Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

Tried reaching out to my HR rep a couple times over the last few weeks to ask if background checks are still being processed as it's been just shy of two months since I got my medical clearance and haven't heard anything further; haven't spoken to my HR rep since probably January or earlier, can't get through on the phone or via email now.

Decided to reach out to Aviation Careers and all the information they could give me was that my profile stated "Awaiting Class Date" but couldn't give me any information regarding my background check status.

Finally decided to contact my Security POC directly who returned my voicemail in less than 5 minutes; she let me know that they're still processing background checks and that my investigation had already come back clear.

Tried my HR rep and Aviation Careers again today, HR rep is still not answering the phone and all Aviation Careers can provide me is to suggest sending another email. I understand that they fill classes as they come available and that the expectation is that they'll let me know as soon as they have something but it's disconcerting to not be able to get through at all (starting to feel like this is an intentional introduction to the inner workings of the federal government).

Anyone else have HR rep TH and hit a brick wall?

That's weird. I have TH and she has always replied pretty quickly to my emails. But if it says "Awaiting Class Date," then I'm guessing just wait now. Guessing they're still trying to see if August is going to be online, I'm guessing it will be.

Tried reaching out to my HR rep a couple times over the last few weeks to ask if background checks are still being processed as it's been just shy of two months since I got my medical clearance and haven't heard anything further; haven't spoken to my HR rep since probably January or earlier, can't get through on the phone or via email now.

Decided to reach out to Aviation Careers and all the information they could give me was that my profile stated "Awaiting Class Date" but couldn't give me any information regarding my background check status.

Finally decided to contact my Security POC directly who returned my voicemail in less than 5 minutes; she let me know that they're still processing background checks and that my investigation had already come back clear.

Tried my HR rep and Aviation Careers again today, HR rep is still not answering the phone and all Aviation Careers can provide me is to suggest sending another email. I understand that they fill classes as they come available and that the expectation is that they'll let me know as soon as they have something but it's disconcerting to not be able to get through at all (starting to feel like this is an intentional introduction to the inner workings of the federal government).

I never got an email response from TH. Ever. I had to call the office personally to get in contact with my rep. Don't expect an email because there is like a 10 percent chance TH responds. I was told they do read these emails, but be careful. I had to have a date pushed back and I sent emails and called and they agreed to my request but forgot and I had to email and call again when I got paperwork for the wrong date. Because of this I probably got into a class date a month later than I could of, though I don't really mind. They are really nice I think they just have so much crap to deal with.

I don't think I bothered that much either, only 3 times in 6 months.

From what I gathered from my HR rep last week, they're still all working from home and I doubt they're given phones to use.

Does anything happen in between that time? Wondering if I’m able to work during that time.
Not really, I'm just waiting on the iPad and for the class to start. I was told that I cannot be dual employed so I'm really not sure if you can still work during the waiting period since you'll officially be a federal employee and getting paid. I would ask your HR rep if/when they offer you virtual onboarding if they haven't already.

Not really, I'm just waiting on the iPad and for the class to start. I was told that I cannot be dual employed so I'm really not sure if you can still work during the waiting period since you'll officially be a federal employee and getting paid. I would ask your HR rep if/when they offer you virtual onboarding if they haven't already.
You can have another job just so long as it doesn’t interfere with your duty time, which for Academy people is typically M-F, 0700-1530. You can work at night or on weekends. Just make sure your side gig couldn’t create a conflict of interest. i.e. don’t work for an airline or Amazon or Fedex or something similar.

You can have another job just so long as it doesn’t interfere with your duty time, which for Academy people is typically M-F, 0700-1530. You can work at night or on weekends. Just make sure your side gig couldn’t create a conflict of interest. i.e. don’t work for an airline or Amazon or Fedex or something similar.
See this is where we keep going in circles because some people's HR reps said that, and some said we can't be dual employed at all. Ultimately I think each person should take the word of their own HR rep. Mine said I cannot be dual employed at all, and I even asked about part time and she said no. So therefore I can't be dual employed because if I got caught they can say "well your HR rep said you can't, it doesn't matter what others told you, you were officially told no"

See this is where we keep going in circles because some people's HR reps said that, and some said we can't be dual employed at all. Ultimately I think each person should take the word of their own HR rep. Mine said I cannot be dual employed at all, and I even asked about part time and she said no. So therefore I can't be dual employed because if I got caught they can say "well your HR rep said you can't, it doesn't matter what others told you, you were officially told no"
The Academy HR reps really never know anything. They give inaccurate info and contradict each other constantly. It really boils down to the fact that the FAA is paying you for 40 hours of “work” per week, even if you’re sitting at home. They don’t have any control over what you do with the rest of your time. Plus, nobody signs any kind of agreement that you are not allowed to have side jobs. As long as you’re not captaining a Delta A320 on your spare time, it’s not an issue. Trust me, if anybody wants to Uber or something on the weekends nobody is going to care.

Another sure-fire tactic if you’re not sure what to believe, when an HR rep tells you you’re not allowed to have any side gig whatsoever, ask them to see that in writing. With the Govt., if it’s not written down anywhere, it doesn’t exist. I guarantee you there’s no policy like that in writing anywhere.

For those of you that are currently doing the virtual class... can you tell us what your day is like? I'm starting online onboarding for terminal on July 9th. Will it be 8hrs of a zoom meeting every day? Or self study? How long after onboarding does basics start? Does it matter where I am as long as it is a quiet spot with wifi? I live in PA but I've been spending the last few months back and forth between here and my shore house in NJ.

For those of you that are currently doing the virtual class... can you tell us what your day is like? I'm starting online onboarding for terminal on July 9th. Will it be 8hrs of a zoom meeting every day? Or self study? How long after onboarding does basics start? Does it matter where I am as long as it is a quiet spot with wifi? I live in PA but I've been spending the last few months back and forth between here and my shore house in NJ.
8 hours of zoom pretty much. you can turn off camera only when you’re going through a module on your own. throw in a couple breaks and a lunch. 10-6:30 central time. Instructors don’t care that you’re not in the same room everyday, as long as you have wifi and can concentrate because it’s a lot of information.

Back
Top Bottom