Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

Weird, the HR person that called me said that dual-employment wasn't allowed. I didn't ask about a part-time job though because I'm not planning on going back to my previous employer anyways.
My rep said the exact same thing that I am not allowed dual employment and that I have to terminate my current employment at least one day prior to my virtual onboarding.

Would it take an act of Congress to increase the Academy wage, since per diem is not being offered due to academy closure? They have to know, that wage is not really livable in many areas, especially during this time

Would it take an act of Congress to increase the Academy wage, since per diem is not being offered due to academy closure? They have to know, that wage is not really livable in many areas, especially during this time
If it wouldn’t take an act of Congress, they would’ve offered it. Unfortunately this has to be another sacrifice that we make for a chance at the job. And I think that’s something we should be thinking about really hard. It’s one thing when it’s 3-4 months at the academy, but this is an indefinite wait without other full time employment while we watch infection numbers go up and air travel go down. I wouldn’t blame anyone for backing out at this point.

If it wouldn’t take an act of Congress, they would’ve offered it. Unfortunately this has to be another sacrifice that we make for a chance at the job. And I think that’s something we should be thinking about really hard. It’s one thing when it’s 3-4 months at the academy, but this is an indefinite wait without other full time employment while we watch infection numbers go up and air travel go down. I wouldn’t blame anyone for backing out at this point.
Just be careful not to get caught up in all the hysteria. The Tower and Enroute classroom (non-lab) portions are starting online this week or next so you will slide right into those after basics. Then it's down to OKC for sims whenever it reopens which will be likely within a 2-3 month window from now. If you haven't started Basics yet theres not much waiting time on academy pay possible in that schedule. Air travel will bounce back and most facs (supposedly) aren't going to be hammered with downgrades based on data for the next 4-6 months+. YMMV applies to everyone but these are small sacrifices in the long term. Oh, and if anyone's waiting for a Basics class at OKC, forget it. It ain't ever happening. Also, when calculating your pay during academy, per diem is going to be a small piece of the pie now, only applying to the several weeks spent in OKC for labs. (Kinda the point of all this for the beancounters). Starting now means guaranteed salary (even if it's academy pay), benefits, and you start the clock on your federal service time. My .02

Just be careful not to get caught up in all the hysteria. The Tower and Enroute classroom (non-lab) portions are starting online this week or next so you will slide right into those after basics.

Source? Never heard of this.

Makes sense that they would try to shove all the book learning to online though.

This is insane if true. Imagine rolling into non radar lab day one with self study. ?

This is my reality. Instructor said that classroom instruction that would be taken care of across the street is going to be held on Zoom. We're going in cold to go labs.

This is my reality. Instructor said that classroom instruction that would be taken care of across the street is going to be held on Zoom. We're going in cold to go labs.
Holy crap. What about the gap between instruction and lab? Maybe you’ll be pas pas if your in the first batch

Holy crap. What about the gap between instruction and lab? Maybe you’ll be pas pas if your in the first batch

Who knows. You got enough trainees who are closer to CPC than we will be for a long time, and traffic is going to be down for a while too. Maybe they're using the opportunity to try this new (and cost friendly) approach. If we fail, it won't be a burden on the system.

The thing about the labs is true, my view is a pessimistic fantasy. I just wish we knew what was going to happen...sit for months making $10/hr and not be allowed to work a second job, outright dismissal...I don't know man.

Who knows. You got enough trainees who are closer to CPC than we will be for a long time, and traffic is going to be down for a while too. Maybe they're using the opportunity to try this new (and cost friendly) approach. If we fail, it won't be a burden on the system.

The thing about the labs is true, my view is a pessimistic fantasy. I just wish we knew what was going to happen...sit for months making $10/hr and not be allowed to work a second job, outright dismissal...I don't know man.
Seems like they're making the process as hard as they can to wean out the worst performers, since there's not going to be much air traffic in the future they're not in a rush to push people through training and instead are focusing on filtering for the best

Is that what Academy pay is $10/hr? Thats even less than my current $13/hr and even thats nothing.

Just be careful not to get caught up in all the hysteria. The Tower and Enroute classroom (non-lab) portions are starting online this week or next so you will slide right into those after basics. Then it's down to OKC for sims whenever it reopens which will be likely within a 2-3 month window from now. If you haven't started Basics yet theres not much waiting time on academy pay possible in that schedule. Air travel will bounce back and most facs (supposedly) aren't going to be hammered with downgrades based on data for the next 4-6 months+. YMMV applies to everyone but these are small sacrifices in the long term. Oh, and if anyone's waiting for a Basics class at OKC, forget it. It ain't ever happening. Also, when calculating your pay during academy, per diem is going to be a small piece of the pie now, only applying to the several weeks spent in OKC for labs. (Kinda the point of all this for the beancounters). Starting now means guaranteed salary (even if it's academy pay), benefits, and you start the clock on your federal service time. My .02
I wouldn’t say that what I’m saying is hysteria. I just think everyone needs to realize that taking this job under normal circumstances includes lots of uncertainty, and now there’s more of that to go around. I’d also like to see your source on 2-3 month window for OKC. It’s nice to think all the pandemic stuff is under control, but I’ve got doubts.

I wouldn’t say that what I’m saying is hysteria. I just think everyone needs to realize that taking this job under normal circumstances includes lots of uncertainty, and now there’s more of that to go around. I’d also like to see your source on 2-3 month window for OKC. It’s nice to think all the pandemic stuff is under control, but I’ve got doubts.
I agree. I don't really think what you're saying is hysteria, but it is important to parse out what seems likely and what doesn't with the info were given. My 2-3 month estimation is purely that, my own educated guess, based on the way things are going right now and that the need to train ATCs is going to become an urgent situation soon. Remember it's not just us there, its also crossover training, advancement radar training, CAMI, airman certification etc is all on site so it can't stay closed forever. Also that facility is a big cash cow for the state so governor Stitt may likely be considering that also.

Back
Top Bottom