Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

is there any reason to believe the pool 1/pool 2 split will be different this time around? the FAA admitted in their most recent workforce plan that they didn't hire enough people because of the 10% rule, so are they doing anything differently this time? from the plan:
"Because of the 10 percent balancing requirement between the pools, FAA was only able to select 264 applicants from the general public pool, and FAA was not able to pursue 783 otherwise well-qualified candidates from that pool. If this trend continues, this will have a major impact on the FAA’s ability to hire enough controllers to meet its operational needs."

So even if you're literally the best ranked in pool 2, you can get eliminated through the lottery selection?

Jesus that sucks as a pool 2, doubt they'll fix it this process but hope it gets fixed.

is there any reason to believe the pool 1/pool 2 split will be different this time around?

No reason to think that. If you want to push for it, contact your Concresscritters—tell your Senators to support S. 1148 and ask your representative to introduce a similar bill in the House. Double-edged sword if the 10% rule goes away though; reading between the lines, the intention of the bill is to return to a pool 1 only hiring situation. Discussion here.

So even if you're literally the best ranked in pool 2, you can get eliminated through the lottery selection?

Jesus that sucks as a pool 2, doubt they'll fix it this process but hope it gets fixed.
pretty sure it's not a lottery selection. most likely the take they top scorers in pool 2. those 264 from the public pool almost certainly scored higher than the 783 who didn't get an offer

No reason to think that. If you want to push for it, contact your Concresscritters—tell your Senators to support S. 1148 and ask your representative to introduce a similar bill in the House. Double-edged sword if the 10% rule goes away though; reading between the lines, the intention of the bill is to return to a pool 1 only hiring situation. Discussion here.
holy crap, if they go pool 1 only they'd really be screwed. I mean that seems very obvious right? or am I missing something?

or am I missing something?

You're missing the fact that last bid they didn't have enough Pool 1 applicants, so they weren't allowed to hire all the qualified Pool 2 applicants. If the give "preferential selection" to all Pool 1 applicants first, but there are (e.g.) 200 in Pool 1 and 800 in Pool 2 and they're looking to hire 1000 total, then under this change the people in Pool 2 would benefit.

It all depends on how many are in each pool for each bid. And of course in terms of agency-wide staffing the more they can hire the better.

You're missing the fact that last bid they didn't have enough Pool 1 applicants, so they weren't allowed to hire all the qualified Pool 2 applicants. If the give "preferential selection" to all Pool 1 applicants first, but there are (e.g.) 200 in Pool 1 and 800 in Pool 2 and they're looking to hire 1000 total, then under this change the people in Pool 2 would benefit.

It all depends on how many are in each pool for each bid. And of course in terms of agency-wide staffing the more they can hire the better.
right but doesn't pool 2 always outnumber pool 1 in qualified applicants? so how can it be a bad thing for pool 2 if the 10% rule goes away?

Will you go back to OKC as pass/pass?

Will you go back to OKC as pass/pass?

I honestly hadn't even thought about that as an option. Since I've started this process of getting back once my health cleared up in April, no one has really known what to do with me. I couldn't directly apply to a facility because I didn't CPC, I can't apply to previous experience bid for same reason. As far as I know I still have to get picked up again there's still a chance they don't pick me depending on how the pool 1 vs 2 scores go.

It'd be nice to be pass/pass but they don't have too many situations like mine so unless I get told otherwise I believe I have to pass my evals again and go through the academy with a clean slate. There's always a chance for that to change if you have any recommendations I'm all ears.

Is that how the union directed you back into the game? Curious what they thought about the situation.

My FACREP was very helpful the entire time and was trying to help in any way possible but it was out of our hands and up to the flight surgeon/my doctors. Granted I could use a refresher at this point if you gave me 2-3 weeks of a crash course and let me just study, I'd feel comfortable talking to live traffic again. But this job was the most enjoyable one I've ever had and even if that means back to the academy I'm okay with that if that's my way back in.

Crappy situation. I lost my medical for a few months during my probationary period, but luckily was assigned office work until I got it back. Hope they get you back in talking to planes quick. I would think if you have passed academy there is no reason to send you back.

S
pretty sure it's not a lottery selection. most likely the take they top scorers in pool 2. those 264 from the public pool almost certainly scored higher than the 783 who didn't get an offer

holy crap, if they go pool 1 only they'd really be screwed. I mean that seems very obvious right? or am I missing something?

So I have to kick serious ass on the ATSA then?

Like gun for 99th percentile? (I know it's impossible to do on sims)

Crappy situation. I lost my medical for a few months during my probationary period, but luckily was assigned office work until I got it back. Hope they get you back in talking to planes quick. I would think if you have passed academy there is no reason to send you back.

I was doing the same thing doing office work until I was told I was going to go from suspension to termination due to my results for the medical but now I have a clean bill of health.

It's been a long year of trying to figure out how I'm supposed to get back in but I've honestly accepted going through the academy again at worst it'll be a 3 month vacation and top choice from the list assuming I do well again having already done it before plus live traffic.

Anyone heard of another wave of invites are going out? Last time I scored well qualified on the ATSA but I haven't even gotten an invite this time.

I have a troop over here in the desert who got his ATSA, he is going to call HR later tonight and ask about test dates beyond 7 Oct. We aren’t due back into the states until mid October. I’ll post back here if they mention about dates past the 7th.

Also have another one who hasn’t received the email yet, we are all current controllers so it might lend to the fact that another wave is yet to come.

Good luck to all who have recieved their invites, there isn’t much to do for prep besides brain games and possibly atcprep if you actually want to spend the money. Just remember that you can practice each portion of the test as long as you need to before you do the scored run. (That’s what I did last year)

More to come,
PW
I was overseas during the 2016 bid and I was told I was out of luck...I was in Germany at the time with obviously no testing centers within 3k miles. The answer I got was fly to the states to take the test and fly back. Hope you have a different outcome.

Anyone heard of another wave of invites are going out? Last time I scored well qualified on the ATSA but I haven't even gotten an invite this time.
Same thing happened to me. I contacted HR they said wait till Monday before they will start looking into. They also mentioned they have no way to see if more waives are coming or not because PSI doesn't tell them.

1) For those who’ve taken the ATSA before, was the ATSA Compilation pretty accurate? Did you feel it was helpful?

2) For those who have scored best qualified, what was the most helpful resource and/or tips for testing?

Thanks in advance! Taking my ATSA 10/1.

1) For those who’ve taken the ATSA before, was the ATSA Compilation pretty accurate? Did you feel it was helpful?

2) For those who have scored best qualified, what was the most helpful resource and/or tips for testing?

Thanks in advance! Taking my ATSA 10/1.
Most users here from my observation have said it's pretty accurate. I have yet to take the test but MJ's post is pretty credible it seems. Good luck!

So I scheduled my ATSA for next week, but found out I scored in the best qualified band last year. Anyone know if I cancel my test next if they'll still roll over my results from last year's test?

So I scheduled my ATSA for next week, but found out I scored in the best qualified band last year. Anyone know if I cancel my test next if they'll still roll over my results from last year's test?

See post below

I reached out just now and a rep told me that if you want to carry over a previous ATSA score, you simply don't have to do anything and the score will automatically carry over.

Most users here from my observation have said it's pretty accurate. I have yet to take the test but MJ's post is pretty credible it seems. Good luck!
Each section gives you example problems and you can keep doing it over and over until you understand how to do it. The comp is accurate though.

Back
Top Bottom