CTI thinking CTO

DeltaFox94

Lurker
FAA
Facility
CLE Cleveland Tower
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some thoughts on an idea I have on this hiring process. I am a CTI graduate from Kent State and I applied last year when we still had to do the BQ and didn't make it through. This year I applied and so far so good with having a green check mark and the referral box with the "No referral list has been created for announcement.." I was just curious to know what I could do to maybe get into ATC a different way. I know there is the military but that would be my last option because the VA's are going through the same thing the CTI's are right now in terms of selection.

So my question is, if in the chance that this bid doesn't work out, would it be worth spending the money at a small community college tower, like Beaver, and getting my CTO; then if there isn't a position open, going to a tower that maybe Advanced ATC owns to get my 52 weeks?

I know that AATC allow their grads to control in their 3 towers that they have if there are positions open, but i didn't know if they would allow someone with a CTO from outside of their program to work with them.

Just curious. Thanks!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some thoughts on an idea I have on this hiring process. I am a CTI graduate from Kent State and I applied last year when we still had to do the BQ and didn't make it through. This year I applied and so far so good with having a green check mark and the referral box with the "No referral list has been created for announcement.." I was just curious to know what I could do to maybe get into ATC a different way. I know there is the military but that would be my last option because the VA's are going through the same thing the CTI's are right now in terms of selection.

So my question is, if in the chance that this bid doesn't work out, would it be worth spending the money at a small community college tower, like Beaver, and getting my CTO; then if there isn't a position open, going to a tower that maybe Advanced ATC owns to get my 52 weeks?

I know that AATC allow their grads to control in their 3 towers that they have if there are positions open, but i didn't know if they would allow someone with a CTO from outside of their program to work with them.

Just curious. Thanks!

Hey fellow Ohioan, and unfortunate Kent State grad (Akron alum here). I think you were the one that posted on SM with a similar question. On this current bid veteran's had to undergo the BA because it was not a true prior experience announcement. So to say that we had the same issues as CTI isn't an accurate assessment. Personally, I had to fall into pool 2 because I have more than 120 days out from separation. Luckily I still have a green check mark too. On the true prior experience bid, there is no need to take the BA and, based on previous bids, you can go directly to the facility to bypass the academy.

With that being said, it would be a risk for you to enlist for 6 years in the Air Force and assume they will be hiring like they are now. There are some pros to enlisting, such as getting paid to earn a certification, gaining experience, and the potential to transition into other avenues of controlling such as contract and DoD jobs. I can't personally speak to any of the CTO programs, but I'm not a huge believer in paying $50k, in the case of AATC, to have a slim chance of ever getting a job. A retired military, and current DoD civilian, controller where I work was an instructor at AATC for a while before going DoD. He said that it was a decent program and he liked his coworkers, but couldn't fathom paying that much money for a small chance of getting hired by the FAA or other company. He said a lot of the guys would come out of there with a huge debt burden with a part-time controlling gig to show for it.

Just my $.02.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Just curious. Thanks!

Well, to answer the first part about the military. The only reason vets are in the same pool as CTI applicants is bc a) they don't have 52 weeks atc experience post certification or b) they do have the experience and don't want to wait on an experienced bid/trying to get in by any means possible.

I don't know how Beaver works, but I do believe a guy by the name of "DontCallMeShirley" on stuckmic (might be on here too, idk) went there and would be your best bet to talk to. Pretty sure he's applying to the OTS bid as well, so if he actually went there, might not be the best option. Again, find him and send him a message to find out for sure though.

AATC does hire outside of their graduates, but I do know for a fact that the owner is transitioning to a new way of operating things, so those openings might be few and far between for non-graduates in the not so distant future. I also know that RVA (federal contractor) has been wanting the tower I'm at and the airport has new management that is really pushing for it, so that could limit your options even more. Although AATC is always looking for new opportunities and have a couple locations they're currently looking at to put a tower or take over the current contract.

Last edited:
Well, to answer the first part about the military. The only reason vets are in the same pool as CTI applicants is bc a) they don't have 52 weeks atc experience post certification or b) they do have the experience and don't want to wait on an experienced bid/trying to get in by any means possible.

I don't know how Beaver works, but I do believe a guy by the name of "DontCallMeShirley" on stuckmic (might be on here too, idk) went there and would be your best bet to talk to. Pretty sure he's applying to the OTS bid as well, so if he actually went there, might not be the best option. Again, find him and send him a message to find out for sure though.

AATC does hire outside of their graduates, but I do know for a fact that the owner is transitioning to a new way of operating things, so those openings might be few and far between for non-graduates in the not so distant future. I also know that RVA (federal contractor) has been wanting the tower I'm at and the airport has new management that is really pushing for it, so that could limit your options even more. Although AATC is always looking for new opportunities and have a couple locations they're currently looking at to put a tower or take over the current contract.

I know they have 3 and there are 2 in TX and the one in Georgia. Where else are they looking?

Personally, I had to fall into pool 2 because I have more than 120 days out from separation. Luckily I still have a green check mark too.

Whoops. I think I misread that part then. I went with the literal definition of a veteran (over 180 days) and applied in pool 1. I wasn't expecting much from this bid anyways. Just trying to get a foot in the door before I separate next year.

Whoops. I think I misread that part then. I went with the literal definition of a veteran (over 180 days) and applied in pool 1. I wasn't expecting much from this bid anyways. Just trying to get a foot in the door before I separate next year.

After reading through various posts, the announcement, and legal definitions to qualify I decided to call. The lady I spoke with had no idea and put me on hold to figure it out. Luckily I was able to go in before the bid closed and update my resume and take the BA. Did you get the red x? I have 11 months left before I start terminal, so I know where you're coming from.

Hey, this is the same DontCallMeShirley on StuckMic. I got a CTO at a 2-year school in New York, but they don't allow for 52-weeks post certification experience for students. Beaver County's program was pretty similar to ours in that regard. My CTO got me a great paying job connected to ATC, but not as a controller.

I've applied Pool 2, qualifying based on education and experience, with the CTO as a supplementary qualification. I failed the Bio-Q in 2014 and 2015, and (seemingly) passed this year. School was worth it for me for my current job alone, but of course without the 52 weeks experience, the CTO doesn't help with contract towers or FAA prior experience.

After reading through various posts, the announcement, and legal definitions to qualify I decided to call. The lady I spoke with had no idea and put me on hold to figure it out. Luckily I was able to go in before the bid closed and update my resume and take the BA. Did you get the red x? I have 11 months left before I start terminal, so I know where you're coming from.
No. Mine is still a green check with the no referral lists have been made, however since it's pool 1 I don't think they have reviewed the resume's/supporting documents yet. I attached a statement of service memo I made up, basically stating I would be getting out next year. I'm in the same boat, 11 long months to go.

No. Mine is still a green check with the no referral lists have been made, however since it's pool 1 I don't think they have reviewed the resume's/supporting documents yet. I attached a statement of service memo I made up, basically stating I would be getting out next year. I'm in the same boat, 11 long months to go.

Got ya. Hopefully it works out for you and they don't give you shit. I originally read it as though I could apply so long as I was able to start the academy within 15 months of the announcement closing and fall under pool 1. Good luck regardless. Don't forget the prior experience bid comes out soon.

Back
Top Bottom