Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

That being said, between your paycheck, the extra money you can bank from food per diem, and the fact you’re not paying rent while in OKC should give anyone at the Academy ample opportunity to save money for a move.

Hello all.

I contacted my HR rep a few days ago, and was notified that I might get a December or January basics class date. My family lives in Hawaii, and I was planning on visiting them between my current job and basics. If I bring a laptop along, I am thinking about possibly extending my time with family into basics.

For those that have been through online basics, do you think it's doable while visiting family in Hawaii and being away from "home?" I think I also saw somewhere that a timezone that different would screw over the rest of the class in the contiguous US.

For the curious, I was placed in pending class date status in mid-late March.

They will schedule your basics class to accomodate you at your home address on file. So if your address on file is Hawaii then your basics class will typically be adjusted. If not, you might be waking up at 3am HST.

What’s the difference between the conditional and the full clearance? What else are they looking into?
Conditional is to check there are no major red flags that pops up. You get fully cleared once they actually look into everything not surface level.

They will schedule your basics class to accomodate you at your home address on file. So if your address on file is Hawaii then your basics class will typically be adjusted. If not, you might be waking up at 3am HST.

Conditional is to check there are no major red flags that pops up. You get fully cleared once they actually look into everything not surface level.
Copy that, I didn’t realize there were two steps. I had a phone interview with them to clarify a few things so once that was done and I was told I was cleared by HR I thought that was it.

Thank you

To expand you can start working with a conditional clearance. Some don’t get a full clearance till a year after they get to their facility even. And you don’t even get a notification that you have a full security clearance

Last edited:
I knew you got mileage going to the academy, but you also get it going from the academy to the facility?
I left the Academy about a month ago. They don’t pay you the mileage to your facility. When you graduate you have to say if you’re going back home first or straight to your facility and then they give you what the cost of a flight would be to your choice basically.

I left the Academy about a month ago. They don’t pay you the mileage to your facility. When you graduate you have to say if you’re going back home first or straight to your facility and then they give you what the cost of a flight would be to your choice basically.
Must’ve recently changed, because we were just told they’d pay us mileage to our facility or home if we’re going home first, whichever is shorter

Must’ve recently changed, because we were just told they’d pay us mileage to our facility or home if we’re going home first, whichever is shorter
Not recently changed.

“In accordance with the FAA Travel Policy, FAA-preferred method of travel is by Air to the facility (1 travel day). If the individual requests to travel by POV, a cost comparison is conducted based on airfare, POV mileage and related expenses from Oklahoma City to the assigned facility. Individuals will receive the lesser of the two costs in the cost comparison for travel reimbursement. If traveling by POV, the individual is granted excused absence up to the number of days indicated in the applicable agreement (ie. Travel leave, Change of station leave). If the individual chooses to drive to their home of record (HOR) or another approved alternate location before reporting to their facility, they will still only receive the number of days indicated in the agreement and no further travel expenses above cost comparison outcome will be authorized. Out of pocket expenses may be incurred by the individual.”

Last update was 23 July, and that was an email saying "your file's been forwarded for Tier II coordination. We will contact you with further instructions". I'd imagine it's a tad backlogged, but going on two months without any contact from any of my contacts is starting to get to me. Anything I can be doing in the meantime? Haven't heard anything about my conditional security clearance (or do I only get cleared after my Tier II eval?), or anything from my HR rep.

Has anyone else noticed that the list on the EODS website for required reading material is not congruent with the list on the FAA website link provided? Feels weird signing my EODS saying I read stuff when I didn't because it wasn't on the website.

Also, my HR lady is not responding.... I am getting married at the end of the month... Should I fill out my W4 form as if I am already married since I will be married before my first day of employment?

Back
Top Bottom