CPC reinstatements

Networking is huge. Just remember multiple people need to say yes up the chain. At the first facility I tried this process the ATM said yes, but the district said no even though the gaining facility would have been below 85%.

Networking is huge. Just remember multiple people need to say yes up the chain. At the first facility I tried this process the ATM said yes, but the district said no even though the gaining facility would have been below 85%.
I am curious about districts reasoning, did you receive a letter detailing the why?

The facility was gaining people from NCEPT, but they still were going to be below 85%. The second facility I tried this at had just as many inbounds and I was approved all the way through. It was in a different region. I think that is what made the difference. Also I knew controllers at the second fax.

Both facilities were 12s.

The district that denied me to the TRACON due to inbounds counter offered me a couple VFR towers in their district. My FAA experience was center and my military experience was approach, so I asked HR if I could wait to make a decision until I heard back from the second facility. They were fine with that.

Had the second facility fell through I would have accepted one of those towers but it would have been a pay cut from my dod job. I wanted to get back in the faa. I called the first ATM after finding out the district denied me. I wanted to thank him for the opportunity to try and work there. He was surprised I called and pretty upset that they hadn’t told him. It seemed like people were stepping on his toes.

I know of a facility in the Jacksonville District that flat out told the person they would have to go through the prior exp bid instead.
I received a letter from HR. It explained they denied me due to inbounds from NCEPT. It also explained why I couldn’t go to an up/down in their district due to 100% staffing. They offered 2 towers, but they didn’t offer me the center which I thought was odd.

Last edited:
I tried applying to several facilities in my district, to include A80; 13+ years ATC experience including RADAR, denied by district. It’s hit or miss. Don’t assume this CPC-reinstatement process will all work out the way you want it to. Plan on broadening your scope and applying to many places outside your desired area. I hear networking helps too

Currently dealing with the same issue as Raz. Atm was onboard and someone above him denied it. HR offered two lower level towers in the district, including the one I originally resigned from. It’s definitely not a sure fire thing, so people should be prepared for that type of response.

The facility was gaining people from NCEPT, but they still were going to be below 85%. The second facility I tried this at had just as many inbounds and I was approved all the way through. It was in a different region. I think that is what made the difference. Also I knew controllers at the second fax.

Both facilities were 12s.

The district that denied me to the TRACON due to inbounds counter offered me a couple VFR towers in their district. My FAA experience was center and my military experience was approach, so I asked HR if I could wait to make a decision until I heard back from the second facility. They were fine with that.

Had the second facility fell through I would have accepted one of those towers but it would have been a pay cut from my dod job. I wanted to get back in the faa. I called the first ATM after finding out the district denied me. I wanted to thank him for the opportunity to try and work there. He was surprised I called and pretty upset that they hadn’t told him. It seemed like people were stepping on his toes.
Good on you for calling him back! Perhaps it will bring good karma/juju back on you in the future.

Good on you for calling him back! Perhaps it will bring good karma/juju back on you in the future.
That is what I hope. Next time I’m in the area I’m going to call and try to get a tour. My process was all during COVID and I would like to put a name to a face someday.

Currently dealing with the same issue as Raz. Atm was onboard and someone above him denied it. HR offered two lower level towers in the district, including the one I originally resigned from. It’s definitely not a sure fire thing, so people should be prepared for that type of response.
They might as well not even bother including the atm in this process if they're just going to say no all the time.

And to follow back to the person being denied due to national average that's weird too. Where are the SOPs for NEST and CPC reinstatement? Listed in here somewhere? (on my phone hard to look). I thought I read somewhere on this website that someone was denied a facility he wanted back home when he went to the nest and he grieved it and won. Basically two factors they were saying he didn't qualify even though his previous facility was the same level or higher than the one he wanted and that they were below the projected staffing. Maybe I'm wrong though.

They might as well not even bother including the atm in this process if they're just going to say no all the time.

And to follow back to the person being denied due to national average that's weird too. Where are the SOPs for NEST and CPC reinstatement? Listed in here somewhere? (on my phone hard to look). I thought I read somewhere on this website that someone was denied a facility he wanted back home when he went to the nest and he grieved it and won. Basically two factors they were saying he didn't qualify even though his previous facility was the same level or higher than the one he wanted and that they were below the projected staffing. Maybe I'm wrong though.
CPC Reinstatement SOP is linked in this thread back on first page or two and also under the resources tab. Here is a link to NEST SOP, may need to access from gov't computer:

Attached the Nest SOP below also

Attachments

• Responsibilities of the National Employee Services Team (NEST).pdf
    358.8 KB · Views: 32
I'm getting the growing feeling that the good old days of the CPC reinstatement program getting you a great facility are dwindling...
I don’t I would say that. For now just have reasonable expectations. If you’re trying to jump from a low level to a 12 then some of the managers and approvers may be skeptical. That’s not my opinion. I’m just looking at it from their point of view.

If you are going this route then have a plan and network early. Due to COVID I couldn’t visit facilities, but I called the ATMs once a week and bull shitted for a little while and eventually both decided to put my package forward. I know for a fact both managers called my old facility and asked about me. I don’t think either would have hired me if the old facility said I was a sick. Reputation carries some weight in our job. If you’re an asshole then be prepared for that to follow you. Try to get something on the outside. I had an FOL for the dod. I quit on a Monday and Friday I was in the dod.

I know a person that tried to reinstate at a few facilities and it didn’t work out. He ended up getting picked up on the prior experience bid. He had spoken to HR and they told him since he was CPC at X level, that there would be a few X levels on his list to chose from. I don’t know if that is the case for everyone. Maybe there just happen to be openings at those facilities.

Just curious do you have to be completely out of agency in order to be reinstated at new facility or just out of the 2152 position? If you take a tech ops jobs and decide a year later it’s not for you are you sent back to facility or can you go to a different facility?

Another question if you take supervisor position but decide later you don’t want it are you sent back to previous facility or allowed to stay at new facility?

Another question if you take supervisor position but decide later you don’t want it are you sent back to previous facility or allowed to stay at new facility?
Regarding the sup question, you would normally stay where your at but be reduced to BUE status with zero seniority and have to certify on all positions if you haven’t already being trained by people who will probably realize you scammed and hate you. With the Tech Ops thing, you would not just be “sent to your old facility” for ATC if you were out of the 2152 job, you would need to reapply.

Regarding the sup question, you would normally stay where your at but be reduced to BUE status with zero seniority and have to certify on all positions if you haven’t already being trained by people who will probably realize you scammed and hate you. With the Tech Ops thing, you would not just be “sent to your old facility” for ATC if you were out of the 2152 job, you would need to reapply.
Scammed and hate is looking better and better every day when you’re stuck in a black hole facility….and would people really be that upset I’d be back to the bottom of the totem pole for seniority? And when you say reapply would it be a direct hire reapply or through a open bid?

Scammed and hate is looking better and better every day when you’re stuck in a black hole facility….and would people really be that upset I’d be back to the bottom of the totem pole for seniority? And when you say reapply would it be a direct hire reapply or through a open bid?
Direct Hire or reinstatement after CPC. Open bid has strict language about doing everything all over again and following through the process. I do understand your sentiments about a black hole facility, it’s why I went DOD.

Direct Hire or reinstatement after CPC. Open bid has strict language about doing everything all over again and following through the process. I do understand your sentiments about a black hole facility, it’s why I went DOD.
To be fair this is a last ditch option and I’m far away from it right now but maybe in next couple years if I continue to be stuck…I mean 7yrs in the agency glued to first facility is pretty awful

I’m not saying not to do it, in the age of NCEPT you have to do whatever you can to move. Depending on where you go they might not hate you either, as you said you would go down to the bottom of seniority and people are losing passion for the union so the whole hate the former sups thing might be largely over with.

Back
Top Bottom