Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

Not the worst advice, but I've also learned in life that sometimes a completely fresh person is easier to teach than someone with "bad habits" to unlearn or change their thinking. I've just been doing cursory reading and watching of aviation related articles and videos the past 2 years, but I havent tried to "study" anything because I dont want to have to unlearn something I may have taught myself incorrectly. It takes knowing what kind of learner you are; I'm not necessarily a quick learner but I can soak in information for hours and enjoy it, when taught by an authority on the subject (especially if I can ask questions as time goes on). Just my two cents.
I recently found out one of my bar friends is a retired controller. His advice was to just wait on studying until you get to basics for this exact reason. He said just be about business when you get to the academy. I’ve actually gotten in touch with a few retired controllers so I’ll be utilizing them and their help throughout the process.

How do you know you're getting en route? Yea a buddy from my school passed en route a couple classes ago, but with a 73. Everyone from your school gets terminal? Must be nice.
I got offered a last minute en route class 2 weeks ago for June 24th and declined cause it was less than a week notice. My hr rep told me that since she offered me en route that would be what I’m offered in the future.

I got offered a last minute en route class 2 weeks ago for June 24th and declined cause it was less than a week notice. My hr rep told me that since she offered me en route that would be what I’m offered in the future.
damn true when were you cleared? or do you think you just got lucky and got picked to fill a rejected slot?

There's plenty of material right now you can start studying! If you're OTS its best to start getting your feet wet. When I was in school I had 4 years to learn everything. At the academy you have what 60 days give or take? Out of curiosity who here is a CTI grad still waiting on a class date?
I will be a CTI grad in December, currently waiting for a class date.

damn true when were you cleared? or do you think you just got lucky and got picked to fill a rejected slot?
I was cleared sometime between February 2nd and March 9th. Not really sure cause the flight surgeon cleared me the 2nd but didn’t send my stuff over to aviation careers till the 19th. Someone definitely dropped out cause they asked me less than a week in advance ?

I was cleared sometime between February 2nd and March 9th. Not really sure cause the flight surgeon cleared me the 2nd but didn’t send my stuff over to aviation careers till the 19th. Someone definitely dropped out cause they asked me less than a week in advance ?
true true that is extremely short notice

I am trying to find some more information on the academy. Does anyone know how long the academy is, and what is the training schedule? Thinking of some of the best options for my wife while in training.
My partner recently made it through the academy, and I just got my TOL! Essentially, it’s going to be one month of basics (online day shift), and then three months at the academy (rotating day and night shift). If you get enroute (chances are about 5:1) there will be 6 graded evaluations. Two controller knowledge tests, two aircraft knowledge tests, a non radar evaluation, and a radar evaluation. The points are heavily skewed toward the radar evaluation. I believe it comprises 60 of the total points needed to pass. The academic portions are weighted the least, and I think there were a total of 20 points up for grabs in the non radar portion. 70 points are needed to pass.

That being said, the academy is difficult. Two candidates in my partner’s class entered the radar evaluations in a good position to pass, and didn’t make it. We decided it would be best if I retained my job and held onto the lease while he was at the academy. I visited once about midway through the program. It’s difficult to be away, but with such a high fail rate it’s hard to justify uprooting everything until it’s a done deal.

Students usually receive the facility placement list the week of radar evaluations. So if you pass, you’ll spend the weekend after scrambling to research rental properties in new areas. There are several things to consider when picking facilities. It’s usually easier to transfer out of higher level facilities, but COVID drastically slowed the training rate at some of the upper level areas. We ended up choosing a lower level facility in a low cost of living area. However, my partner will mostly likely begin D side training in the next couple months, while some of his classmates are looking at sitting at graduate pay for nearly two years.

Last edited:
If you want material to look over before starting up training you can always read the 7110.65. I can't see how the academy would teach something different from that.

There's something called the Acadamy way. They want you to do things their way. You'll hear "this isn't how we do it in the real world, but this is how we do it here" or "this is a game, play by the rules" more than once.

Best thing to do before the academy IF you really want to do something is just learn about basic aviation stuff, basic pilot stuff, basic navigation and radios just to get familiar with terms. Also, phonetics and numbers if you don't know them yet.

So for terminal the academy is 8 weeks correct? I’ve looked at faqs and the course log, I’m just not sure what classes we are required to take. Thanks

I was told by a controller at N90 that its best to just learn the aviation alphabet thats it. Everything else they teach you at the academy. Besides you dont know if you may be reading older information
Yeah, I'm an insurance agent, so I learned my Alpha Bravo Charlies a while ago to make it easier to get VIN numbers and what not over the phone. I don't think it's worth it to study anything else before the academy.

I'll agree with everyone else, if you know your phonetic alphabet backwards and forwards and in your sleep that's one less thing you need to worry about when you get there, and it's something you'll use for the rest of your career.

As for the rest of it, there's definitely "the Academy way" and there's definitely a lot in the .65 that won't make a lot of sense until you start applying it. If you're really desperate for something to do you could read Chapters 1 and 2 but I wouldn't recommend reading any more than that. They'll teach you what they want you to know when they want you to know it.

Ya'll got lucky I have TH and its been like yanking teeth to get any response from her. Ending up having to contact the rep that had sent me my TOL originally and I assume she passed the word to her because next day she picked up my call second ring. Also im pretty sure everyone who has TH as their rep has since been given class dates. ruff
I’m in the same boat. TH has not sent me one email, contacted me, or ever replied to an email I sent at all during this process. It’s all been through other reps but I was told this phone call would be from TH. I also don’t have a class date. Hoping we get that magical phone call soon!

Back
Top Bottom