Facility Selection after passing Academy.

If you’re not staying go to ZLA and get the 12 right from the start. And the training environment is not bad compared to some Zs

If you’re not staying go to ZLA and get the 12 right from the start. And the training environment is not bad compared to some Zs
What's the advantage of getting the 12 from the start? The high taxes kind beat down the pay even more (it's around 33% once you CPC)

What's the advantage of getting the 12 from the start? The high taxes kind beat down the pay even more (it's around 33% once you CPC)
Save pay if you transfer. He can be like maxed out at a 10 after a couple years training at ZLA

Unless you plan on transferring to a low to mid level facility and staying there forever, in which case a 10 would put you at the max soon anyway, then getting the 12 first makes a massive difference in 20 years worth of compiling raises. Like a few million dollars worth. For real.

Unless you plan on transferring to a low to mid level facility and staying there forever, in which case a 10 would put you at the max soon anyway, then getting the 12 first makes a massive difference in 20 years worth of compiling raises. Like a few million dollars worth. For real.
lol it’s not a few million dollars

Agreed. I went to a 12 first and then to a 10 after 11 years. A guy who was senior to me by a year who had spent his whole time at the 10 made 30k less in base pay. Even with differentials and tsp matches, long term it's not a couple million.

I guess it's not a few million in this scenario, you're right. But compared to the lower levels it absolutely is. And you can also factor in an increased agency contribution to your tsp that is also compiling in the market over 20 years. Some controllers at lower levels don't really get much over 100k even later in their careers and some are grossing 200k for a whole career. And you also have to factor in a higher pension for anywhere from 0-40 years.

Agreed. I went to a 12 first and then to a 10 after 11 years. A guy who was senior to me by a year who had spent his whole time at the 10 made 30k less in base pay. Even with differentials and tsp matches, long term it's not a couple million.
Also another factor is your raises will constantly result in a higher dollar amount for the rest of your careers so the gap slowly increases.

I guess it's not a few million in this scenario, you're right. But compared to the lower levels it absolutely is. And you can also factor in an increased agency contribution to your tsp that is also compiling in the market over 20 years. Some controllers at lower levels don't really get much over 100k even later in their careers and some are grossing 200k for a whole career. And you also have to factor in a higher pension for anywhere from 0-40 years.
Maybe compared to an tower. But the lowest center is a 9.

Agreed. I was surprised the classmates ahead of me passed on my 12 w/ high locality when we picked. Even at D1, it’s a very comfortable living.

I looked around but couldn't find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to understand all the pay related stuff everyone is talking about in this thread?

New guy looking to hopefully apply in the next OTS bid. Thank you guys in advance.

Back
Top Bottom