Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

Someone on the ATC subreddit said through the retirement attrition that about 2-3 air traffic controllers are retiring every day. I wonder what that means for us academy people when it comes time to give us a facility. The person said that just about every facility will be impacted by this. I know it may take awhile for air traffic to pick back up to pre-corona days so I’m very curious to see how this plays out if a huge percentage of facilities will be in need of controllers.
It's not going to change anything. Terminal academy grads will still go to levels 7 and below facilities with a list being made at the FAA's discretion. Enroute graduates will go wherever is needed.

It's not going to change anything. Terminal academy grads will still go to levels 7 and below facilities with a list being made at the FAA's discretion. Enroute graduates will go wherever is needed.
oh yeah Terminal is definitely staying the same when it comes to level 7 and below. I just wonder how they will decide which facilities will get precedence if so many controllers are retiring at every facility. Probably will stay the same tho!

Last edited:
Taking nonradar evals today . . . which means I am sitting in a room doing nothing for most of the day. Anyone have any questions about the Academy or anything?

Taking nonradar evals today . . . which means I am sitting in a room doing nothing for most of the day. Anyone have any questions about the Academy or anything?

Good luck! Did you get to attend some online En route classes before you started back up at the Academy? If so, did they skip some of the curricula or did they start from the beginning when you started at the Academy?

Good luck! Did you get to attend some online En route classes before you started back up at the Academy? If so, did they skip some of the curricula or did they start from the beginning when you started at the Academy?
Thanks! I did basics here in OKC. There are classes here that did basics online and they started from the beginning of “Initial Enroute”.

How much a day have you been studying? Also what do you do for free time when you’re at the academy?

How much a day have you been studying? Also what do you do for free time when you’re at the academy?
It heavily depends on what part of the course you are in since during academics there is a lot of stuff to learn and commit to memory. If I had to estimate I would say 2 to 3 hours a day.
Of course it depends on the person. I am in a class where 9/12 are CTIs and I feel the need to study more in attempt to over come the advantages they seem to have. You could probably get away with much less studying.

It heavily depends on what part of the course you are in since during academics there is a lot of stuff to learn and commit to memory. If I had to estimate I would say 2 to 3 hours a day.
Of course it depends on the person. I am in a class where 9/12 are CTIs and I feel the need to study more in attempt to over come the advantages they seem to have. You could probably get away with much less studying.
In my free time I take my dogs to the park and hang out with my wife. Used to go out with classmates on Fridays but stopped due to the virus.

Good to know. Have they told you any info About facilities your class might get?

Good to know. Have they told you any info About facilities your class might get?
You find out a week before radar evals . . . So in about 4 weeks from now for me.

I'm sure you have been made aware of this and I know it is hard but don't even think about facilities. They can and will send you anywhere. I'd recommend looking at the possible facilities and assuming you're going to your last preference so you won't be disappointed later on.

Back
Top Bottom