Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-21-ALLSRCE-73599

The best thing you can do is practice on the hard setting. Forget the medium for now.

If you get decent enough on the hard, you’ll be golden for the test because the test is not as fast as the hard on Job. I’d say it’s about the same speed as medium or a hair faster.

Yeah, I didn’t answer much of the math, only when I had time in between scenarios.

I’m more worried about the visual relationship section. I was on a roll til I f*cked up, and it took me a bit to recover. But it is what it is.

Yep, it’s relax o’clock now haha. When’s your test?
Thanks for all the tips! I'm sure you did great. And my test is on the 9th so a little over 10 days away. I am scared shitless lol

It was the only time and date available for some reason in this entire city or else I would've picked a sooner date so I could've had it over with ?

Yeah, mine is this Saturday. For some reason there were hardly any times available, let alone times that actually worked for me

Just took my first ATSA! I don’t know how I did but it wasn’t as stressful as I had imagined. The collisions scenario was also slower than I had thought too, but that’s not to say that it’s easy.

Ask me any questions!

Just took my first ATSA! I don’t know how I did but it wasn’t as stressful as I had imagined. The collisions scenario was also slower than I had thought too, but that’s not to say that it’s easy.

Ask me any questions!
Nice! Did you screw up anywhere like I did lol? How many collisions did you have?

Nice! Did you screw up anywhere like I did lol? How many collisions did you have?
I definitely did! Each section had a couple misses here and there, but in general I felt confident. I was expecting my brain to feel like mush, but it didn't. I make no claims to what my result might be, but I am happy with my effort today.

As a side note: the proctors told me that my location had some internet issues during the past two weeks, which manifested during my exam. It happened twice: once after the equations with variables section (couldn't save progress) and in the middle of the personality evaluation. I used this time to use the restroom as I had to get up from my seat and wait anyway. I didn't use breaks except for these interruptions-- I'd go pee and wait. They gave me a case number afterward. I got to begin my exam early and I finished earlier than expected.

Number Differences: This section gave me a hiccup because of the way JTP/ATCP presents a question mark between numbers. As you mentioned, the ATSA won't display a question mark. The test was a bit faster than ATCPrep which I mostly used for my preparation. That had me doubting myself. I kept questioning if I had remembered my answer or the previously shown number, if that makes sense. For those waiting to test, be mindful of that. This was the first section of the ATSA so I was feeling a bit anxious and hadn't gotten into the groove. Eventually by the end of the first round or two, I was able to utilize some of the techniques I picked up during prep.

Equations with Variables: I had a similar experience to yours. Subsection 1 is easy-breezy and is a good warmup, but I made a stupid typo on one question. Section 2 is tolerable, and Section 3 is more complex. I had some misses there, but I remained calm.

Visual Relationships: I have had success with this section in prep, so I was confident throughout. With ATCPrep, the keys used are + and Enter on the numpad, but are T and F on the ATSA. That was different, but manageable. Some mistakes here, so I was kicking myself just a little. But maybe I'm being tough on myself. I actually enjoy this subsection! I used the two-finger technique, lmao

Collision Sim: Ahhhhhh. This was the section I was most concerned with. My test scores using ATCPrep have been meh, although I've sunk the most time into it. Anyway, I think JobTestPrep is the most accurate representation of the test. For example: in the latter portions of this section, many balls appear all around the periphery of the screen and are flying inward, which we observe in JTP but not ATCPrep. Just keep that in mind. I mostly used ATCPrep, and while I don't regret it, I think JTP is a better representation. Also, the math on the ATSA is pretty dang fast so be mindful of that. I think I had, like... five or six collisions? I'm not 100% sure. Some of them were dumb mistakes that I should have been on top of. My advice is don't ease up when you think you've eliminated the collisions.

Personality Test: I didn't give this much labor, just pick something and move forward. I think I was concerned with time (no watches or clocks allowed) so I was zooming my way through. Although, I will say that I feel slightly poopy because my answers align with sentiments such as: introversion, following rules, and not always taking charge. I tried not to think about that during the exam but now I feel like I totally just cooked my goose... but I was being honest. I feel as concerned about this as I am with the collision sim, lmao. I didn't want to lie and game the system, because they will know. JTP provides insight on this section of the test and I would recommend it.

Reading Comprehension: I thought it was fine. The passages are short and are easy to read, so again, I didn't labor over every answer. Pick one and go. With these last two sections, I had trouble managing time. I got everything done with a few minutes to spare but I don't know how I did.

Logical Reasoning: It's meant to be hard for everyone. I struggled at the end and had to blindly answer stuff. I wasn't freaked out very much during any one part of the test, but it's concerning when I see the time ticking down. Just do your best and make sure to answer every single question. Some were easy, others not so much. But I had to commit to an answer sooner or later and keep pushing.

Closing thoughts: Emotionally I feel pretty good and I didn't get my brain scrambled like I would have anticipated. But now after writing this reflection, I feel kinda down and not so confident that I did as well as I would have liked. But I guess many people feel that way. It is tough to not buy into the FUD.

Regarding test prep, again, I mostly used ATCPrep. It's cheap, and you can get good practice with the four skills. But I would recommend JobTestPrep-- while it's pricey, you get access to every aspect of the test. You might find something especially useful here that you couldn't gain with ATCPrep. I may or may not be kicking myself later when I get my results.

To everyone else waiting to test, you got this! Don't stress, eat a good breakfast and get some sleep!

I definitely did! Each section had a couple misses here and there, but in general I felt confident. I was expecting my brain to feel like mush, but it didn't. I make no claims to what my result might be, but I am happy with my effort today.

As a side note: the proctors told me that my location had some internet issues during the past two weeks, which manifested during my exam. It happened twice: once after the equations with variables section (couldn't save progress) and in the middle of the personality evaluation. I used this time to use the restroom as I had to get up from my seat and wait anyway. I didn't use breaks except for these interruptions-- I'd go pee and wait. They gave me a case number afterward. I got to begin my exam early and I finished earlier than expected.

Number Differences: This section gave me a hiccup because of the way JTP/ATCP presents a question mark between numbers. As you mentioned, the ATSA won't display a question mark. The test was a bit faster than ATCPrep which I mostly used for my preparation. That had me doubting myself. I kept questioning if I had remembered my answer or the previously shown number, if that makes sense. For those waiting to test, be mindful of that. This was the first section of the ATSA so I was feeling a bit anxious and hadn't gotten into the groove. Eventually by the end of the first round or two, I was able to utilize some of the techniques I picked up during prep.

Equations with Variables: I had a similar experience to yours. Subsection 1 is easy-breezy and is a good warmup, but I made a stupid typo on one question. Section 2 is tolerable, and Section 3 is more complex. I had some misses there, but I remained calm.

Visual Relationships: I have had success with this section in prep, so I was confident throughout. With ATCPrep, the keys used are + and Enter on the numpad, but are T and F on the ATSA. That was different, but manageable. Some mistakes here, so I was kicking myself just a little. But maybe I'm being tough on myself. I actually enjoy this subsection! I used the two-finger technique, lmao

Collision Sim: Ahhhhhh. This was the section I was most concerned with. My test scores using ATCPrep have been meh, although I've sunk the most time into it. Anyway, I think JobTestPrep is the most accurate representation of the test. For example: in the latter portions of this section, many balls appear all around the periphery of the screen and are flying inward, which we observe in JTP but not ATCPrep. Just keep that in mind. I mostly used ATCPrep, and while I don't regret it, I think JTP is a better representation. Also, the math on the ATSA is pretty dang fast so be mindful of that. I think I had, like... five or six collisions? I'm not 100% sure. Some of them were dumb mistakes that I should have been on top of. My advice is don't ease up when you think you've eliminated the collisions.

Personality Test: I didn't give this much labor, just pick something and move forward. I think I was concerned with time (no watches or clocks allowed) so I was zooming my way through. Although, I will say that I feel slightly poopy because my answers align with sentiments such as: introversion, following rules, and not always taking charge. I tried not to think about that during the exam but now I feel like I totally just cooked my goose... but I was being honest. I feel as concerned about this as I am with the collision sim, lmao. I didn't want to lie and game the system, because they will know. JTP provides insight on this section of the test and I would recommend it.

Reading Comprehension: I thought it was fine. The passages are short and are easy to read, so again, I didn't labor over every answer. Pick one and go. With these last two sections, I had trouble managing time. I got everything done with a few minutes to spare but I don't know how I did.

Logical Reasoning: It's meant to be hard for everyone. I struggled at the end and had to blindly answer stuff. I wasn't freaked out very much during any one part of the test, but it's concerning when I see the time ticking down. Just do your best and make sure to answer every single question. Some were easy, others not so much. But I had to commit to an answer sooner or later and keep pushing.

Closing thoughts: Emotionally I feel pretty good and I didn't get my brain scrambled like I would have anticipated. But now after writing this reflection, I feel kinda down and not so confident that I did as well as I would have liked. But I guess many people feel that way. It is tough to not buy into the FUD.

Regarding test prep, again, I mostly used ATCPrep. It's cheap, and you can get good practice with the four skills. But I would recommend JobTestPrep-- while it's pricey, you get access to every aspect of the test. You might find something especially useful here that you couldn't gain with ATCPrep. I may or may not be kicking myself later when I get my results.

To everyone else waiting to test, you got this! Don't stress, eat a good breakfast and get some sleep!
Love this breakdown.

Lol at the two-finger technique on the visual relationship section. I definitely had more than a few hiccups on the second subsection where they throw in the eyeball — more hiccups than I would’ve liked, but it is what it is.

I also felt like I was answering the number differences just a tick faster than I would’ve liked because I didn’t wanna risk the test moving on to the next problem and throwing me off my groove, but I think I managed it pretty well.

The personality section, I wouldn’t say I tried to game the system because I answered honestly: I’m not a big people person/helper. I tell it how it is. I’m very direct. But I am just a tiny bit concerned, since there were so many questions on the personality section, if I remained consistent in all my answers, especially considering they’d rephrase statements multiple times in different ways.

Like you, I don’t wanna make any guarantees about how I did because, as some people have pointed out, those who feel confident walking out usually do poorly, and those who feel they bombed usually do pretty well. So we shall see.

It’s interesting you decided you stick with ATCPrep. I had both but ended up sticking with Job.

Anyway, welcome to the waiting club, my friend. We’ll either start the new year on the right foot or on the wrong foot lmao.

I take my test Thursday, but just curious regarding scores. Are only BQ guaranteed a class date? Obviously that's what you want to get, but if you get WQ or even just Q, are you pretty much done?

If any of you guys are still waiting to take the test, Job recently changed the spatial/visual practice to use the T and F keys, just incase any of you guys want to get some of last minute practice in to get that muscle memory thing down

Howdy, fam!

I just got back from taking the ATSA, and I wanted to give you guys a detailed overview of my experience while it’s still fresh in my mind.

First off, I want to thank Arbel_JTP and the team at JobTestPrep (Job) for creating a quality product that I felt fully prepared me for the test.

The six-month subscription was well worth the price, imo.

Had I gone in blind, there’s no way I would’ve performed as well as I think I did, but we shall see.

The test has seven sections with a 30-minute break for you to use however you’d like, although I only took a bathroom break after the collision sim/before the personality section.

Also, each section of the test (except the personality section) has a built-in practice section, and you can practice it as many times as you’d like before you start the test.

Section 1: Number Differences

This was exactly as Job, but there’s a difference.

For example:

Job: 6 (previous number) | 3 | ? (stays on the screen until you answer)

Job: This means Job WILL show you a question mark to let you know when to answer, and the question mark will stay on the screen until you enter your answer on the numpad.

ATSA: 6 (previous number) | 3 (stays on the screen until you answer)

ATSA: This means the ATSA WILL NOT show you a question mark to let you know when to answer, and the current number will stay on the screen until you enter your answer on the numpad.

Section 2: Equations with Variables

This section is divided into three subsections, and each subsection gets progressively harder.

That means you sort of get a “breather” and a chance to briefly reset yourself.

I) Subsection one is easy. You have to remember the values of three variables: A, B and C.

II) Subsection two is moderate. You have to remember the values of two variables and solve one equation to get the value of the third variable. For example: A = 1, B = 2, C = A+B

III) Subsection three is hard. You have to remember the value of one variable and solve two equations to get the values of the other two variables. For example: A = 1, B = A+3, C = B/4

Section one, number differences, and section two, equations with variables, were both very easy, imo. However, keep in mind that it does seem never-ending.

My suggestion is to get quick with mental math, and figure out a system that’ll help you remember and solve equations quickly.

Section 3: Visual Relationships

This section is divided into two subsections, so you will get a "mini breather" in between.

When I say "mini breather," I mean the test will give you instructions and a demo on the second subsection, and it will also let you practice as many times as you want.

I) Subsection one shows you big plane/little plane.

II) Subsection two shows you big plane/little plane AND big plane/little plane WITH an eyeball in front of the big plane.

Here’s another difference between Job and the ATSA.

Job: The keys are +/- for true/false.

ATSA: The keys are T/F for true/false.

I contacted Arbel a while ago, and he never got back to me, which is a bummer, but it is what it is.

I do hope they fix this in the future.

This creates a problem if you, like me, have been practicing with the +/- keys and have that muscle memory drilled into your brain.

I did pretty well on the first subsection without the eyeball.

After the first subsection, I had a mini breather and took a few seconds before starting the second subsection where I screwed up.

Just a note, I felt like the mini breather in between subsections actually worked against me because it took me out of the zone, so you may or may not feel the same way. In other words, ymmv.

Once I screwed up, I felt like the thing was going faster than a tornado.

I just felt like I stumbled when the eye was thrown into the picture, but I eventually got back on board. But I missed more problems than I would’ve liked on the second subsection despite practicing it many, many times on Job and ATCPrep (another test prep software) on the hardest difficulty.

Side note: Do yourself a favor and don't get ATCPrep. Get Job. Having purchased and practiced both, I can definitively say Job is the closest to the actual test in terms of speed and difficulty.

Bottom line: If you haven’t taken the ATSA yet, I strongly encourage you to spend a lot of time on the visual relationship section, and familiarize yourself with the T/F keys. In other words, plan whether you want to answer T/F with one finger or both. That's poorly worded, but you get my point.

Section 4: Collision Sim

This section is divided into two subsections, so you get another mini breather in between.

I) Subsection one is the radar WITHOUT the math problems at the bottom.

II) Section two is the radar WITH the math problems at the bottom.

Here’s another difference between Job and the ATSA.

Job: You press the F5-F8 keys to answer the math questions.

ATSA: You press the ASDF keys to answer the math questions.

Again, it’s a muscle memory thing. Some people won’t be bothered by the change, but others might.

Also, in case there’s any confusion, only press “0” to indicate there are no collisions when there are no collisions in a round. In other words, don’t press “0” after you’ve cleared the collisions because that would be wrong, and that’s what I was doing during my practice sessions on Job because the instructions weren't clear.

In case anyone was wondering, I had a total of 5 collisions on both sections of the test, not on each section.

Section 5: Personality Test

I took a break before starting the personality section, and I suggest you do the same because this section is really long.
The instructions mention they’ve developed checks within the personality test to check whether you were honest or deceitful in your answers, so you’ve been warned.

You cannot go back to a previous question. You have to answer questions one by one and cannot go back.

Also, there’s no practice section for this section.

The instructions also mention this section is NOT timed, but they do encourage you to work as quickly as you can without laboring over which answer to choose.

Keep in mind no one really knows whether they actually keep track of time behind the scenes. They actually might.

On this section, they’ll show you two separate blocks of statements with three statements in each block.

Then, for each block, you have to pick which of the three statements is most like you and which of the three statements is least like you.

As others who've taken the test have already mentioned, it seems like the statements repeat themselves multiple times throughout, and I think this is part of their "checking to see if you're being a phony" feature.

Section 6: Reading Comprehension

This section IS timed, and the instructions say they will penalize you by reducing your score if you do not answer all the questions.

Again, you cannot go back to previous questions. You must answer them one by one.

Also, they do give you a practice section before you start, but it’s not mandatory.

I found this section fairly easy, and I felt the paragraphs were much shorter than the paragraphs on Job.

Also, when practicing the reading comprehension section on Job, I felt like there wasn’t one clear answer choice, but the instructions on the ATSA say that there is only ONE correct answer, and I agree. The right answers were clear to me, at least.

Section 7: Logical Reasoning (AKA: Everybody's Favorite)

This section IS timed, and the instructions say they will penalize you by reducing your score if you do not answer all the questions.

Again, you cannot go back to previous questions. You must answer them one by one.

Also, they do give you a practice section before you start, but it’s not mandatory.

This section was hard as hell.

Some of the questions were super easy, like looking at a chart and getting information from it.

But I totally guessed on the logical ordering questions because there was nothing logical about them. I just don’t know how anyone can answer those types of questions in such a short amount of time without any pen or paper.

For example: Six people are going to work, and they all take the train to work. The train leaves at X time and the train leaves the station every 15 minutes. Who got there third or whatever, or which of the following must be true based on the info?

Ya, I dunno. Good luck on those, my friend. But thankfully, ordering questions don’t make up the entirety of the logical reasoning section.

The instructions state the logical reasoning section is meant to be challenging, so they are aware of how difficult these ordering-type questions are, so don’t beat yourself up if you have to guess (like I did) and move on to the next question to avoid running out of time.

And speaking of time, they will show you a countdown timer at the top of the screen to let you know how much time you have left on ALL the timed sections of the test.

After all this, you’re done. Congrats!

Now, we play the waiting game.

I really hope this was helpful.

If you have any questions, ask away!
Wow, what a great breakdown of the test! Thank you for the feedback and insights. We did change the keys to T and F, but I'm afraid this is the first time I hear about ASDF instead of F5-F8.
I assure you that we will fix whatever needs fixing (the question mark in the memory game too) before the next competition.
Good luck and fingers crossed you get BQ!

You said earlier that you felt like the collision sim was slower than you thought. Did you mainly practice on ATCprep or Job? How did you do on the part where many balls appeared around the periphery of the screen and fly inward? That part makes me nervous lol

Yea that is what I heard for the math part as well, that there are multiple choices with the same last digit. But some people in the past have said that they only answered about 10-20% of the math and have gotten BQ. So I'm sure it's mainly for distraction and to get you stressed out.

And yea sometimes I do horrible on the hard setting on job, so I mainly do the medium setting and then challenge myself once in a while with the hard. I guess I should practice more of the hard if it makes the test easier.

But sounds like you practiced enough and did well! Now you get to relax for a bit!
My Friends who got BQ said they answered more than 50% of the math to answering all of them. So who knows. You get more points for deleting the least aircraft for the collision as well idk if anyone said that yet theres too much to read in here lol. So Im sure the points of the simulation out weigh the math maybe.

My Friends who got BQ said they answered more than 50% of the math to answering all of them. So who knows. You get more points for deleting the least aircraft for the collision as well idk if anyone said that yet theres too much to read in here lol. So Im sure the points of the simulation out weigh the math maybe.
Yeah, but there've also been people who didn't focus on the math and also got BQ, so nobody knows how they score it. I only focused on the math when I could, and even when I could, I didn't answer questions I surely didn't know, like those with decimals, in fear I might get points taken off for answering incorrectly. And I honestly don't remember if it was stated in the instructions that they'll take points off for answering math questions incorrectly. I don't think so, but I can't say for sure cuz I don't remember.

Yeah, but there've also been people who didn't focus on the math and also got BQ, so nobody knows how they score it. I only focused on the math when I could, and even when I could, I didn't answer questions I surely didn't know, like those with decimals, in fear I might get points taken off for answering incorrectly. And I honestly don't remember if it was stated in the instructions that they'll take points off for answering math questions incorrectly. I don't think so, but I can't say for sure cuz I don't remember.

If points are removed for incorrect math, I’m screwed lol

You said earlier that you felt like the collision sim was slower than you thought. Did you mainly practice on ATCprep or Job? How did you do on the part where many balls appeared around the periphery of the screen and fly inward? That part makes me nervous lol
I thought it was important to not watch a single pair of planes to see if they’d crash, because then a different pair actually will crash. Even when the scenario seemed to play itself out, it was important that I had to keep scanning otherwise it would cost me.

If points are removed for incorrect math, I’m screwed lol
Yea, I really hope not lol. I'm not even sure the ones I answered were 100% right anyway cuz that thing popped on the screen for like a second. There was barely any time to look at the question.

I think you guys might be overthinking the ATSA lol. I get it, I read the guide on this site 2 times because I wanted to know what to expect. But it's not a test you can study for. Do your best and take your time, you have plenty. It's not nearly as mysterious as it seems once you get there (at least that's how I felt).

I think you guys might be overthinking the ATSA lol. I get it, I read the guide on this site 2 times because I wanted to know what to expect. But it's not a test you can study for. Do your best and take your time, you have plenty. It's not nearly as mysterious as it seems once you get there (at least that's how I felt).
Don't stress yourselves out about the ATSA. You got a lot to worry about on the road ahead if you think the ATSA is bad, it's a walk in the park compared to the rest of the process

Back
Top Bottom