Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

Best of luck to those returning to the academy today, please tell us what it's like!
Took a couple of days, but everything is going smoothly now! Some RPOs are being called in that haven't worked for 6 months or more, and some contact instructors too, so everyone was a little shaky at first. The problem now is that we will have 3 terminal classes on the 16th and 4 on the 24th and a lot of contractors are turning down the chance to come back, so some instructors are working doubles (0700-0000) so that's fun for them.

Took a couple of days, but everything is going smoothly now! Some RPOs are being called in that haven't worked for 6 months or more, and some contact instructors too, so everyone was a little shaky at first. The problem now is that we will have 3 terminal classes on the 16th and 4 on the 24th and a lot of contractors are turning down the chance to come back, so some instructors are working doubles (0700-0000) so that's fun for them.
Interesting stuff. Thats a whole bunch of classes

Interesting stuff. Thats a whole bunch of classes
Just for clarity, I don't mean 3 are coming in at the same time on the 16th. I mean that on the 16th, there will be 3 total going at the same time. And on the 24th, there will be 4 going at the same time. And if the instructors are already working doubles with 2 classes, how will they handle 4.

Just for clarity, I don't mean 3 are coming in at the same time on the 16th. I mean that on the 16th, there will be 3 total going at the same time. And on the 24th, there will be 4 going at the same time. And if the instructors are already working doubles with 2 classes, how will they handle 4.
God bless them. Looking at the FAA Catalog and there looks like there will be a new terminal classes almost every week.

What's the downside of waiting? Will the severance package not be there any more? I've seen too many TOLs go away because of whatever bs for me to feel comfortable with it completely.
What's the difference between applying for severance now, or leaving later? Will he not work until then? Is he still actively making money?
I feel like waiting would be pretty hard because I would be taking more than a 50% pay cut just leaving the airline. If I take the severance package, I would be able to pay my families bills while I'm at the academy. A concern I have is having my TOL taken away and being out of both jobs, so I can understand where you're coming from with not doing anything till I have a FOL. Why have those people you're talking about lost their TOLs? And I wouldn't find another job till the academy because I have a 4 month old baby, and staying home would save us a lot on day care.
If he starts atc anytime in the next year he basically gets to double dip. If his toll falls through then maybe he won’t come out ahead. But if he’s an agent at an airline the chance of him being furloughed or contracted out us probably higher than his TOL falling through.
This is mostly why I want to take the severance package. I don't think anyone from the airline I work for will get laid off when the government money runs out, but with the covid numbers looking the way they are, anything could happen with the airline industry. I'm just concerned that I wouldn't get a class after I leave. It's just a big gamble I'm taking and I would like to know better if the odds are in my favor.
I would do it. They're continuing with the January bid which makes me think hiring is still a go. If you look at the FAA's course catalog they have terminal classes scheduled through January. I dont know what the enroute classes name would be so I couldnt find enroute classes but I'm sure they have those scheduled through January as well. And I know it's up to date because the terminal class has a gap between 2/26/2020 and 7/6/2020
Im sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, could you link to the course catalog that you're referring to?

Just looking for y’all’s opinion.

My company is offering a very generous severance package. With full transparency, it is one of the major airlines. The package includes 1 year of pay with Medical insurance, among other benefits. For an airline, that’s pretty good! The deadline to apply for the package is Wednesday. I have all my clearances and I’m pending a class date, but my hr rep said they don’t know when they would offer one.

So what do y’all think... Should I take the severance package? Does anyone have their tentative offer pulled at this stage in the process? I’m leaning towards taking the severance, but I have ten years and am couple months away from topping out at the airline. It just worries me about leaving without a FOL yet.

Take the severance package if you're actually planning on pursuing this career. You've got all your clearances. A FOL is coming it's just a matter of when. Remember all those people in online basics who are struggling because of the pay and not being able to work another job easily? That wouldn't be you.

T
Take the severance package if you're actually planning on pursuing this career. You've got all your clearances. A FOL is coming it's just a matter of when. Remember all those people in online basics who are struggling because of the pay and not being able to work another job easily? That wouldn't be you.
Thanks for your input! I definitely understand that I’m fortunate with what my company is doing, especially when I have to leave them anyways. I’ve been trying for 6 years to get this job and I’m a CTI grad, so I do plan on this being my career.

T

Thanks for your input! I definitely understand that I’m fortunate with what my company is doing, especially when I have to leave them anyways. I’ve been trying for 6 years to get this job and I’m a CTI grad, so I do plan on this being my career.

I’d say it’s a no brained then to take it. The academy is stressful enough without having finances to think about.

and I’m a CTI grad

No hate, but what's the point of going to a CTI school these days? I too want to do this as a career, but I just signed up for an OTS bid and was in basics 8 months later with no college debt. If you wash out, does that mean you're outta luck?

No hate, but what's the point of going to a CTI school these days? I too want to do this as a career, but I just signed up for an OTS bid and was in basics 8 months later with no college debt. If you wash out, does that mean you're outta luck?
They said they've been trying for six years so a CTI degree was more valuable back then... And if they already worked for an airline long enough to get severance, no, I don't think washing out would mean they're out of luck.

Like many have said. I would say the severance route is the better route. But like I also have said, I have seen people lose TOLs. (me as one of them). HR rep sees something they overlooked earlier (for me it was my hours on the experienced bid). But that's why they call it a TOL and not a FOL. Hopefully it doesn't shake out like that.

Just to get in pool 1. I was in my late 20’s, so I was getting a bit desperate. I’ve been in college for years taking a class or two per semester. So just changing the degree wasn’t a hard decision to make. Plus I didn’t have to take half of the classes required for the degree because I already took them. After finishing the CTI program and multiple applications, I finally got referred, and I believe somewhat of it had to do with being in pool 1.

This is just my reasoning for going to a CTI program. I don’t believe it gives me a leg up at the academy other than I’ve been exposed to the material already. But If I do wash out, then I will be sol.

Just looking for y’all’s opinion.

My company is offering a very generous severance package. With full transparency, it is one of the major airlines. The package includes 1 year of pay with Medical insurance, among other benefits. For an airline, that’s pretty good! The deadline to apply for the package is Wednesday. I have all my clearances and I’m pending a class date, but my hr rep said they don’t know when they would offer one.

So what do y’all think... Should I take the severance package? Does anyone have their tentative offer pulled at this stage in the process? I’m leaning towards taking the severance, but I have ten years and am couple months away from topping out at the airline. It just worries me about leaving without a FOL yet.

I would take the severance payout. God forbid your TOL is rescinded, but if it is I would imagine it would be months before a year hits which gives you plenty of time to find another career. Also if you took the payout you could possibly find some easy work to generate extra income. Just my two cents. Whatever you choose I hope it works out for the best.

Has anyone received or heard word of August on boarding/class dates yet?
I'm on-boarding for en-route July 20 and they said they would email me all the information the week before but I still haven't received anything yet. I also don't know any class dates about when virtual basics would start for my situation. I'm assuming though if everything goes well, I would be doing basics in August and based on the catalog of en-route classes, I'm hoping to start en-route classes at the academy in September

I'm on-boarding for en-route July 20 and they said they would email me all the information the week before but I still haven't received anything yet. I also don't know any class dates about when virtual basics would start for my situation. I'm assuming though if everything goes well, I would be doing basics in August and based on the catalog of en-route classes, I'm hoping to start en-route classes at the academy in September
That seems awfully optimistic. Corona is spreading exponentially again, even if they don't shut the Academy back down they're having a hard time getting RPOs and instructors to come back. Plus they are operating at reduced capacity for social distancing. And there are lots of online basics classes in front of you waiting to go to initial.

That seems awfully optimistic. Corona is spreading exponentially again, even if they don't shut the Academy back down they're having a hard time getting RPOs and instructors to come back. Plus they are operating at reduced capacity for social distancing. And there are lots of online basics classes in front of you waiting to go to initial.
Yup. I figured. Just trying to stay hopeful but at the same time understanding it probably won't go as I want it to pan out.

Back
Top Bottom