Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

I am currently well into getting into CBP. Still awaiting a polygraph and drug test. I have friends get into the academy a year after their TOL. I got my TOL on Wednesday I believe, If I am doing the medical, background investigation etc. would I have to do it again for FAA?

I am currently well into getting into CBP. Still awaiting a polygraph and drug test. I have friends get into the academy a year after their TOL. I got my TOL on Wednesday I believe, If I am doing the medical, background investigation etc. would I have to do it again for FAA?
You'll have to do the medical again and update the background. You'll still have to do the psych test and drug test new.

Roughly how long do you have from getting a TOL to having to do the medical? If I were to get a TOL, my plan was to try and get Lasik done to correct minor astigmatism in one of my eyes... but I have no idea how long it would take to make that happen.
As an FAA controller getting Lasik required at least three forms sent to the medical examiner. One proving you're 20/20, one a week post op and one six months post op. I can't remember but the may have been a year post op form as well.

Best of luck on your Poly. I had a brutal exam almost 2 years ago. Plan on reapplying in February once eligible again.

How strict are they on eyesight for the medical? I can see fine without glasses but I can certainly use them. I have my PPL and got my Class 3 medical 3 years ago with no glasses (I was 18 and now 21) so I feel like my vision hasn't deteriorated much. I just don't want to go to the eye doctor because 1, money and 2, I'd have to update my Class 3.

I'm otherwise healthy with no history of family health issues. Never been hospitalized, haven't been to the doctor in years etc. I've never even had the flu lol. Eyesight is my only real concern

So what questions should I expect from the medical examiner? Especially when it comes to drugs? I haven’t smoked weed since 2016 when I was 20 and before that I smoked twice in a 3 year time frame (one of them was actually an edible). So what do I say? I smoked weed rarely when I was 16 years old so does that affect me now when I’m 23 almost 24? Also am I taking a lie detector test or something? I just want to know what to expect if I reach it there.

Other than that I don’t really have any medical issues. I will probably need glasses but I did get my license renewed 2 months ago and I had to take a vision test which I passed but I found it very difficult.

No lie detector test. You will have to disclose all drug use in your background check.

Your background info asks about drug use.
Your AME asks about drug use.
MMPI asks abou

There is no polygraph.
You will be asked about past or current drug use.

Okay so do you think I have to worry about my prior drug use that I mentioned? I mean honestly, I did not smoke a lot but I have smoked in the past. I have no current drug use at all and drink once a week at most.

Okay so do you think I have to worry about my prior drug use that I mentioned? I mean honestly, I did not smoke a lot but I have smoked in the past. I have no current drug use at all and drink once a week at most.
I wouldn't disclose shit about smoking weed if its within the past 3 years. Quick way to get your medical denied.

I wouldn't disclose shit about smoking weed if its within the past 3 years. Quick way to get your medical denied.
Okay so I will just lie. I’ve never been a big weed smoker ever in my life it’s just that I have smoked in the past. I would have no guilt in saying that I smoke weed 6 years ago when I was 17 and that’s it. Thanks for your input.

Okay so I will just lie.
Probably not the best course of action... the medical form only asks about the past two years, so you don’t have a problem there. The background check asks for the past seven, but if you haven’t smoked in three years and only a couple times before then you have nothing to worry about. I disclosed regular use in college but nothing within two years of the interview and I had no issues, they even gave me a conditional clearance before the entire investigation was complete.

Better to be honest and not have to worry in case they go interviewing your friends. Plus it literally is a federal crime to lie on the forms.

How strict are they on eyesight for the medical? I can see fine without glasses but I can certainly use them. I have my PPL and got my Class 3 medical 3 years ago with no glasses (I was 18 and now 21) so I feel like my vision hasn't deteriorated much. I just don't want to go to the eye doctor because 1, money and 2, I'd have to update my Class 3.

I'm otherwise healthy with no history of family health issues. Never been hospitalized, haven't been to the doctor in years etc. I've never even had the flu lol. Eyesight is my only real concern
Must be correctable to 20/20. If you cannot read the 20/20 line on whatever chart they use you will not pass and will have to see an eye doctor and get an updated prescription before you can continue on. You also have to be able to pass the color vision test.

If you haven’t been busted for it (arrested or denied a job for it) keep it to yourself.

Don't count on anything in CBP, I was in the hiring process for CBP and Border Patrol have been a clean slate all my life and failed the Poly they have a notoriously high rate of failure around 60%. Not to get you nervous just don't count on it.

Don't count on anything in CBP, I was in the hiring process for CBP and Border Patrol have been a clean slate all my life and failed the Poly they have a notoriously high rate of failure around 60%. Not to get you nervous just don't count on it.

Well said, they also are a good agency to get into with the same retirement benefit as ATC and GS-12 pay without competition but their poly kills a huge chunk of quality candidates.

Someone mentioned them asking our friends. I had an FBI agent contact me to interview me about a friend who needed a higher clearance when he was looking to get into a new government job.

Do they do something similar to that for us?

Better to be honest and not have to worry in case they go interviewing your friends

Even if they didn't use drugs, I cant think of a single friend of mine that is going to just open up to a private investigator or federal employee about their past drug use

Back
Top Bottom