Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

"I am affected by this virus and I can still joke or take a joke. I’m sure you’re strong willed enough to ignore a joke if you don’t like it. " -ShortGuy

Where's ONE bringing the HEAT??!!

snark me harder daddy
Clearly I was just so shook up by the snark that I even thanked the person!

That is exactly what all three comments said, yes. Good job on the reading comprehension. You get a gold star for today.

You can also ERR from a center but I believe ERRs from centers have been few and far between since NCEPT was instituted.
We’ve had at least 5 people go from center to big tracon.

Got a call today and was offered online June 23 Terminal. Took just over a year to go from initial application to starting basics.

Just to reaffirm what some others have been saying: I asked about Oklahoma re-opening and they said its still undetermined and that online boarding would likely continue even when it re-opened. So it's either start online boarding now, or wait X amount of weeks/months to start online boarding later. The difference being a (paid) gap between basics and lab training. I also asked about working while doing basics, and they said you could work part time on weekends and weekday evenings.

Someone mentioned that the pay comes out to around $12/hour without per diem. Living in CA, that is below our minimum wage... Just got a promotion at work and it's going to be kind of hard to take an over 50% reduction in pay and make ends meet. Especially given there is no specified timeline. Trying to decide whether or not I should wait for Oklahoma to reopen.

Got a call today and was offered online June 23 Terminal. Took just over a year to go from initial application to starting basics.

Just to reaffirm what some others have been saying: I asked about Oklahoma re-opening and they said its still undetermined and that online boarding would likely continue even when it re-opened. So it's either start online boarding now, or wait X amount of weeks/months to start online boarding later. The difference being a (paid) gap between basics and lab training. I also asked about working while doing basics, and they said you could work part time on weekends and weekday evenings.

Someone mentioned that the pay comes out to around $12/hour without per diem. Living in CA, that is below our minimum wage... Just got a promotion at work and it's going to be kind of hard to take an over 50% reduction in pay and make ends meet. Especially given there is no specified timeline. Trying to decide whether or not I should wait for Oklahoma to reopen.
I’d wait in your circumstance

Yeah, that is a difficult situation. Sorry to hear that. We would have been in the same Terminal Class.

Luckily for me, it was easy. Living in Memphis, TN, $12/hr is still good money. So it was either, make $12/hr working at an FBO sweating my ass off during the summer heat or make $12/hr sitting on my ass in the air condition.

This shit ain't getting any easier though.

Props living in CA on $24/hr though. I was offered a job at GE in Irvine that paid $109K and I told them to kick rocks. Good luck homes, move if you can. You can make $24/hr anywhere. The $300/wk will last a long time in cheaper states. TN, OK and NC come to mind, I've lived in all three. You can rent a full house and yard for under $1000/mo.

Props living in CA on $24/hr though. I was offered a job at GE in Irvine that paid $109K and I told them to kick rocks. Good luck homes, move if you can. You can make $24/hr anywhere. The $300/wk will last a long time in cheaper states. TN, OK and NC come to mind, I've lived in all three. You can rent a full house and yard for under $1000/mo.
You can also come down to GA. Normally it's hot already, but we were in the 30s the past few mornings ?

You can also come down to GA. Normally it's hot already, but we were in the 30s the past few mornings ?
You know you don't HAVE to live in Irvine as well right? People commute from Long Beach to Irvine and pay like 700 a month in rent while living near the ocean. The name of the game in living in SoCal is commuting, unless you're rich.

Taxes are a different game though and will destroy you.

Source: My sister who moved to SoCal

You know you don't HAVE to live in Irvine as well right? People commute from Long Beach to Irvine and pay like 700 a month in rent while living near the ocean. The name of the game in living in SoCal is commuting, unless you're rich.

Taxes are a different game though and will destroy you.

Source: My sister who moved to SoCal
I grew up in Southern California spitting distance from Irvine.
For 700 a month you are not living any closer to the beach in Long Beach than you would in Irvine unless you found a particularly good deal.
You are correct in that most people in Southern California commute but commuting from Long Beach to anywhere in Orange County is a terrible idea. My dad does this commute and it is often about a 3 hour round trip commute. Better to just spend the money on local housing.

Is the pay without per diem really about 12 an hour? I was debating whether to take the online class as well, but I thought the pay was worse than 12 an hour. I think I can make it work at 12 an hour. Also what happens after you’re done with basics? Is there a waiting period where you’re not getting paid?

Y
Is the pay without per diem really about 12 an hour? I was debating whether to take the online class as well, but I thought the pay was worse than 12 an hour. I think I can make it work at 12 an hour. Also what happens after you’re done with basics? Is there a waiting period where you’re not getting paid?
Its like $12.24. You keep getting paid until the in person part opens back up.

I grew up in Southern California spitting distance from Irvine.
For 700 a month you are not living any closer to the beach in Long Beach than you would in Irvine unless you found a particularly good deal.
You are correct in that most people in Southern California commute but commuting from Long Beach to anywhere in Orange County is a terrible idea. My dad does this commute and it is often about a 3 hour round trip commute. Better to just spend the money on local housing.
My sister literally lives in an apartment 20 minutes walk from the beach... guess she found a good deal. And yes commute is terrible pretty much everywhere. It's the price everyone pays unless they're rich. (well they pay too)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does an ATC make enough money in SoCal to live comfortably? I’ve always loved it over there. Great burritos.
If Tower/TRACON yes. If En route, the nearest facility to LA is an hour away in a military town in the desert. (It's not nice there lol)

and LA is not really what people would consider "SoCal" anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Tower/TRACON yes. If En route, the nearest facility to LA is an hour away in a military town in the desert. (It's not nice there lol)

and LA is not really what people would consider "SoCal" anyway.
Good to know! Bummer about the LA location. Is the Oakland location pretty bad too?

Back
Top Bottom