ERR while CPC-IT?

likeaBOSS

I’m a CPC-IT who is now in the NEST. I have 2 low-level CTO’s and received no facilities in my region. I’m desperate to stay for family reasons, but am terrified my hardship won’t be approved. Management and NATCA tried to get me the local Level 6 on the NEST list but couldn’t. If I am forced to move, do I even have to certify at my new facility? Can’t I just ERR as a CPC to that level 6?

FYI: I am not trying to scam the system, I asked for an entry level position as proof that all I want is to stay in the area and am not Hardshipping into a promotion. Even though the Hardship is legit, I’m afraid the FAA won’t see it that way because they’ve been so strict lately...

A few points of order brother:

1. On a personal note, I would try for the Hardship. Yes the Agency has been extremely strict about it recently but if it is "bona fide" they will grant it. This can be found in Article 99 of the Slate book which you can find under .65 Resources at the top of the page next to the FAQ.
  2. If you are forced to move, you need to certify at that facility in order to keep you job. Breakaway can chime in here, but I think what you are asking is that while you are in the NEST process can you file an ERR? I do not think so, but again Breakaway can chime in
  3. If you haven't certified at your new facility, which would be subject to the NCEPT, the likelihood of you being able to ERR, much less get decent training if people know you wish to depart ASAP is not very likely.
  4. There is nothing to fear for filing for a Hardship, You have to do what is best for your personal needs. This is the reason it exists. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE by trying for it.

A friend of mine was in a similar situation at a very difficult location to certify at. He was told to hardship to the area he was already in at the first signs of training not going very well for the exact scenario that OP is talking about. The hardship will get swatted down immediately but at least now you've shown that you're desperate to stay in the area and he was offered a lower level tower nearby.

So I’m being told that I can’t Hardship to stay, they’ll only approve it once I leave, then I can come back. They say my hardship is strong and will likely be approved, but moving facilities first is the only way. Because of the constraints of the contract, the Hardship would be required to be approved in 4-6 weeks. I’d get 8 days of change of station leave on either side. So the FAA is going to pay for TWO COS’s for me in 2 months?? Because they forced me to move instead of approving my hardship to stay??
Thanks for the free vacations, Assholes.

If you are forced to move, you need to certify at that facility in order to keep you job.
The contract says you “may” be retained if you fail to certify at two facilities in a row, not that you shall be terminated. Indeed, last time I looked at the number of CPC-ITs not retained on KSN, from memory, the number was barely 15. Ive heard of anecdotal stories of people being retained with multiple training failures, but it seems pretty rare for a CPC to be terminated. That being said, it’s definitely more risky than certifying at your NEST placement facility and starting new on a “clean slate.”

If you haven't certified at your new facility, which would be subject to the NCEPT, the likelihood of you being able to ERR, much less get decent training if people know you wish to depart ASAP is not very likely.

It would just fall under the NCEPT. The rules state something like “facility certified controllers shall be given preference over all other applicants,” so you would just have to get lucky and have all of the other people applying for facilities not get selected.

So where does the Hardship fall in all of this? I go to my new place, immediately Hardship, get approved within 6 weeks, then go back to what I asked for in the first place. I wouldn’t need to certify at my NEST placement with an approved Hardship. Is this really how the FAA wants to play this?

I'm pretty sure if a facility you're wanting to hardship to is projected over 100% staffing, it's not eligible to take a hardship transfer. I don't know which facility you want, but take a look at the staffing level and see if it's actually a valid hardship location.

I feel like you're counting the chickens before they hatch. I would plan as if it won't be approved. The agency doesn't care about you as a person. You're a number on a spreadsheet. Do what you can and pursue all paths to get what you want, but trying to rationalize what the agency will/may/should do isn't going to be helpful.

So I’m being told that I can’t Hardship to stay, they’ll only approve it once I leave, then I can come back. They say my hardship is strong and will likely be approved, but moving facilities first is the only way. Because of the constraints of the contract, the Hardship would be required to be approved in 4-6 weeks. I’d get 8 days of change of station leave on either side. So the FAA is going to pay for TWO COS’s for me in 2 months?? Because they forced me to move instead of approving my hardship to stay??
Thanks for the free vacations, Assholes.

How far apart are the facilities? Like NY to CA apart?

Back
Top Bottom