Exp hire after academy washout

The Army, Navy and Marines all have ATC. I would go Army if I were you because they will LITERALLY TAKE ANYONE. You could be Hellen freaking Keller and you'd be controlling traffic.

its not easy to get FAA recognized certs in the Army. Most of their towers are run by DoD civilians and only train 1 or 2 soldiers a year. Most Army ATC is tactical stuff that doesn’t count for the FAA. My one buddy spent more time in the motor pool than any tower.

its not easy to get FAA recognized certs in the Army. Most of their towers are run by DoD civilians and only train 1 or 2 soldiers a year. Most Army ATC is tactical stuff that doesn’t count for the FAA. My one buddy spent more time in the motor pool than any tower.

I'm not doubting this as Army fuckery is always in excess, but that seems intense.

Either way, if he has no shot, why not join the branch that will take anyone and maybe luck out? :p

I'm not doubting this as Army fuckery is always in excess, but that seems intense.

Either way, if he has no shot, why not join the branch that will take anyone and maybe luck out? :p
Most army controllers that get CTOs get them thru the stage fields and are mostly helicopter traffic from what an army coworker has told me.

OP, which unit are you going to?

I don’t understand this mentality of disqualifying yourself before even applying. Apply, it’s at no cost to you other than time off. Seems like a small price to pay for the opportunity at an amazing career. ?‍♂️

Let them tell you, don’t tell yourself they might say no. Ask, hope for the best but plan for the worst. Don’t put your life on hold but if you’re serious about this, apply. See what happens. Ride it out!
Thanks for the boost in confidence Denver, I appreciate it.
I currently have a good paying job within a small company that I'll never advance in and I don't enjoy my work. I almost joined as an ATC when I was 19 and now that the opportunity has came again I can't stop thinking about it.

I'm nervous because I have a wife and son so it makes my decisions much more stressful than it should, but at this point... I think I'm going to go for it.

Thanks for the boost in confidence Denver, I appreciate it.
I currently have a good paying job within a small company that I'll never advance in and I don't enjoy my work. I almost joined as an ATC when I was 19 and now that the opportunity has came again I can't stop thinking about it.

I'm nervous because I have a wife and son so it makes my decisions much more stressful than it should, but at this point... I think I'm going to go for it.

Sounds exactly like my situation. But, I have two girls instead. I’m glad you’re gonna go for it. You never know what could happen, I went for it and now I’m in training at a level 12 center, as the saying goes, “you never know until you try”

Most army controllers that get CTOs get them thru the stage fields and are mostly helicopter traffic from what an army coworker has told me.

OP, which unit are you going to?

That sounds accurate. The closest I've been was turning down a rotary flight seat once I got my TOL. Though I'm sure on major FOBs like Bagram you'd have cargo carriers and such. If I'm not mistaken a lot of those are AF controlled though.

Hi y’all,
I failed the academy in 2018 and then went on to school and now have a CTO and work at a federal contract tower. I am planning on applying to the next prior experience bid coming out, and wondering two things...

1. if anyone on here has ever gone that route and we’re actually picked up and are employed by the faa after failing the academy.

2. Do I need an SF-50, or are you not considered a federal employee until after you leave the academy and go to your first facility? If I do need an SF-50, does anyone know how to get one? I know are usually on the EOPF website, but I no longer have a login since I am not a federal employee.

Eventually they moved to correct this by swinging the other way and always denying 100% of the time the applications of people who were previous academy failures, even people in your case where in all logic and rational they should be given a chance to be hired. The FAA sucks like that.
Have you heard of academy washouts getting another TOL? I know someone who just recently did. Just wanted to see if this was unheard of before.

One of my en route academy classmates washed out and got picked back up for terminal and is now a CPC at a tower
washed out of the academy?

So they got TOL's but not FOL, am I reading this correct? He spoke with his HR person and mentioned this to them and was told he was fine and could accept it.

"Prior failure of FAA Academy training or prior declination of permanent facility placement offer after completing Academy training may constitute a basis for non-selection and/or veterans' preference pass over."

I suppose it does say "may." Hope it works out for your friend and they make it back to the Academy.

Does anyone know of someone who has failed at the academy, reapplied and received a TOL, then went on to receive an FOL and go back to the academy?

Does anyone know of someone who has failed at the academy, reapplied and received a TOL, then went on to receive an FOL and go back to the academy?
Back in the “PUBNAT” eras of hiring in 07-11’ it happen several times because the FAA hiring was so stupid there was no record or steps to prevent that. FAA hiring still sucks but I think they might have at least corrected that part as I haven’t heard it happening lately.

I know of someone who had a military CTO fail the center academy class. Then work contract for a while. They then got rehired via direct facility hire to a low level VFR FAA tower.

Back
Top Bottom