomizing order do you mean it will not always flash as A=# B=# C=# consecutively ABC?
Or will it just randomize the questions after the flash of ABC ?
sorry I don't know how to quote yet lol.

If I recall correctly, it would flash the values in order (A=2, then B=3, then C=1) but when you answered they would sometimes be out of order. (C=?, A=?, B=?)

On the spatial recognition portion... was that timed as well? Meaning they would take it off the screen and move to the next question if you didn't answer fast enough?

On the spatial recognition portion... was that timed as well? Meaning they would take it off the screen and move to the next question if you didn't answer fast enough?
Yes. About two seconds for each one and it would move on to the next one if you didn't answer.

Hello to all,

Just wanted to first say this compilation couldn't be More accurate unless they flat out gave u the exam on a computer! So hats off to the creator!! Like all I'm sure we all have random questions popping through are heads & I was wondering if anyone has any updated information. My questions are:

I know there are two tiers but how many people applied in general I was hearing around 10-20k..?? Also I hear they are hiring 2k? Seems low for the news coming out about the massive need for more experienced controllers.

I get different responses about the last test scheduled I personally took it nov 28th but I think there was the option to take it up until the 31st of january.-- regardless when do the results come back? (I know it's on a qualified not qualified basis) My guess was after the holidays around begining of February and then clearance and background will start to take process..

Any updated good information would be greatly appreciated!

PS sorry grammar has never been my strong suit my apologies for the continuous run on with poor punctuation.

Good luck & thanks for any help

From the numbers I have seen... Somewhere around 25-30,000 applied. Around 10,000 passed the BA. Currently, somewhere around 7,000 have taken the ATSA. I have not seen any numbers saying they are hiring a certain amount of people on this bid, they have stated that they plan to hire around 1400 this year. Most people seem to think that means that is all they are hiring from the bid, but it is too early to say. The FAA does things how they want to, and may change things half way through. That being said, the 2016 OTS bid came around 17 months after the 2015 bid. So, if you anticipate 1.5 years @ 1400 a year, you can get around that 2000 mark. I could see them doing two full years of hiring of this bid, but I doubt much longer than that. People that applied may not want to still do the job in 2 years - life happens.

As for test dates, they stated that you have until Jan 31 I believe. Most people have said that the latest test date was today. I can't verify that though - and I remember someone saying they could have scheduled one later than that. Many people also had errors pop up during the test, so they have to retest, which may run in January. Ultimately, no one knows, or the people that do know aren't telling applicants (pretty standard not to pass info down to applicants). I can almost guarantee no one will hear anything until at least January though - the 2015 bid was about two weeks after the final test. They will select applicants, and break them into groups - staggering them so things don't get too backed up (2000 people trying to get a medical at once would push wait times from 4-6 months to 1-2 years).

I got in on the March 2015 bid, and I am going to the academy next week - so just under 2 years... I wouldn't get too worked up/anxious for the FAA's speedy actions.

Does any one know anyone that rescheduled past today? Also, I took mine today, 2 people got turned away for not having 2 IDs. I don't think they rescheduled . Side note,,,that ball game was crazy.

Rdyotz cool post. I was at barksdale in the usaf for 3 years had a littl mix up but have LOR's,
3 years ojt had all certs bedsides local due to low traffic/ saturation of trainees . Excited about the opportunity to get a crack at the academy just so many questions. I'm hearing FAA more deserprate than in the past 3 decades due to difersafacation hiring that led to high washouts..

Any info from anyone at all would be greatly appreciated. As we are all kind of in a quandary together

Last edited:
Bumping this since there will be a million threads by people who don't search before posting.

For those getting emails to schedule the AT-SA today, you have a number of great resources here. Start by re-reading this thread. In terms of data, this is what you're looking at...

2016 AT-SA
~9,300 applicants took the AT-SA

5,243 applicants passed the ATSA (56% pass rate)
2,242 are in Pool 1
3,001 are in Pool 2.

2017 AT-SA
5,383 applicants will be taking the AT-SA

2,194 Pool 1
3,189 Pool 2

HR is instructed to only inform applicants if they pass or fail the AT-SA. In fact, if they accidentally tell you your score, they are suppose to notify the office of the deputy of human resource services of their infraction.

Within the 'Pass' category, there are two bands...

Band 1 - 80-100
Band 2 - 70-79

They will exhaust Band 1 prior to moving to Band 2. Last panel, they exhausted Band 1 applicants (~3,000), zero Band 2 applicants were given TOL's. Last panel, they hired enough to cover two fiscal years of hiring. This panel, they will only be selecting 1,400 applicants (~700 from each pool). By law, the amount hired from each pool can only differ by 10% (45% Pool 1/55% Pool 2 and vice versa).

For Veterans, your preference (+5 or +10) will be added to your AT-SA score.

For those who passed the AT-SA in 2016 and were not selected, I cannot stress enough, you need to re-take the AT-SA. If you choose not to, they will exhaust Band 1 again. If any spots are remaining, it is a random draw from the Band 2 applicants. For those that took it last year, you weren't far off, you know what you're up against, come prepared and give it hell.

Last edited:
Does the fact that they hired so many applicants last panel mean that new hires from the 2017 panel will have an extra long wait to get a class date?

Is it known which pool they hired more people from last panel? The ratio?

It's been reported that test scores are good for three years... does this include the old AT-SAT? For instance someone could have taken it in 2015 and been selected but not completed training for one reason or another. Would that score have any significance now and how would it be compared to the new AT-SA scores?

Just got an email to take the test, pretty stoked.. Definitely awesome information in this forum!!! I see from last years applicants it's a pretty difficult area to get a grip on practicing for this exam. Noticed this site called atcprep recommended by stuckmic and it has four modules pertaining to the new test. Any verification toward whether or not this is worth looking into?

Does the fact that they hired so many applicants last panel mean that new hires from the 2017 panel will have an extra long wait to get a class date?

Is it known which pool they hired more people from last panel? The ratio?

It's been reported that test scores are good for three years... does this include the old AT-SAT? For instance someone could have taken it in 2015 and been selected but not completed training for one reason or another. Would that score have any significance now and how would it be compared to the new AT-SA scores?
In my professional opinion, I would expect a longer then normal delay for those selected on this past panel to attend the academy based on the current backlog.
Last panel was 50.7% Pool 1, 49.3% Pool 2.
Once they made the switch to the AT-SA, AT-SAT scores are no longer valid.

In my professional opinion, I would expect a longer then normal delay for those selected on this past panel to attend the academy based on the current backlog.
Last panel was 50.7% Pool 1, 49.3% Pool 2.
Once they made the switch to the AT-SA, AT-SAT scores are no longer valid.

Thanks!

Just got an email to take the test, pretty stoked.. Definitely awesome information in this forum!!! I see from last years applicants it's a pretty difficult area to get a grip on practicing for this exam. Noticed this site called atcprep recommended by stuckmic and it has four modules pertaining to the new test. Any verification toward whether or not this is worth looking into?
No personal experience, but parts of it look ok. Much of it is outdated though, so that gives me some pause. I'm going to reach out to the developers.

For those getting emails to schedule the AT-SA today, you have a number of great resources here. Start by re-reading this thread. In terms of data, this is what you're looking at...

2016 AT-SA
~9,300 applicants took the AT-SA

5,243 applicants passed the ATSA (56% pass rate)
2,242 are in Pool 1
3,001 are in Pool 2.

2017 AT-SA
5,383 applicants will be taking the AT-SA

2,194 Pool 1
3,189 Pool 2

HR is instructed to only inform applicants if they pass or fail the AT-SA. In fact, if they accidentally tell you your score, they are suppose to notify the office of the deputy of human resource services of their infraction.

Within the 'Pass' category, there are two bands...

Band 1 - 80-100
Band 2 - 70-79

They will exhaust Band 1 prior to moving to Band 2. Last panel, they exhausted Band 1 applicants (~3,000), zero Band 2 applicants were given TOL's. Last panel, they hired enough to cover two fiscal years of hiring. This panel, they will only be selecting 1,400 applicants (~700 from each pool). By law, the amount hired from each pool can only differ by 10% (45% Pool 1/55% Pool 2 and vice versa).

For Veterans, your preference (+5 or +10) will be added to your AT-SA score.

For those who passed the AT-SA in 2016 and were not selected, I cannot stress enough, you need to re-take the AT-SA. If you choose not to, they will exhaust Band 1 again. If any spots are remaining, it is a random draw from the Band 2 applicants. For those that took it last year, you weren't far off, you know what you're up against, come prepared and give it hell.

So my understanding with the part about a 10% difference in the pool hiring is that, hypothetically, if everyone in band 1 is also Pool 1 and all band 2 is Pool 2 they would not fulfill their hiring requirement from band 1 because that exceeds the 10% difference in Pool hiring? So essentially they wouldn't be taking the best of the qualified.

So my understanding with the part about a 10% difference in the pool hiring is that, hypothetically, if everyone in band 1 is also Pool 1 and all band 2 is Pool 2 they would not fulfill their hiring requirement from band 1 because that exceeds the 10% difference in Pool hiring? So essentially they wouldn't be taking the best of the qualified.
Your hypothetical is correct. Last panel they had ~1,500 Band 1 candidates in each pool. It'll never happen to the extreme you suggested but there is potential to occur to a lesser extent this panel (Ex. 600 band 1's in one pool, 800 in another) .

Your hypothetical is correct. Last panel they had ~1,500 Band 1 candidates in each pool. It'll never happen to the extreme you suggested but there is potential to occur to a lesser extent this panel (Ex. 600 band 1's in one pool, 800 in another) .
So they hired close to 3,000 last bid?

So they hired close to 3,000 last bid?
3,027. Two fiscal years worth of applicants. This panel they are slated to select 1,400. No previous panel has ever adhered to the exact number advertised. It would not surprise me if they end up selecting 1,500-1600 based on the number of band 1 candidates.

If no objects need to be removed, you press 0 (don't press it too soon, as once you do, you can't remove any planes).
Is there any indication of when each scenario is nearing completion? How do you know there won't be more objects entering the screen?

Some tests penalize for wrong or incomplete answers, others don't, the individual sub test instruction will mention if they do.
Can anyone explain what this means and which tests it applies to? How could there be no penalty for wrong answers?

Back
Top Bottom