Facility Safety Culture Issues

usaf100

I work at a lower level facility and am concerned about the safety culture here, things happen here that I feel wouldn’t happen anywhere else. I’m not sure what the best way to go about addressing it is.

If anyone can help in detail I would prefer to communicate via private message. Or share a similar story here.

Thank you.

^Pretty much, do an ATSAP about anything related to safety. Gets reviewed by a panel of NATCA and FAA bubbas, and you cant opt to leave personal info out.

What's the safety thing you're concerned about?

Just to echo what others are saying do an ATSAP. If it's bad enough your facility will get some attention from the ERC.

I have found the opposite. I have been really disappointed in that process.

Say what you need to on ATSAP repeatedly to cover your rear end if something should happen and the NTSB arrives, but unless people in your facility agree with you and want help from outside, it simply won’t happen. The ERC refers it back to the facility and the safety council. If you are the lone voice of discontent, forget it. The ERC doesn’t take any sort of proactive or directive role to the facility.

Just hope something doesn’t happen in the facility before you are no longer assigned there. Good luck.

The issues range from using cell phones on position to drinking alcohol and smoking weed on position, along with plenty of other stuff in between.

Uhh... yeah. ASTAP. Now. Especially after Vegas, I think the FAA will follow up VERY quickly on this.

The issues range from using cell phones on position to drinking alcohol and smoking weed on position, along with plenty of other stuff in between.
Honestly I'm not sure ATSAP will help with some of those issues, but I'd still do it anyways. Im assuming that you FACREP may not be of much help, but I'd be getting in contact NATCA regional or someone higher than your FACREP.

Yeah I tried to fight the cell phone fight once and I was left standing in a field alone when the facrep tried to twist it to throw ME under the bus, turned the facilty against me, management turned a blind eye. I didn’t want to fuck my career and be stuck there forever so I did what I had to to get out and figured it wasn’t worth it. Opened my eyes to natca though that’s for sure. You’re doing the right thing but be careful and be prepared for a shit storm or being blacklisted. It’s not right but unfortunately how it is some places.

The cell phone thing is pretty common. Drinking alcohol and smoking weed though!? ATSAP, talk to an RVP, that's crazy and dangerous and will make every one of us look horrible if there's an incident.

If you ATSAP from a FAA computer it won’t be private anymore correct? They can monitor any information that goes through. You can do it from home or your phone though. You should also have a NATCA computer available that is outside the network maybe.

Back
Top Bottom