Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-19-ALLSRCE-61676

I took it a step further and sold my entire life. Full sized, furnished 4bdrm house. Wood shop, outdoor decor, the works. Solid setup. I sold everything that wouldn't fit in my subcompact with a roof rack. I haven't been this light in a decade. It kinda sucked selling off the life I worked to build, but it's kinda exciting starting over new and fresh.
Can definitely see both sides to that. I was super excited to rent my house out and make the home-owner >> Landlord jump. But as I was mopping the last floor shutting the door behind me, there was definitely a moment of sadness to be had. Double edged sword. Are you already in basics or are you skipping that and just awaiting academy?

Can definitely see both sides to that. I was super excited to rent my house out and make the home-owner >> Landlord jump. But as I was mopping the last floor shutting the door behind me, there was definitely a moment of sadness to be had. Double edged sword. Are you already in basics or are you skipping that and just awaiting academy?
Done with virtual basics, now just waiting for the next step.

I took it a step further and sold my entire life. Full sized, furnished 4bdrm house. Wood shop, outdoor decor, the works. Solid setup. I sold everything that wouldn't fit in my subcompact with a roof rack. I haven't been this light in a decade. It kinda sucked selling off the life I worked to build, but it's kinda exciting starting over new and fresh.
Actually got referred to this job, because I sold off my life 2 years ago. It's definitely nice just starting something new. Looking forward to a change of scenery with this.

How was it?
Sucked. They condensed it down to 3 weeks. 14 instruction days, 1 test prep day, and the test day. Weekends are crucial for study time. I've seen on here mentioned that basics is a breeze and you have to be a dunce to fail it...but that doesn't apply to the zoom version. If you an instrument rated pilot with a heavy aviation background, it's not too bad. If you have no experience, you're going to have to study like your life depended on it.

About how much per month are the online students getting paid?
Pre-tax number always lead to false securities. I know net pay is dependent on a number of factors, but if you're a single person not claiming any dependents, expect to take home a hair over $300 a week. Start living light, you are not allowed to work during the M-F 9-5 hours, even if you are not scheduled for class...that restriction starts the second you swear in.

Sucked. They condensed it down to 3 weeks. 14 instruction days, 1 test prep day, and the test day. Weekends are crucial for study time. I've seen on here mentioned that basics is a breeze and you have to be a dunce to fail it...but that doesn't apply to the zoom version. If you an instrument rated pilot with a heavy aviation background, it's not too bad. If you have no experience, you're going to have to study like your life depended on it.

Pre-tax number always lead to false securities. I know net pay is dependent on a number of factors, but if you're a single person not claiming any dependents, expect to take home a hair over $300 a week. Start living light, you are not allowed to work during the M-F 9-5 hours, even if you are not scheduled for class...that restriction starts the second you swear in.
I'm delaying applying for health/dental insurance until I actually pass basics... that alone is $400 extra. I get $750 every paycheck.

Last edited by a moderator:
THAT'S IT? I'd be living on the sidewalk after the second paycheck if that's all they pay. How the hell do you buy food with that level of pay?
You move in with your parents rent-free. I did that. I also sold every belonging I could except my car on Facebook and Craigslist to have a nest egg that will last me a little while. If you can't do that, move along. Breaking out my tin foil hat here, but ATC isn't going to have a need for new hires for a while...so they're not going to bend over backwards for those in the pipeline. If you can't make it on the offered wages, they expect you to move on and won't feel bad about it.

I'm delaying applying for health/dental insurance until I actually pass basics... that alone is $400 extra. I get $750 every paycheck.
Yeah, I forgot about that. My figure was from the first couple checks before I signed up ($300 a week, no insurance yet.) That actually kept me up last night, I'm going to dig up my pay stub for next Tuesday, I betcha I'm taking home considerably less than $300/wk now....I signed up for the health insurance as a necessity, I feel better having it even if I'm being tossed into the soup lines.

Start living light, you are not allowed to work during the M-F 9-5 hours, even if you are not scheduled for class...that restriction starts the second you swear in.

Thanks for this part. I had no idea and figured while we were still waiting on the iPad we could work whatever hours as long as it was part time. I hope my current employer is still cool with this lol

THAT'S IT? I'd be living on the sidewalk after the second paycheck if that's all they pay. How the hell do you buy food with that level of pay?
If you don't live with your parents I'd do one (or more) of the following:

A) Find a part time job

B) Move back in with parents/find a cheap room in a cheaper part of the country

C) Move to Mexico or a country with a lower cost of living for a little bit

This is not a salary to be living in LA/Chi/NYC with.

I guess this is their sure fire way of weeding people out with inside of a month? How’s the success rate working out here? I know you have to study a lot, but I figured this would be the case for ‘across the street’

So In the expect lull between when online basics ends and classes at the academy start. We are still unable to work M-F 9-5, at another job? If so then it’s back to night shifts at the hospital until Oklahoma

So In the expect lull between when online basics ends and classes at the academy start. We are still unable to work M-F 9-5, at another job? If so then it’s back to night shifts at the hospital until Oklahoma
There won't be a real lull. You'll take the academics portion of the next phase after basics via Zoom. The jury is still out on whether or not that course counts towards the end though. It depends on who you ask, but everyone agrees that a big reason for holding the courses is to keep you 'gainfully employed' and to ensure you're not just sitting around doing nothing and collecting a paycheck.

Yall making this sound rough lol. I could probably live off this pay for maybe a month or 2 but if the shutdown drags out too long I would have to turned down the job. Maybe it's better to not accept online basics classes now and wait for OKC to reopen.

. Maybe it's better to not accept online basics classes now and wait for OKC to reopen.

As someone who already went through the academy I'd have to agree with you. People are talking about selling their possessions for a 1K paycheck like they have some kind of job security. I've seen a guy that needed 20/100 points on his last eval walk out of there with a zero meaning he was fired.

I’m not really concerned with the pay situation (fortunately) but the way zoom basics being taught definitely does concern me. I don’t want some mediocre or lackluster version of basics being taught to me At an extremely fast pace and screwing over my chances at a nice career that I am motivated for.

Might just have to defer basics until we can actually be at the academy. I do understand that not everyone is in an easy situation to manage.

Even if they stick to online basics after the academy reopens, at least you would know the exactly how long you would have to be prepared to live off a small paycheck. With the current situation you don't know if it's one month or six.

Back
Top Bottom