Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

I know how anxious we are about getting the TOL's, but is anyone else here concerned about passing the medical eval if you make it through? I wondered how harsh they are on that. I don't have a history of any serious medical issues, but I did get admitted into the hospital about 6 or so years ago for walking pneumonia. Only admitted because they wanted to make sure I didn't have tuberculosis (which I obviously did not). I'm guessing I would have to come up with doctors notes explaining everything?
I am also very very worried about passing the medical. I broke my pelvis three-ish years ago (cleared to go back to fire fighting) and also have ADHD, which is the main one I'm worried about. Also have terrible eye sight but I'm corrected to 20/20.

I am also very very worried about passing the medical. I broke my pelvis three-ish years ago (cleared to go back to fire fighting) and also have ADHD, which is the main one I'm worried about. Also have terrible eye sight but I'm corrected to 20/20.
From reading around . . . I think the ADHD is the big concern especially if you have taken medication for it. May be disqualifying.

From reading around . . . I think the ADHD is the big concern especially if you have taken medication for it. May be disqualifying.
Yeah, I've done a lot of reading on it, and nothing outright says it's disqualifying, but it's subject to a lot of testing through the flight surgeon. I'm going to go ahead and apply and apply and appeal and apply again and beg until I turn 31 anyways.

Yeah, I've done a lot of reading on it, and nothing outright says it's disqualifying, but it's subject to a lot of testing through the flight surgeon. I'm going to go ahead and apply and apply and appeal and apply again and beg until I turn 31 anyways.
Might as well best of luck to you!

I know how anxious we are about getting the TOL's, but is anyone else here concerned about passing the medical eval if you make it through? I wondered how harsh they are on that. I don't have a history of any serious medical issues, but I did get admitted into the hospital about 6 or so years ago for walking pneumonia. Only admitted because they wanted to make sure I didn't have tuberculosis (which I obviously did not). I'm guessing I would have to come up with doctors notes explaining everything?

The medical can be fickle. I remember there was a guy who got disqualified because he had migraines when he was 9 years old. Just be honest when you fill everything out. Your one time situation is less of a chronic issue and more of a one off that ended up being fine. You may have to do a few additional medical tests but I wouldn't be too concerned. The people who have ADHD and similar issues are the ones who could potentially be in trouble.

As someone with a lifelong condition, yes.

But having pneumonia six years ago isn't going to disqualify you. I've looked up the medical questionnaire and I'm fairly certain you only have to list your doctor's visits in the last 3 years. If you've ever been hospitalized is a question you will have to answer yes, but explaining to the AME what happened will likely be sufficient

I worry about each thing as it comes. If I never get that TOL, the results of my medical eval are irrelevant. And if I do get that TOL, nothing I can do now will change the result of my medical eval anyway. What happens will happen, and there’s naught left but to go with the flow.

Yeah I'm a little worried about that too. Last year I got checked and had 20/15 vision in one eye and 20/25 in the other. I have no trouble seeing but they probably would require me to get glasses.

If you can’t see the letters, I would suggest getting correctable when wear ASAP. Best to be 20/20 then to wing it during the medical test.

I worry about each thing as it comes. If I never get that TOL, the results of my medical eval are irrelevant. And if I do get that TOL, nothing I can do now will change the result of my medical eval anyway. What happens will happen, and there’s naught left but to go with the flow.
This is the exact mind set to have. From what I have read the wait for the TOL is one of the easier wait periods. Just take it as it comes and put your best foot forward in every step of the process.

Last edited:
Still aren’t any other pool 2’s getting their TOL? Seems weird we had one post 90 minutes ago and then radio silence.. when the pool 1’s were going we were getting someone every 10 minutes confirming they got one.

As someone with a lifelong condition, yes.

But having pneumonia six years ago isn't going to disqualify you. I've looked up the medical questionnaire and I'm fairly certain you only have to list your doctor's visits in the last 3 years. If you've ever been hospitalized is a question you will have to answer yes, but explaining to the AME what happened will likely be sufficient
Never underestimate how much info the flight surgeon will ask for. I was question about simple things from 6+years ago.

Still aren’t any other pool 2’s getting their TOL? Seems weird we had one post 90 minutes ago and then radio silence.. when the pool 1’s were going we were getting someone every 10 minutes confirming they got one.
No one has posted on here yet that they received their TOL. Someone just said that someone on reddit said they had gotten one, that's all. No one here yet.

Has anyone asked HR when pool 2 will go out? I'm pool 1, but just curious if anyone has asked. They seemed to be somewhat willing to tell us when pool 1 was going out.

Called HR today after the long holiday weekend and asked about more offers, the nice woman I spoke to verified that I am indeed “qualified” in Pool 1. I asked about my chances of being selected, she put me on a 10 minute hold for whatever reason, came back and said she spoke with the ATO and she said that being Pool 1, anyone with VRA has just as good of chance as BQ/WQ this bid but no guarantees are made until a TOL/FOL is sent. She said to keep an eye on emails and good luck. Gives me some hope! I’m betting they didn’t have many P1 at all and a good chunk might get picked to make P1/P2 within the 10% required by FESSA.

Called HR today after the long holiday weekend and asked about more offers, the nice woman I spoke to verified that I am indeed “qualified” in Pool 1. I asked about my chances of being selected, she put me on a 10 minute hold for whatever reason, came back and said she spoke with the ATO and she said that being Pool 1, anyone with VRA has just as good of chance as BQ/WQ this bid but no guarantees are made until a TOL/FOL is sent. She said to keep an eye on emails and good luck. Gives me some hope! I’m betting they didn’t have many P1 at all and a good chunk might get picked to make P1/P2 within the 10% required by FESSA.

You’re killing me man. I don’t want this hope. I was over this bid and was mentally ready to wait for the next one whenever that is... now you sucked me right back in. JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS OUT!

Roughly how long do you have from getting a TOL to having to do the medical? If I were to get a TOL, my plan was to try and get Lasik done to correct minor astigmatism in one of my eyes... but I have no idea how long it would take to make that happen.

Roughly how long do you have from getting a TOL to having to do the medical? If I were to get a TOL, my plan was to try and get Lasik done to correct minor astigmatism in one of my eyes... but I have no idea how long it would take to make that happen.
There is no definitive time frame. Only thing we were told is that from the day we get our CIL we have 60 days to complete all the clearance requirements.

Back
Top Bottom