Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

Got medically disqualified today. Apparently I can try to appeal, but I don’t know if I will or not.... so bummed.
I appealed two fainting spells and got it overturned. I just had to prove it wasn’t a problem anymore. If you do appeal, best thing you can do is to get as much documentation together as possible so when the FS finally gets around to your file they don’t need further information. I wrote a personal statement and referred myself to a neurologist/cardiologist for further reassurance.

This is not strictly accurate. The position does require an investigation, and the investigation is based on the SF-86, but it is NOT a cleared position. It's Public Trust, you don't get a security clearance (unless maybe if you work at ADW or JCF or something). And the security process uses a "whole-person" concept, they will take mitigating factors into account.

Now where you will run into trouble is the medical clearance. The form—again, a federal form you shouldn't lie on—asks if you have any history of "substance abuse" in the past two years, and defines "abuse" to include any use of an illegal substance, including marijuana. Kind of harsh IMO but that's what it is. The form is not the be-all-end-all, the final approval lies with the flight surgeon, but from what I understand they're a lot more cut and dry than the security people.

I thought the SF-86 form was to get a security clearance? Or am I confused? I know ATC isn't looking for Top Secret, but I thought they were looking for at least Secret Clearance. Can someone explain? :)

I thought the SF-86 form was to get a security clearance? Or am I confused? I know ATC isn't looking for Top Secret, but I thought they were looking for at least Secret Clearance. Can someone explain? :)
A secret clearance is required per the information that was present in this bid’s announcement. The announcement is the first post in this thread. Under the section titled “Background checks and security clearance” it says that a secret clearance is required.

A secret clearance is required per the information that was present in this bid’s announcement. The announcement is the first post in this thread. Under the section titled “Background checks and security clearance” it says that a secret clearance is required.
thank you. and how does this differ from public trust clearance?

I appealed two fainting spells and got it overturned. I just had to prove it wasn’t a problem anymore. If you do appeal, best thing you can do is to get as much documentation together as possible so when the FS finally gets around to your file they don’t need further information. I wrote a personal statement and referred myself to a neurologist/cardiologist for further reassurance
Okay, good to know. Mine is more of a mental health situation, but maybe getting an opinion from a psychologist would be helpful. Thanks for the tips, it’s really a crappy feeling being disqualified.

The background check is similar to a secret clearance investigation, but you don't get any security clearance.
That’s not necessarily true. I believe many towers don’t require/issue clearances, but as far as I’m aware, everyone at ARTCCs has a secret clearance.

But the post above says that a secret clearance is required….
As far as I understand (and I am just some dude on a forum) the FAA requires a secret level security clearance, requires you to fill out the SF-86 (used for security clearances) and all of my interactions so far with HR and security have referred to it as a security clearance. So maybe I’m wrong and it’s not technically a security clearance but the FAA certainly makes it sound like it is. Also, I believe that it used to be that enroute got a secret clearance investigation and terminal got a public trust, but that changed and now everyone gets a secret clearance investigation. ?‍♂️

As far as I understand (and I am just some dude on a forum) the FAA requires a secret level security clearance, requires you to fill out the SF-86 (used for security clearances) and all of my interactions so far with HR and security have referred to it as a security clearance. So maybe I’m wrong and it’s not technically a security clearance but the FAA certainly makes it sound like it is. Also, I believe that it used to be that enroute got a secret clearance investigation and terminal got a public trust, but that changed and now everyone gets a secret clearance investigation. ?‍♂️
If everyone gets cleared secret from the start it doesn't matter what tower or station you are sent to you are cleared. If the gave you your assignment before the clearance phase then it would make sense to do different clearances. An interview is not required for secret, it is necessary for TS. you get a interview if they need to clarify something, they need more info, or if you messed up your form. Everyone is getting a secret.

For the people who are further along and got to test in 2020, does your USA Jobs still say reviewing applications or does that change once TOLs go out?
I'm waiting on an FOL right now, but I thought I'd check my USAjobs page just for fun. Last time I checked about a year ago, It read that I was Referred and the old '19 bid was still showing Not Referred. Now they both read as "reviewing applications".

Back
Top Bottom