Change of Station leave

Good thing Riley didn’t win that spot I guess!

On another note for people who argue that it is better to take COS on the new facilities dime, you should also consider that your certification could be pushed out 8 days on the back end of training, costing you 8 days CPC pay making it a wash. Food for thought!

Just to help others out for those who have ATM's like the OP's. It's Article 29 Section 4...

Section 4. Up to sixty-four (64) hours of excused absence, as requested by
the employee, shall be granted for arrangements incident to a change in the
employee's official post of duty, including initial assignments, and upon
completion of initial qualifications training, regardless of whether or not
the residence is being relocated. Excused absence may be granted up to
two (2) years from the effective date of the permanent change of official
post of duty. Employees may be required to provide justification for the
use of this time. This Section is not inclusive of any time provided for
"house hunting.”

EX. #1 - I'm moving from X to Y - SHALL be approved. There's nothing your current ATM can do if you choose to take it on the front.

The 'may' portion, which is up to the ATM's discretion, deals with after you've relocated (if you didn't use all 64 hours on the initial move). COS can be used for up to 2 years following your start date. An ATM can request justification. If an ATM asks for justification, provide him/her with any number of relevant reasons (exploring this area, moving into a new house, touring schools, etc.)

As far as the debate on when you take it, it's all mental. Your hourly rate is still going to change to X on the same date regardless of if it's calculated via leave or if you choose to work it. Like others have said, I'd prefer showing up to a new facility on Day 1. Sooner is always better in my book. For those that need additional training before hitting the floor (RTF, all enroute trainees, etc), you never know when the last spot at RTF or a D-side fills up. Taking 8 days on the backend could result in someone else taking that last spot and now 8 days translates into a multi-month wait later on.

I was looking at the A29 section 4 and was wondering if since I got COS after i left the academy last year, would I get COS again heading to a new facility?

Just to help others out for those who have ATM's like the OP's. It's Article 29 Section 4...

Section 4. Up to sixty-four (64) hours of excused absence, as requested by
the employee, shall be granted for arrangements incident to a change in the
employee's official post of duty, including initial assignments, and upon
completion of initial qualifications training, regardless of whether or not
the residence is being relocated. Excused absence may be granted up to
two (2) years from the effective date of the permanent change of official
post of duty. Employees may be required to provide justification for the
use of this time. This Section is not inclusive of any time provided for
"house hunting.”

EX. #1 - I'm moving from X to Y - SHALL be approved. There's nothing your current ATM can do if you choose to take it on the front.

The 'may' portion, which is up to the ATM's discretion, deals with after you've relocated (if you didn't use all 64 hours on the initial move). COS can be used for up to 2 years following your start date. An ATM can request justification. If an ATM asks for justification, provide him/her with any number of relevant reasons (exploring this area, moving into a new house, touring schools, etc.)

As far as the debate on when you take it, it's all mental. Your hourly rate is still going to change to X on the same date regardless of if it's calculated via leave or if you choose to work it. Like others have said, I'd prefer showing up to a new facility on Day 1. Sooner is always better in my book. For those that need additional training before hitting the floor (RTF, all enroute trainees, etc), you never know when the last spot at RTF or a D-side fills up. Taking 8 days on the backend could result in someone else taking that last spot and now 8 days translates into a multi-month wait later on.

What if you’re counted for staffing on the days leading up to your new duty station report date?

What if you’re counted for staffing on the days leading up to your new duty station report date?

It shouldn’t matter. COS is not dependent on staffing. Your manager will probably fight it, but if you keep escalating things, you can win in the end.

Lets put it this way, if your entire facility passed away 8 days prior to your start date and you were the only CPC in the building, COS shall be granted.[/QUWhat if you put in the COS leave, it does not get approved, you don’t file a grievance and you don’t show up (because you’re moving).

What would happen if you put in the COS excused leave, it doesn’t get approved, you don’t file a grievance and you don’t show up (because you’re moving)?

What would happen if you put in the COS excused leave, it doesn’t get approved, you don’t file a grievance and you don’t show up (because you’re moving)?
Most likely outcome is your ATM would assign you as being AWOL, then you'd have to fight it on the other end to get back pay. Again, this one is easy. Get with your ATM and FacRep, show them where it says COS shall be approved. If they still refused, escalate to your RVP who will go to your district manager and they will be educated from above. Get it resolved before you leave.

Article 99 section 6.

"Transfers under this Article shall not be eligible to Receive any permanent change of station benefits. "... Has anyone brought this up ?

PCOS is completely different then your standard COS. PCOS is a paid move, additional days for house hunting trips, etc. The only facilities with PCOS are N90, C90, and Guam.

I put my request in as soon as I knew my release date, as I wanted it all on my current facilities schedule, so right after last NCEPT. The ATM is still fighting it, but I escalated it so we’ll see what’s up.

Back
Top Bottom