Facility Selection after passing Academy.

TBurner96

Lurker
Rumor has it that a class in front of ours, has a student that got married to avoid the list that particular class is going to receive, seems as if they’re going to Minneapolis Center is what I’ve heard. Is that frowned upon by any means?

Rumor has it that a class in front of ours, has a student that got married to avoid the list that particular class is going to receive, seems as if they’re going to Minneapolis Center is what I’ve heard. Is that frowned upon by any means?
I will say something and it will not be popular with a quite a few people, no one has your best interests at heart but you. The FAA, NATCA, Management, etc... No one cares about you but you. If this is what it takes for you to be where you need to be or what you want, then it is up to you to do what is necessary. Do not listen to all the old timers/grumpy controllers who tell you that you need to do your time for the Agency. The NCEPT screwed over a lot of people who did their time and introduced a constantly changing policy every panel complete with "dynamic decisions." Quite a few of the Old Guard will tell you to suck it up and go where the Agency "assigned" because that is what happened to them, ignore it. Our culture of bending over for the Agency in hopes we do not get screwed needs to end as well as our culture of bashing trainees doing what is best for their lives or well being.

I will say something and it will not be popular with a quite a few people, no one has your best interests at heart but you. The FAA, NATCA, Management, etc... No one cares about you but you. If this is what it takes for you to be where you need to be or what you want, then it is up to you to do what is necessary. Do not listen to all the old timers/grumpy controllers who tell you that you need to do your time for the Agency. The NCEPT screwed over a lot of people who did their time and introduced a constantly changing policy every panel complete with "dynamic decisions." Quite a few of the Old Guard will tell you to suck it up and go where the Agency "assigned" because that is what happened to them, ignore it. Our culture of bending over for the Agency in hopes we do not get screwed needs to end as well as our culture of bashing trainees doing what is best for their lives or well being.
I think most people are on the "hate the game not the player" side these days actually. Plus, last I remember they still give the spot of the graduating student on the list to the others?

I think most people are on the "hate the game not the player" side these days actually. Plus, last I remember they still give the spot of the graduating student on the list to the others?
Agreed, a few rear there heads every now and then but most should be retired in the next 5 years or so. I think so, but if someone washes spots start dropping off that are last priority if memory serves (never went through academy myself).

You only get one slot per person in the class. If someone washes out then the bottom slot falls off. The person being married also drops one slot off the list as they are already assigned a facility.

You only get one slot per person in the class. If someone washes out then the bottom slot falls off. The person being married also drops one slot off the list as they are already assigned a facility.
There’s usually always one alternate like a ZAN or ZSU or Guam. I think they make it so everyone *technically* has a choice and isn’t outright forced somewhere. Though if it ends up coming down to like a ZNY and ZSU, that’s a pretty shitty choice to have to make.

There’s usually always one alternate like a ZAN or ZSU or Guam. I think they make it so everyone *technically* has a choice and isn’t outright forced somewhere. Though if it ends up coming down to like a ZNY and ZSU, that’s a pretty shitty choice to have to make.
Yea, though I'm not sure alternates are ALWAYS offered. Given the length of shutdown from the academy I could see them not offering any alternates until they catch up with getting people graduated

I think most people are on the "hate the game not the player" side these days actually.

Sadly, thinking this way can get you in trouble in the field. Always have your guard up and assume the person you're talking to has fallen into the boomer's trap.

Sadly, thinking this way can get you in trouble in the field. Always have your guard up and assume the person you're talking to has fallen into the boomer's trap.
100% you have to be aware because it just takes one. Personality assessment might be skill #1 for terminal grads

Back
Top Bottom