Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

What if I take Annual Leave with my current job during online Basics? Anyone tried that or knows if it's allowed?
Won't work, you're CONSTANTLY told that you MUST quit your job if you're working full-time. You can work part time outside of normal class hours. If you can request to your employer that you get billed "hours worked" and work at night or something similar that would be a good fix to your solution.

Just be careful not to get caught up in all the hysteria. The Tower and Enroute classroom (non-lab) portions are starting online this week or next so you will slide right into those after basics.
I was a month into the Enroute classroom back at the Academy. We are currently reviewing the slides and knowledge stuff over Zoom. Our instructor has mentioned that this is just to keep us working and familiar with the material as a supplement to the in person teaching. He believes that they are going to send all classes back similar to how they did it after the last shutdown and new classes would start from the beginning.

Seems like they're making the process as hard as they can to wean out the worst performers, since there's not going to be much air traffic in the future they're not in a rush to push people through training and instead are focusing on filtering for the best

Or filtering for those who can best take an administrative beating. If you stuck around for this, you're the kind of person we want around for the next shutdown lol

I was a month into the Enroute classroom back at the Academy. We are currently reviewing the slides and knowledge stuff over Zoom. Our instructor has mentioned that this is just to keep us working and familiar with the material as a supplement to the in person teaching. He believes that they are going to send all classes back similar to how they did it after the last shutdown and new classes would start from the beginning.
How was your enroute class going before the shut down? Difficult? Interesting? I’m dying to know because I always picture myself doing terminal for some reason.

How was your enroute class going before the shut down? Difficult? Interesting? I’m dying to know because I always picture myself doing terminal for some reason.
It’s like a lot of PowerPoints till you get to know then it’s fun. Unless you suck then it sucks. Youll
Learn to ignore having an old guy sitting behind you writing everything you do down.

Difficult question to answer because it is all relative. I was just getting ready to eval in nonradar. I am not a CTI. The first 2-3 weeks of nonradar are a lot. It is not hard because what you’re learning is hard but rather because the amount of info you have to become proficient in is quite a bit. During this time you have two paper tests (the map and a multiple choice test) which force your pace in learning the basics. Then you start practice problems. I can’t remember the last time I was so bad at something. My first unassisted problem I literally got a 0/100. As I practiced more by the end I was approaching 90/100 really only making minor errors.
I think it is fair to say Terminal is easier than Enroute at the Academy. Enroute is 1 month longer. The Enroute map is more complicated. I could go on but this is not to say that either is better than the other as some people might pass Enroute and fail Terminal and vice versa and it doesn’t really matter. I would recommend everyone to go Enroute as it keeps your options open in the future. I believe it is much easier to transfer to Terminal later in your career if you get checked off at a facility.
If anyone wants advice I would say come to the Academy confident that you can do it but humble. Doesn’t matter how smart you are or how smart you think you are. I like to think I am not an asshole but I am going to risk coming off as an asshole by saying I went to one of the best universities in the world and previously worked as a software engineer for arguably the biggest tech company in the world and it means nothing at the academy. You are not too good to practice everyday as much as possible. Don’t settle with a 90% on the paper tests. Just do your best at everything and at the very least you can walk away knowing you left everything in OKC.

So you have to go to a terminal facility out of the academy and from there you can move up to TRACON?

That is exactly what all three comments said, yes. Good job on the reading comprehension. You get a gold star for today.

You can also ERR from a center but I believe ERRs from centers have been few and far between since NCEPT was instituted.

That is exactly what all three comments said, yes. Good job on the reading comprehension. You get a gold star for today.

You can also ERR from a center but I believe ERRs from centers have been few and far between since NCEPT was instituted.
No need to be snarky. Just making sure I grasp as much knowledge as I can on my future career since I’m off the street. But thank you for your help anyways. No matter the delivery I still appreciate it!

If snarky comments bother you, just wait till you hit a control room floor for the first time.
Or just go to a Wendy’s. I know the FAA is special and all, but it’s not as if no one here has experienced anything until we get the privilege of joining you in government service.

Or just go to a Wendy’s. I know the FAA is special and all, but it’s not as if no one here has experienced anything until we get the privilege of joining you in government service.
Working on a control room floor, particularly as a trainee, is a pretty unique experience. Guarantee you it’s not like working at Wendy’s. If/when you get there, you’ll get it.

Working on a control room floor, particularly as a trainee, is a pretty unique experience. Guarantee you it’s not like working at Wendy’s. If/when you get there, you’ll get it.
Not that it’s important, but for the sake of my own ego, I don’t work at Wendy’s, not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Everyone’s working situation is unique; I was just snarking on your snark. ??‍♀️

No need to be snarky. Just making sure I grasp as much knowledge as I can on my future career since I’m off the street. But thank you for your help anyways. No matter the delivery I still appreciate it!
"I am affected by this virus and I can still joke or take a joke. I’m sure you’re strong willed enough to ignore a joke if you don’t like it. " -ShortGuy

Where's ONE bringing the HEAT??!!

Not that it’s important, but for the sake of my own ego, I don’t work at Wendy’s, not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Everyone’s working situation is unique; I was just snarking on your snark. ??‍♀️
snark me harder daddy

Back
Top Bottom