Back to work

She was a RPO in the ORD sim for several years before being hired. While that is not ATC experience, those RPOs had some skill.

She has worked the ORD sim and actually has an idea of what is needed to succeed there.

I can understand that opinion. Trust me, training at a level 11 with the most incompetent RPOs possible, I would totally agree. But ORD has a very strict and extensive RPO program. For example, when were doing a sim skill check, they would not let the in-training RPOs work, as it could negatively affect our performance.

Yes, I am. She has many years of experience as an RPO at a level 12 facility, while this person as been CPC for a year at a low level facility. There is a huge difference. I get it, CPCs think they are they are the end all to be all. But having experience in many training environments, (which is more than I can say for our one year CPC), I think I know what I am talking about.

wow we in here talkin bout RPOS? NOT REAL ATC? we talkin RPO? RPOS man. Man WE sittin here talkin RPOS? We talkin bout RPOS? BEING AN RPO? RPOS? What are we talkin about... RPOS? we talkin bout RPOS? We aint even talkin bout ATC? RPOS? We not even talkin bout real ATC man, we talkin RPOS.

giphy.gif

I don’t think anyone is arguing that this person was the most qualified of all the people trying to go to ORD. Someone posted that her dad used to be the ATM and her mom still works there, neither of which are accurate. Another person brought up her RPO experience as a little bit of context, as in she isn’t just a random person who happened to put paperwork in. She’s worked at the facility and knows the operation and more importantly, they know her and apparently are confident enough in her to rank her near the top somewhere.

I don’t know her and I’m not defending the selection, just pointing that out. Also, 3 out of the last 4 selections (myself included) were from MDW.

The worst part about NCEPT, and why I prefer the old way, is there have been many people from lower level towers, I believe the above mentioned person included, that have put paperwork in for both MDW and ORD and get selected for ORD. Simply because they’re higher on the priority list.

Everyone’s salty they’re stuck in their facility’s. N90 will take you. Level 4’s and all

with the influx of transfers we got over the last year or 2, prior level has no bearing on success rate. The one we had from F11 was one of the worst controllers ive ever seen, no idea how he made it there, def wouldn’t have even made it at my Air Force facility, and one of the ones from a 5 up/down is one of the best.

with the influx of transfers we got over the last year or 2, prior level has no bearing on success rate. The one we had from F11 was one of the worst controllers ive ever seen, no idea how he made it there, def wouldn’t have even made it at my Air Force facility, and one of the ones from a 5 up/down is one of the best.
Yeah that was the joke

I don’t think anyone is arguing that this person was the most qualified of all the people trying to go to ORD.
Yes, I am. She has worked the ORD sim and actually has an idea of what is needed to succeed there.

All I'm trying to point out is what you see on paper may not be what is the same in real life. Yes, a level 4 to level 12 looks horrible on paper. But there are several other factors at play that can justify the choice. Does it suck for others who think facility level = qualifications, yes. But as unprobable as it may seem, she may best the best candidate.

Here you go, as someone in the agency who was also a RPO at a level 12 facility I will say this. I 100% think I'd get an easy check out if I ever went back to that facility, but thats only cause I had a knack for getting drunk and buying everyone drinks at the bars outside of work not because being an RPO taught me how to work live traffic.

Here you go, as someone in the agency who was also a RPO at a level 12 facility I will say this. I 100% think I'd get an easy check out if I ever went back to that facility, but thats only cause I had a knack for getting drunk and buying everyone drinks at the bars outside of work not because being an RPO taught me how to work live traffic.
Our RPOs are one step above the janitors. I’m glad you have hope thou.
It doesn’t matter what you’ve done or know or have been in the Faa. If you want to check out study your ass off and work harder. There is no magic formula.

Out of the loop. So someone from MIC got selected at ORD because they were an RPO pilot there? I would hope there were no better candidates applying where a lvl 4 controller is the best option.

Oh yeah, I did read that in the safety report.
Also saw an idea posted on IdeaHub a few days after that about making a STARS change to give a warning if you try to put a closed runway in someone's datablock.
This has literally nothing to do with getting back to work. Maybe move this conversation to the NCEPT thread.

I heard the one you guys got from that 12 TRACON was a real sack of shit. Best of luck.

They really, really need to make the manager rankings public for each panel.
Your RVP or FacRep or ATM (if they were able to select) can all get access to rankings. I had to use my RVP when a facility I applied for selected from low levels over me and I wanted to make sure my name was on the list the facility received. Unfortunately the facility wouldn’t even tell me if my name was on it.

Your RVP or FacRep or ATM (if they were able to select) can all get access to rankings. I had to use my RVP when a facility I applied for selected from low levels over me and I wanted to make sure my name was on the list the facility received. Unfortunately the facility wouldn’t even tell me if my name was on it.
My RVP and facrep certainly cannot. The ATM's have access to the rankings of course and some will take the facrep's input on ncept selections but I don't know of any who will share the rankings of other facilities. It's an extremely shady system and management will fight tooth and nail to keep those rankings from being known

My RVP and facrep certainly cannot. The ATM's have access to the rankings of course and some will take the facrep's input on ncept selections but I don't know of any who will share the rankings of other facilities. It's an extremely shady system and management will fight tooth and nail to keep those rankings from being known
On two occasions my RVP gave me my rankings at each facility. This is how I know that the facilities ranked them above me and it wasn’t NCEPT dynamic bullshit that didn’t get me hired. So your RVP must not want to do it.

It's an extremely shady system and management will fight tooth and nail to keep those rankings from being known

Yup. The system is called: nepotism, politics, and old boys.

You dont get selected by being ambitious, qualified, or interviewing well.... unless you're applying to a shithole no one wants. IE, Alaska, A Center, or one of the lowly facilities left for dead in the wake of an 804 scam. SEE: state of Michigan.

On two occasions my RVP gave me my rankings at each facility. This is how I know that the facilities ranked them above me and it wasn’t NCEPT dynamic bullshit that didn’t get me hired. So your RVP must not want to do it.
Yeah I didn't know they could get it. Even then, he just gave you your # in the ranking, right?

The entire list needs to be shown to the workforce. If you're going to rank an ex-RPO from a level 4 over a CPC from another 11 or 12 who's been trying to ERR for the better part of a decade you need to be held accountable. Keeping everything in the dark is total BS and the sort of behavior we're being told that NCEPT was created to eliminate.

Yeah I didn't know they could get it. Even then, he just gave you your # in the ranking, right?

The entire list needs to be shown to the workforce. If you're going to rank an ex-RPO from a level 4 over a CPC from another 11 or 12 who's been trying to ERR for the better part of a decade you need to beheld accountable. Keeping everythingin the dark is total BS and the sort of behavior we're being told that NCEPT was created to eliminate.
He told me what facilities were above me in the list. So I had my ranking at #7 and info on everyone above me. So he said their first selection was taken by another facility. They got their second and third. Fourth was taken by another facility. They got their fifth. Etc.

But I 100% agree the rankings should be available. Unfortunately because the move isn’t a promotion, same position - CPC, they don’t have to justify anything.

Back
Top Bottom