Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-22-ATCEXP-76330

They definitely do, ask anyone from places like Nellis or Grand Forks to show you their lists.
Maybe to a certain extent, but IDK man. I argued on facebook with some boomers about it too, and they all called me out saying that it doesnt matter...

By any chance do you know how you got such a fast turn around? I finished my CIL and stuff April 5th and still waiting on medical.
Sorry man, my guess is that someone wants them to finish with this bid to get ready for the mass bids they have been pushing lately. I did not submit any VA claims to them, mainly because I do not have a rating from them yet. That might have sped it up, but its something Ill have to disclose later...

I knew quite a few people from Nellis and they would have Nellis +1 RAPCON in S Korea and they had like most of the same as seen here and 2-3 lvl 8/9 TRACONs. The best I’ve seen was a similar list to what others have and they had P50 on there. They ranked P50 #1 and got like some small tower in TX that wasn’t even in their top 5 rankings.

So basically if you have the experience to get those rare 8/9/10s your chances are still a bit slim. I would just get in the FAA ASAP and put in for a transfer as soon as you CPC.
Thats my thought...it just depends on the needs of the FAA at that time and who "meets the requirements" at minimum....sometimes you're lucky and sometimes you arent.

Thats my thought...it just depends on the needs of the FAA at that time and who "meets the requirements" at minimum....sometimes you're lucky and sometimes you arent.
How busy were the places you were at. Were they complex at all?

I just heard from someone who got picked up on this bid that all Center rehires will be going to Jacksonville Center UFN. Anyone else get ZJX on this bid or heard similar news?

I knew quite a few people from Nellis and they would have Nellis +1 RAPCON in S Korea and they had like most of the same as seen here and 2-3 lvl 8/9 TRACONs. The best I’ve seen was a similar list to what others have and they had P50 on there. They ranked P50 #1 and got like some small tower in TX that wasn’t even in their top 5 rankings.

So basically if you have the experience to get those rare 8/9/10s your chances are still a bit slim. I would just get in the FAA ASAP and put in for a transfer as soon as you CPC.
I agree, I was just basing it off of this bid alone. They've gotten pretty good lists with tracons and LVL-8s and higher.

Macdill--Not busy at all but a tiny bit complex*
Osan--Busy
Seymour Johnson Rapcon & Tower-- moderate for both I guess
How many ops/year? There are plenty low level FAA towers out there doing 80 to 100k ops a year. Bunch of military places aren't even close.

How many ops/year? There are plenty low level FAA towers out there doing 80 to 100k ops a year. Bunch of military places aren't even close.
Never was at Osan but I heard it’s busier than Kunsan and can be complex. But if it’s anything like Kunsan you will never get an accurate traffic count. People don’t care to write up strips and there’s no automated traffic count out there. You’re counting on probably a SrA to do the traffic count and no one checks. I’m sure it’s complex and busy during wing flying and those pushes from the trainers at Haemi, Gwangju, Taegu, etc. but I doubt it’s hitting the numbers at the 8/9/10s.

Never was at Osan but I heard it’s busier than Kunsan and can be complex. But if it’s anything like Kunsan you will never get an accurate traffic count. People don’t care to write up strips and there’s no automated traffic count out there. You’re counting on probably a SrA to do the traffic count and no one checks. I’m sure it’s complex and busy during wing flying and those pushes from the trainers at Haemi, Gwangju, Taegu, etc. but I doubt it’s hitting the numbers at the 8/9/10s.
That's my thinking. I think a lot of people underestimate the amount of ops some of these places working. There are lvl 5s out there working 100k+ ops a year.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I got nothing but 4-7s while having a 400k annual op tower on my resume (2 E/W parallels + 2 N/S parallels .. airfield looked like this - #). At one point I had found the hiring MOU that lays out the points system for ranking facility complexity. It’s quite arbitrary. Can’t remember exactly but they rank either parallels or intersecting a 1.0 and the other a 0.9 or 0.8 but they have no consideration for facilities which have both. Nor do they consider if/when you throw a banner field in the mix, or a helicopter pattern separate from your runways, or a blimp field.

For what it’s worth, I got nothing but 4-7s while having a 400k annual op tower on my resume (2 E/W parallels + 2 N/S parallels .. airfield looked like this - #). At one point I had found the hiring MOU that lays out the points system for ranking facility complexity. It’s quite arbitrary. Can’t remember exactly but they rank either parallels or intersecting a 1.0 and the other a 0.9 or 0.8 but they have no consideration for facilities which have both. Nor do they consider if/when you throw a banner field in the mix, or a helicopter pattern separate from your runways, or a blimp field.
I think that SOP is floating somewhere around this website. I've seen it before as well.

I mean this is an Agency that doesn't consider ASE a mountain airport for complexity factor... so... yea don't expect shit to make logical sense.

The reason my medical is taking a while is because the office I went to put that I passed vision without correction instead of with correction…..

So today is “placement day” from the list that I got last week. Does anyone know if I’ll find out today or is there more waiting?

Attachments

• FBAA50CF-1B15-4B2E-B2BB-333CE300EEB8.png
    FBAA50CF-1B15-4B2E-B2BB-333CE300EEB8.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 84
So today is “placement day” from the list that I got last week. Does anyone know if I’ll find out today or is there more waiting?
A little further down the email: “Once a facility assignment is determined, Aviation Careers (HR) will issue a Firm Offer Letter and you will negotiate a report date.”
You’d imagine they already have FOLs drafted up, and would just plug in the facility assignment, but who knows. I’m betting tomorrow we’ll get the news.

I found out my tower the morning of placement day, (based on my experience) another email will come with dates to choose from after you have selected a date you go back to HR for your set pay and FOL

A little further down the email: “Once a facility assignment is determined, Aviation Careers (HR) will issue a Firm Offer Letter and you will negotiate a report date.”
You’d imagine they already have FOLs drafted up, and would just plug in the facility assignment, but who knows. I’m betting tomorrow we’ll get the
I found out my tower the morning of placement day, (based on my experience) another email will come with dates to choose from after you have selected a date you go back to HR for your set pay and FOL
Yeah, I got the email around 3pm today. Got my #2, but trying (through connections) to get #1. Report dates are mid, late August and early September for you future guys reference.

So happy for all of you guys getting placed. I’m still stuck at medical.
Just a PSA for some who may not know because it took me a while to find it. When you do look for an update on your medical stuff (if you don’t already know why it’s taking forever) there is a number on top of that medical worksheet you filled out for the direct branch that handles your stuff. It’s a voicemail where you leave your name and number. They got back to me pretty fast with exactly what I was looking for an it actually helped them resolve an issue that they had as well. Also congrats to all
Who got placed today. Hopefully everyone got something that are ok with !!

Just a PSA for some who may not know because it took me a while to find it. When you do look for an update on your medical stuff (if you don’t already know why it’s taking forever) there is a number on top of that medical worksheet you filled out for the direct branch that handles your stuff. It’s a voicemail where you leave your name and number. They got back to me pretty fast with exactly what I was looking for an it actually helped them resolve an issue that they had as well. Also congrats to all
Who got placed today. Hopefully everyone got something that are ok with !!
Could you pass along that Phone Number.

Back
Top Bottom