C90

What’s the reason?

My specialty at my facility sent two controllers there. One is back already and the story is that the other will be on his way back as soon as the year is up and he won't have to pay the move money back. According to them, it wasn't the work, they didn't like the facility and the relationship management had with the union. Apparently management is something of a bulldozer and there isn't a culture of cooperation at all. That's only what I've heard from the returning controllers, I have no first hand knowledge.

How is the Elgin area?
I live 10 minutes west of the TRACON. I love the neighborhood that I’m in. Many controllers from C90 and ZAU live here. The TRACON itself is in a newly built industrial park. Located right next to one of the best public golf courses in the state. There’s numerous towns within 20 minutes of the TRACON that you can find as very appealing places to live. Hope this helps.

My specialty at my facility sent two controllers there. One is back already and the story is that the other will be on his way back as soon as the year is up and he won't have to pay the move money back. According to them, it wasn't the work, they didn't like the facility and the relationship management had with the union. Apparently management is something of a bulldozer and there isn't a culture of cooperation at all. That's only what I've heard from the returning controllers, I have no first hand knowledge.
You’re not far off, I know 2 people that returned as controllers because of this, another had bid a permenant sup job to then return to ZAU as a controller and lost almost ten years of NATCA time cause it was that bad... I’d stay away. At least for now. There’s a reason I live 10 minutes away but work at ZAU instead. Lol.

How likely is one to get picked up if they apply for the USA jobs posting? Is it a pretty sure bet as long as you apply and meet the requirements?

Several coworkers have gone there and come right back. Is it really the NATCA/Sup's relationship or is it something else?

Several coworkers have gone there and come right back. Is it really the NATCA/Sup's relationship or is it something else?
I’ve heard that’s the reason why, just a piss poor atmosphere. A co worker only made it 5-6 months before he decided to withdraw from training and that’s where he grew up, so that’s saying something. He also said 3 people withdrew the first week he was there. Now there’s been at least 5 since then that he’s spoken of.

Last edited:
WTF could possibly be so rampant that people drop out that fast? Its the FAA, its not like they can treat you like dirt like the Army.

WTF could possibly be so rampant that people drop out that fast? Its the FAA, its not like they can treat you like dirt like the Army.

Scammers trying to get out of their last facility or people that didn’t realize you might have to work hard occasionally. Some people have family issues too... My favorite is the people that waste our time and wait a year to keep their move money.

-Also.... I I think they are doing away with the ATC8 requirement.

Last edited:
We had a supervisor return here from C90 after he spent about 10 years or so there. Not sure why he came back, but I have a feeling he wasn't too happy over there. Going from C90 to N90 is pretty much a lateral move money wise. ?‍♀️

We had a supervisor return here from C90 after he spent about 10 years or so there. Not sure why he came back, but I have a feeling he wasn't too happy over there. Going from C90 to N90 is pretty much a lateral move money wise. ?‍♀️
Yeah. I don’t blame him! He was getting a raw deal. A lot of management that was around fucking things up at that point is gone now luckily. We will see how the summer goes...

Hows the NATCA/mgmt relationship there? If mgmt is heavy handed I could understand nobody wanting to work there

People keep withdrawing from training for a reason other than the difficulty.

WTF is going on up there? I know 3 people that left my facility and went there and all 3 left there within 2 years because they hated it. I'm temped to bid on it but it seems like a disaster up there. SOMETHING is going on at C90.

WTF is going on up there? I know 3 people that left my facility and went there and all 3 left there within 2 years because they hated it. I'm temped to bid on it but it seems like a disaster up there. SOMETHING is going on at C90.
Maybe you ask them specifics about what they hated and report back to us? It's not like they signed an NDA

I have, nobody seems to be able to put their finger on anything specific. Just general "I just hated the work environment" kind of stuff. Which to me, is more of a personality conflict than anything. One of them whined about having to draw maps like the rest of the trainees since he was a CPC transfer so I don't take his opinion into consideration. Also, I don't know any of them well enough to really press for details.

I don't believe the "Level 8 and above" is absolute. I've heard they've been calling and reaching out to Level 7's recently. Must be desperate. FWIW I think the level 8 rule is well intentioned but obviously flawed and an imperfect broad brush to paint all prospective transfers with!

Back
Top Bottom